Author Topic: Good News - Dexamethasone  (Read 755 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Good News - Dexamethasone
« on: Tuesday 16 June 20 13:25 BST (UK) »
There is now a treatment that can cut deaths of those on mechanical mentilators by one third and those on oxygen by one fifth.
The standard use drug Dexamethasone has been shown to be effective is such cases.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Good News
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 13:41 BST (UK) »
Just seen that in the news Guy, good news indeed.
Plus the School meals voucher scheme is extended.
And. A Mayor for Lancashire, not sure yet what benefits that will bring.
How different from A Lord Lieutenant?
Oh, just on the news now,all 15 areas will have a voice - unity is strength!
 Viktoria.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 13:42 BST (UK) »
I have just seen this (though BBC figures don't tally throughout their article).

So two treatments now which can help -
Dexamethasone, been around for years, can help those who need only oxygen and those who need ventilating.
Remdesivir a new drug, reduces duration of illness.

Both of some limited use, but we are finding out more every day. Fantastic news.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 13:52 BST (UK) »
Next double blind trial - a combination of dexamethasone and remdesivir?

Unethical maybe to give some patients a placebo, but could have three groups - one on dexamethasone, one on remdesivir, a third on both.
I'll ring them up to suggest it  ;D

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hospitals already use remdesivir, to treat Covid-19 it is said to shorten the duration of infection.
I assume they will now use Dexamethasone if the patient needs oxygen therapy or to go on a ventilator.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 14:43 BST (UK) »
Patients who are just on oxygen are not currently in this country on remdesivir. I don't know that this will change.

Those ventilated patients on remdesivir are currently not on dexamethasone, unless they were part of the trial.
A new trial would have to start to evaluate the combined effects of remdesivir and dexamethasone - enhanced side effects, possibly dose change, potential interactions etc.

I can't see everyone on a ventilator getting both drugs at the same time without evaluation.

I was on Orion-4 drug trial to see if a new injection, proven to lower cholesterol levels in those whose levels remained elevated in spite of maximum drug therapy, also reduced mortality, stroke, heart attack etc.

I.e. It is known that inclisiran reduces cholesterol and it is known that reducing cholesterol reduces incidence of heart attacks and strokes. What is not known is if inclisiran reduces heart attacks and strokes.

Hence the trial, currently suspended. I only got one injection, no idea whether it was inclisiran or placebo.

Regards Margaret

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 14:56 BST (UK) »
I have just googled 'dexamethasone antiviral interaction'.

Google changed it to antiretroviral, but there are potentially serious interactions.

When I searched for "antiviral" it was more about enhanced or reduced antiviral effect, i.e. dosage might have to be adjusted.

Regards Margaret

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
hy oh why do they not get a sceintist or
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 14:56 BST (UK) »
I have just seen this (though BBC figures don't tally throughout their article).
Why oh why do they not get a numerate person [needn't be a statistician or scientist] to read the draft article? I have noticed a lot of mathematical errors creeping in to BBC website articles recently.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 15:58 BST (UK) »
Patients who are just on oxygen are not currently in this country on remdesivir. I don't know that this will change.

Those ventilated patients on remdesivir are currently not on dexamethasone, unless they were part of the trial.
A new trial would have to start to evaluate the combined effects of remdesivir and dexamethasone - enhanced side effects, possibly dose change, potential interactions etc.

I can't see everyone on a ventilator getting both drugs at the same time without evaluation.

I was on Orion-4 drug trial to see if a new injection, proven to lower cholesterol levels in those whose levels remained elevated in spite of maximum drug therapy, also reduced mortality, stroke, heart attack etc.

I.e. It is known that inclisiran reduces cholesterol and it is known that reducing cholesterol reduces incidence of heart attacks and strokes. What is not known is if inclisiran reduces heart attacks and strokes.

Hence the trial, currently suspended. I only got one injection, no idea whether it was inclisiran or placebo.

Regards Margaret

I was not meaning at the same time, the way I understood the recommendations was assessed patients would be given a short course of remdesivir, in one of the first stages by the time they need a ventilator it is too late to try remdesivir. The treatment with dexamethasone is for patients who require forced oxygen therapy or treatment on a ventilator machine.
Cheers
Guy