Author Topic: Diary Tuesday 16th June  (Read 609 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary Tuesday 16th June
« on: Wednesday 17 June 20 00:26 BST (UK) »
And so to another day...

I was awake at 4.30am this morning ... lord knows why and I tossed and turned but was finding it hard to go back to sleep...
Decided to see if Waitrose had any c n c slots... yes plenty so booked one for Wednesday of next week... to make their minimum £40 order I clicked on a bottle of champagne for £44 .... must remember to take it off before next week!
Finally got back to sleep then woke with a real start a lot later than I'd wanted to... up straight away and usual breakfast. OH been up for ages...
Quickly got sorted outside as two neighbours coming for coffee at 10.30am... rushed around hoovered the lounge & conservatory... what the heck for they're not coming in the house you daft woman.. oh well old habits die hard don't they...
Friends arrived and we enjoyed sitting in the sunshine having good natter along with coffee home made scones and chocolate and orange cake...
By the time they'd left it was lunch time... still enjoying O.H's lovely bread...
Sat outside and chatted for a while then it was time for Zoom with my book Club friends... lovely to see them all and the book we discussed was 'Where the crawdads sing by Delia Owens... it was a great read and we'd all enjoyed it, I'd certainly recommend it... reviews were mixed and consensus was a bit like marmite... love it or dislike it!
One of the girls lives in South of France now near  Carcasson so we discussed the differences between France and England lockdown... they're 1 mtre distancing, out to restaurants, schools back next week, gatherings unlimited numbers so quite different from here so far.
Late afternoon by now had quick tidy up, review strawberries to make sure slugs not eating them, picked first courgette of the season ...
Quick shower and off we go to our friends and neighbour behind us for a BBQ ... lovely to sit in someone else's garden...
black clouds looming
Claps of thunder
Few spots of rain
BBQ already in process of cooking
Retreat to their garden room that has bifold doors on three sides so feels like being outside with a roof...
Heavens open and rain us torrential - have to pull doors in slightly as rain coming in!
Sit socially distances at large table... enjoy a meal together and nice to chat...
Finally leave about 10.30pm at least rain stopped and only have to walk down the lane!
My it's been a busy day all these social events far too much for one day and I'm completely shattered...

Catch up with others in the morning... hope your days been good too!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Tuesday 16th June
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 08:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roobarb. I am  trying to retrieve my life in a cautious manner, but there is a very long way to go.
Aww, what a shame it rained on the BBQ Caroline, but what a lovely social day.  Not surprised you were shattered. 
Your husband moved the whole of the front of the house!!  Sounds like he should become a National Treasure.  Perhaps we could all borrow him for a few years at a time?

Viktoria, you brought back memories with saying: "The vibrations were awful. Pictures dancing on the walls."  The house in London where I was brought up was one terrace row away from the railway line, and every time a train went by everything rattled and jiggled about.  The floors in the house sloped so that if you put a cotton reel on the floor in one corner it would roll itself right along to the opposite corner, so I think perhaps the foundations were shifting a little.  ;)

After breakfast H and I took a walk  along the seafront esplanade just for exercise, and then back for lunch. Although there were plenty of dark clouds threatening we didn't get wet. The tide was low. In the harbour, someone had used a rake to draw a lovely pattern in the sand with flowers, hearts and a smiley face.
After sandwich lunch a quick tidy up before SiL arrived for a cuppa and a chat.  No hugging, and distanced with the balcony door open as usual.  She has been able to spend time with her grandsons and seems to be starting to find her feet a bit.  At the start of all this it felt so awful not to be hugging, now I begin to wonder how we will get back to it.

A walk around the pond and along Goodrington front after tea.  A pleasant evening.  There was a family of ducklings roosting quite close to the path, so I do hope it was a safe spot. A few years ago a fox swam across to the island each night and stole a cygnet until they were gone. I feel if it is still around it could easily jump over the fence to those ducklings.

House martins flying around low to the water. Catching flies and drinking perhaps.  Checking carefully I found 5 new nests under the eves of the motel "Inn on the Quay" close by. They get smashed down regularly, and those brave little birds start from scratch every year.

Watched "The house through time" and half a "Foyle's War".

