Author Topic: 1851 Lancashire census lookup  (Read 34282 times)

Offline Rosemarie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Lancashire census lookup
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy

I've assumed, as you sent your message via the Lancashire board, that the six people listed are all from Lancashire. I've had a look through 1851/61 in Lancashire for a combination of brothers Joseph/Edward Hilton (with +/- two years on year of birth given for Joseph) but without any success.

I've searched for William/Mary Foster in 1861 but again no joy - any idea where/when they married?

George and Elizabeth Walden are similarly elusive - I searched on +/- five years of 1811 because Walden is quite an unusual name, or it was back then, and there were only 6/12 right across England for the 1841 to 1861 censuses and none at all living/born in Lancashire.

Have you any idea where any of your GGGs were born or where they may be living in 1861? I'm happy to have another stab at this if you can provide any more detail.

Best wishes

Marie.
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

IRELAND:CostelloSauce,Hatchell
Connolly/Conneelly(Kilkerrin,Co Galway)
WALES: Flintshire-Roberts
CHESHIRE-Irby: Ledsham,Roberts,Bennett
LANCS:
Liverpool: Howard
Halewood: Ellison, Turton,
Prescot: Cross, Hornby, Prescott
Warrington: Sauce
Widnes: Connolly, Cross, Currie, Prescott
Manchester: Currie
Altcar: Howard, Bolton
ASHFORD: Dale,Ellis
SCOTLAND: Currie,Lindsay,McDonald, Savage,

Offline cathleen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 08 June 06 14:51 BST (UK) »
Rosemarie,

I was always told that the family was from the Liverpool area...at least that is the way the "legend" went...  that is the only information I have in regards to a specific area...but of course that could have been since that was where the ship left from...and my parents thought that is where their relatives were from...I really don't know...is there a central census for all of England or does one have to look up district by district?

Thanks for all your help.

Cathy Lee

Offline Rosemarie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 08 June 06 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy

Yes it's possible to search right across England and Wales on each census which was why I did that for Walden as it is quite an unusual name. On the subject of the Waldens, they were apparently in their fifties when they emigrated and presumably had children or they wouldn't have been your gggs. The children would have been born before they emigrated  - do you know names or ages of any of their children?

There were 24 Joseph Hiltons across the country in 1861 whose year of birth was +/- 2 years 1842 and a similar number of William Fosters in his respective age range which does make it difficult to identify the correct families without knowing from whence they hailed. Most of the Joseph Hiltons were in Lancashire with a handful from other counties but none from Liverpool.

I think the main ports for emigration to the US were London and Liverpool so the port of embarkation wouldn't have been too significant. There was some from Scotland and Ireland but I think most Irish emigrants travelled to Liverpool and sailed form there and presumably the Scots did too. I've had no cause to investigate the shipping records but if we don't have any success here you may get further with shipping records as you have the year of emigration.

Sorry I've been unable to turn up anything so far but they're all there somewhere.

Marie.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

LANCS:
ASHFORD: Dale,Ellis
SCOTLAND: Currie,Lindsay,McDonald, Savage,

Offline cathleen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 08 June 06 17:16 BST (UK) »
Marie,

The Walden's were the parents I believe of Mary M. Foster (b.1840) the wife of William...they(the Walden's) did not come over to the states until after their daughter was here...Mary and William and several of the children i.e. their first chiod a girl Thirza b. 1861 in England, their first son, Joseph b. in England  they migrated in 1868 and they are on the New Jersey 1870 census...The Walden's don't show up until 1880 and at that time they are living with the Foster's!!! It states on the census that everyone was born in England!

Hilton Family
In regards to Joseph and Edward Hilton...I believe they arrived in New York City in March of 1868...but I have not been able to find the ship they came on as of yet>

Any help or direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
Cathy

Offline Rosemarie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 08 June 06 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy

I was going to email the info on all eight of the George Waldens I found on the 1861 census but I'll have another look in light of the additional info before I do that.  None had a wife named Elizabeth though.

Have had another look at the Hiltons in 1851 because Joseph and Edward would have been quite young then and still at home. I did a search right across the country again and as I said most were in Lancashire anyway and the nearest I could come up with was Joseph T(?) aged 8, so born 1842/3, and Edmund aged 5, so born 1845/6. They were born and lived in Rochdale. The problem with looking at the 1861 census is that they would be old enough to work and poss no longer living at home. Is Edmund a possibility?

Marie.

LANCS: