Author Topic: surname IRISH  (Read 4560 times)

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
surname IRISH
« on: Friday 06 August 04 07:57 BST (UK) »
I am interested in the surname IRISH in the Bushey,Bushey Heath area in the latter part of the 19th century
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: surname IRISH
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 September 04 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

As you have an interest in the Irish surname in Bushey I wonder if you can help me with a puzzle.

Do you have any info on Joseph Irish a 70 year old widow who was the licencee of the Three Crowns, Bushey Heath in 1851.

He has a 6 year old niece living with him at the time called Isabella Main. Also, in Abotts Langley there is a George Vine Hodsdon licencee of the Unicorn married to Harriett Irish who also have a niece living with them called Harriett Main aged 10.

I'm sorry if I'm confusing you. !!!!!!

On the 1871 census George & Harriett Hodsdon now have a niece living with them named Fanny Spurgeon aged 9. I have a feeling this is my Grt Grandmother who was actually registered as Isabella Spurgeon in 1861 but when she married my Grt Grandfather she had taken her mothers maiden name & was then known as Frances Isabella Main.

After all of this, in your research have you seen any connection to the names Irish, Hodsdon, Main or Spurgeon.

I would be grateful for any help but if you can't, thanks any way.

Regards
Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 September 04 20:45 BST (UK) »
A possibility.
I have a Joseph Irish b. circa 1780 in the Watford area possibly in Aldenham.
He married Sarah
3 known children
John b.1809 Aldenham
Sarah b.1812 Aldenham
Frances [F] b.1807 Aldenham.
The Irish in my [wifes] tree are descended through John the family are in Bushey by 1863.
I have yet to do more research. I can't find a Harriet yet.

I will do more searching

Regards
Tom
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 September 04 01:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Tom.

Not sure if it's significant but the Joseph Irish on the 1851 was born in Somerset, or so the census says. !!!!!

Here's hoping you might find some connection.

Regards
Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 September 04 12:49 BST (UK) »
I have come across the Somerset IRISH before, they are unrelated[so far] to mine.

Regards

Tom
Tree