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 09:00 BST (UK) »
Mowsehowse- how lovely to see the house martins flying across the water, they are such graceful birds to watch. When we're sitting outside in the evening we see them flying around... there used to be great numbers of them but over the years there have been far fewer and we've seen a handful this year and not on a nightly basis ... I wonder what's happened to them.. we live in a rural community with lots of barns etc for them to nest in so it's quite sad not to see them. We also get pipistral bats but again not in the numbers or frequency as before.

I can tell you having the whole front of the house sliced off like a piece of cake was no joke!
 The night before the roofer was due it poured with rain and was very windy so we were up trying to lash the tarpaulin down and buckets everywhere! I could write a book on ' living in a house whilst half if it wasn't there'!
He still talks about buying a plot of land and building.... 😱😱😱my worst nightmare... only this time he'd have to get others in to do it as he's too old for all that sort of hard work... plus having had a back operation, two new hips and a shoulder op! That's PE teaching for you and building all those years ago!
The house looks wonderful after all his hard work and we've been very happy here for 33 years... I'm not keen to move despite the house probably being a little on the large side for us now and the garden is large and we're not getting any younger! .......

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 09:04 BST (UK) »
Wow, he is actually BIONIC too......  :D

Seriously though, I can imagine it was a bit of a nightmare even though the results are fabulous.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 09:46 BST (UK) »
Yes, he says he’s a man of many parts ... all spare ones!
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 09:49 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 11:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for starting the diary Caroline, I wasn't copping out, I was just so tired last night, the reasons for that are in my diary. Your house sounds lovely, what a trial that must have been but it does make for some entertaining stories now.

Mowsehowse, it's lovely to hear about the wildlife around you, I hope the ducklings survive. I know it's nature for animals to prey on others but I hate it, I can't stand watching those programmes about Africa where an antelope or suchlike is fleeing from its predator.

Diary:

Couldn't get to sleep on Monday night, nothing in particular, just random thoughts flitting in and out of my head. It was after 4 am when I finally went off and as a result slept late but not long enough for what I need, I don't function well on much less that eight hours. Dragged myself out of bed after cups of tea and reading the news. Did bits of things like emptying the dishwasher, put ingredients for spag bol in the slow cooker. Late lunch.

Felt quite restless and couldn't properly settle to anything, did a bit of my painting then decided to go for a walk even though I'd be having a longer walk with my friend later on. Quite a few people on the field with children, don't know if they'd just come out of school. Weather very grey again, mist coming in from the sea too but it wasn't cold.

Back home, made myself do some bits of housework and some more touches to my painting. The oil pastels are very convenient as I don't need pots of water etc and I can leave everything on the kitchen table. The only problem with that is that I can't use it for eating off and the kitchen looks a mess! I usually eat off my lap anyway, I know it's not good, certainly not the way I was brought up but when you live on your own it's nice to have the TV on for company.

Just after five I went to meet my friend, she lives quite near me and finishes work from home at five. It was lovely to see her, I was telling her what a state I'd got myself in on my first venture out and she said that some people from work had been exactly the same. We walked across to the path that runs along the other side of the railway line, down to the coast road. I'd never been down there despite all the years I've lived here, she told me that the path gets narrower further down and we could see if I was comfortable with it. She gave me confidence, we encountered only a few people, one on a bike and a couple walking, we managed to stand aside in different bits of vegetation, not two metres from the people passing by but only alongside momentarily. Down to the coast road, along there, there was a heavy mist rolling in from the sea. Did a circular route back around through the neighbouring village (Getting bigger, won't qualify as a village the way it's going). Lots of people out on bikes which is great but not great that for some reason they think it's okay to ride on the footpath. We were out for an hour and a half, I so enjoyed it having some personal interaction with my friend and a long walk in the fresh air.

Back home, spag bol was ready to eat and I had a good appetite. Some Rootschatting, half an eye on the TV. Went to bed so tired, out like a light!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 12:06 BST (UK) »
Don't worry, we all feel like that sometimes! I have to say I was dog tired but thought I'd just do it while all fresh in the mind.
I feel very lucky we live in a nice village (except motor bike noise) and OH has certainly done a great job with it... probably the cause of his various operations along with sport all his life personally and as PE teacher! Definitely could  tell a tale or two about house re-vamping period!

Pleased to hear you'd met up with your friend and were able to have a good chat and nice walk, all good for your wellbeing and as a result a great nights sleep... makes you feel so much better doesn't it?

Look forward to catching up later...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 14:15 BST (UK) »
Lovely for you to meet up with your friend Roobarb.
Hope you get to do it again soon.