Author Topic: Isabella Craig  (Read 1692 times)

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Craig
« on: Tuesday 16 June 20 11:57 BST (UK) »
I am looking for details about  Isabella Craig when she immigrated to Canada and where in Quebec she may have lived.  I have only the following information for her.  born on 15 August 1878 in Claudy, Londonderry  Northern Ireland  she was living there when the 1911 census was taken.

"New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957"
I found an immigration record with the following   birth date: 1878 age: 38 Last permanent address LONGFORD, IRELAND in index and on the record BALLYCONNELL, CAVAN, IRELAND. She was working as a maid in Ballyconnell.  Arrival Date14/04/1916    Nationality Irish: Port of Departure Liverpool, England:  Port of Arrival New York, New York, USA Ship Name St Paul.

Her brother John Cunningham Craig lived on  1 Jun 1921 at • Cité de Montréal, Montreal (St Denis), Quebec, Canada,

Isabella Craig married Sam Colhoun (spelling may differ)  in Quebec, Canada, on 20 July 1926 when she was 47 years old.  I dont know where  in Quebec.

Her husband Sam passed away in 1948 in Canada at the age of 46. They had been married 22 years.  Again I dont Know where

Isabella Craig died in 1955 in Quebec, Canada, when she was 77 years old.  Sorry again I dont know where.

i think she first left Ireland to go to the USA where her sister Margaret had been living  and then crossed over into Canada. 

Any information would be most welcome thankyou 

Regards

Angela
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Craig
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 13:08 BST (UK) »
Isabella is not mentioned in the death notice for John Cunningham Craig.

The Gazette
Montreal, Quebec, Quebec, Canada
27 Aug 1965, Fri    Page 37

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/53605765/john-cummingham-craig-27-august-1965/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 June 20 13:17 BST (UK) »
Sandra, Thank you once again for that, I thought Isabella  may be mentioned in her husband's death notice.  Sam Coloun.  in 1926.  I have managed to fill in some details of John Cunningham Craig's family.

Regards  Angela
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 June 20 18:45 BST (UK) »
Where did the date of the marriage and death for Samuel Colhoun/Coloun come from ?

We need some idea of where the marriage and the deaths may have occurred  in Canada.  There is no BMD index. The unknown spelling of the surname doesn't help the search.

How do you know Isabella died in 1955 ?

When was Samuel born ?  What were his parents names ? Did he have other siblings in Canada ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 June 20 11:43 BST (UK) »
Samuel Walker Colhoun was born on 18 December 1901.

Samuel Colhoun was born to Fanny Alexander and Robert Colhoun, in the Townland of Clogher, Strabane, Co Tyrone

MOTHER'S DEATH
23 Dec 1910 • Letterkenny, Donegal, Ireland
Fanny Alexander Colhoun died when Samuel was 9 years old. She was an innkeepers wife.

Departure for Canada
9 JUL

AGE 19

Arrival -  Returned from Canada
9 Jul 1921 • Liverpool, England
20 JUL

AGE 24

Marriage
Samuel Walker Colhoun married Isabella Craig in Quebec, Canada, on 20 July 1926 when he was 24 years old.  I took this information from other peoples family  trees.

Death
Samuel Walker Colhoun died on 17 March 1948 in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada, when he was 46 years old.

17 Mar 1948 • Kamloops, British Columbia Death
Samuel Walker Colhoun died on 17 March 1948 in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada, when he was 46 years old.

17 Mar 1948 • Kamloops, British Columbia   
British Columbia, Canada, Death Index, 1872-1990

Name Sam Calhoun Gender Male Birth Year1896 Death Age 52 Death Date 17/03/1948 Death Location Kamloops  Registration Number1948-09-095109BCA Number B13376GSU Number2034106

I just located above information on a Sam Calhoun, his birth year was Dec 1901 so its out by 5 years.  I again originally got the date of other peoples family trees.  Sam was about 23 years younger than Isabella Craig.

Isabella Craig was born in 1878, her parents were John Cunningham Craig (same name as brother) and Rebecca Reilly.  She was born in 15 Aug 1878 • Tenaught, Claudy, Londonderry, Northern Ireland.

Thank you so much for all the work you have put into this search

Angela

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 June 20 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Sam who died in Kamloops (Deadman's Creek) March 17, 1948 was born in British Columbia. His death registration is here.
http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/0edcc1b9-5ce3-4e3d-b4d0-2ebd1561cce1

I think this is him in the 1921 Canadian census in Deadman's Creek, BC
Calhone, Sam age 24, b. BC, farmer
Calhone, Martine age 19 b. BC
Calhone, Agnes 4/12mths b. BC
https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1921&op=img&id=e002869316

Not likely your chap I'd say. If Isabella was married in Quebec in 1926, I can't find it.

DB

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 June 20 16:56 BST (UK) »
I think this is that Samuel on the 1911 census in Deadman's - with his parents John and Agnes and several siblings.  Samuel gives his birth date as January 1897.  Family starts at line 37.

https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1911&op=&img&id=e001944085

I agree with dbree - this is not your man. 

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 June 20 17:21 BST (UK) »
The passenger list from 1916 that you mentioned in your initial post says Isabella is going to her sister in Westchester NY.  I am looking at the passenger list image on the free Ellis Island site.  I can't read the sister's name....you said the sister in the USA was called Margaret.  I am not sure that this says Margaret??   Looks like there is a middle name too?  Could it be Miller??  Can anyone else see the passenger list and decipher the writing?? 

The 1916 passenger list says Isabella's father is Thomas Craig, Tuberlion, Ballyconnell, Co. Cavan.   It also says that she has been in the USA before (New York) from 1909 - 1912 (again- hard to read)

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 June 20 17:33 BST (UK) »
Do you know anything more about the American sister?  Maybe her obit would mention Isabella??

RK