Author Topic: UK Infection numbers  (Read 6810 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: UK Infection numbers
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 20 June 20 14:34 BST (UK) »
Personally I've taken comfort in reading the NHS/ONS reports as they are factual with no 'agenda', unlike politicians or the press, who will spin things according to their political allegiances.  As the saying goes: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics.

Agreed.

On a site used by people with an interest in family history you'd think it might be well understood that the central recording of deaths is not an exact art, and expecting to have accurate figures of all the people who have died from a specific cause reported, collated, checked and published by 4pm the next day (weekends included) is an expectation beyond reasonable or practicable.

I think the people involved in gathering and processing the data have done a remarkable job in the circumstances, and articles like the one in the Guardian just denigrates the effort that has been put in to keep us informed.

So glad you explained the various processes involved when a person dies who went into hospital for one ailment but medics state death from another cause.  It's then a lengthy delay whilst the Registrar contacts family and during n arranged meeting asks if they're satisfied with the reasons for the death, or would they like to take the matter "further".

For your reasons, I'm not blaming any government, even though I think a few should be replaced.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 20 June 20 15:14 BST (UK) »
Just seen today's latest number of infections: 1346. So its up again

17th June 1115
18th June 1218  9.2% up on 17th
19th June 1346  10.5% up on 18th

1295 today - so come down a bit.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 20 June 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
Lizzie, these are all estimates  and should be treated as such -  no more and no less.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 June 20 16:01 BST (UK) »
Lizzie, these are all estimates  and should be treated as such -  no more and no less.

I don't think its fair to say the numbers are estimates, they are the number of lab-confirmed cases announced on a particular day, which is, of course, not the same as the number of people infected in total, but then no country could provide that data.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public

A link within the documents explains the methodology for the figures.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 20 June 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
Ipsos Mori and Imperial College London are carrying out random testing on behalf of Dept of Health and Social Care to find out how much virus is circulating in the population without symptoms.

After initial contact by letter requesting agreement to take part, a swab test will be sent and then on completion collected by a courier.  Hopefully this will provide some useful information.  OH, niece and a neighbour have all been chosen to take part.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 20 June 20 19:25 BST (UK) »
Ipsos Mori and Imperial College London are carrying out random testing on behalf of Dept of Health and Social Care to find out how much virus is circulating in the population without symptoms.

After initial contact by letter requesting agreement to take part, a swab test will be sent and then on completion collected by a courier.  Hopefully this will provide some useful information.  OH, niece and a neighbour have all been chosen to take part.
And me. My kit arrived today.

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 20 June 20 19:39 BST (UK) »
In today's Eastern Daily Press, Dr Louise Smith, Director of Public Health for Norfolk said of the number of confirmed cases:
"These figures are in line with what we expected.
I don't have the data locally to know whether the people diagnosed as positive in our local system are going through test and trace. That is data I would very much like to have.
...... moving towards much more specific, clinical level data about care for individuals.... That's a very different level of data and at the moment the national strategy and system is not established for that to be managed at a local level. "

There has been much talk (from government) about possibly 'moving swiftly' to contain local outbreaks, as other countries have done, notably China currently dealing with the outbreak in Beijing. But if the local Director of Public Health isn't being given the necessary data how would these local lockdowns be managed? If this regional data is available why can't she have it?

I'm afraid I shall go on taking the same precautions including 2m distancing & not going to crowded places - & all my friends of my generation say the same - & some younger generation too. There might be a much lower risk of catching it, but if I do, it'll still be just as serious for me personally as before.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

guest189040

« Reply #34 on: Saturday 20 June 20 20:20 BST (UK) »
Do be very careful with a hint of scepticism in believing data.

It is obvious to me that the Government is now changing focus on reviving the economy, which is going to be in a very poor shape for quite a time.

My advice based on 25 years working in the NHS is simple, if you are in an at risk category you will remain in that category and hence still be at risk of CV19 which will remain out there.

Be safe, maintain your own social distancing and await the availability of a vaccine.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 21 June 20 06:33 BST (UK) »

And me. My kit arrived today.

My brother has too
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.