Author Topic: Murder in Donegal 1800's  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Daler68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Murder in Donegal 1800's
« on: Wednesday 17 June 20 09:12 BST (UK) »
I received a random message (on a completely different site) that read's ""There's story attached to the Rodden home re: a border who was staying there. There was a murder in the 1800s""

I have googled all the Irish newspapers I can think off, but zero results......person who sent me message has since deleted their profile.............anyone have any clues??

thanks

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Murder in Donegal 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 09:49 BST (UK) »
Newspapers seems like the best bet but the print can be so bad from those early dates getting a result is more luck than anything.
Maybe a few more words to try searching with, where was the Rodden home for example.

Offline Daler68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

Unfortunately no-one knows the name of the farm/property, other than the 'Rodden home' - my eldest brother claims it was called Cloonmore, but he has since been educated that Cloonmore is more of a neighborhood/townland than a property name, and all we know is that it is in Donegal, which doesn't help either.

cheers Dale

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 22:57 BST (UK) »
Properties rarely have names in Ireland. Having the townland name is gold dust in Irish research.

Offline Daler68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann, According to Tithe Applotment 1882 Books - Townland-> Terryglass / Parish ->Taughboyne

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 23:26 BST (UK) »
Brian Rodden had a sandpit in Cloonmore in 1902.

Only murder I can find in the area was of Patrick Ferry in 1896 but her was a local farmer, can't see anything other than the names of the men arrested.

Offline Daler68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

There should have been a second part to my post.....my very basic geographical knowledge of Ireland is that Terryglass doesn't seem to fit the locale of Donegal .... where all the family appears to have been based.....My great great grandfather - Charles Rodden (or Rodan) whose son in Brian Rodan (or Rodden) is also listed in Tithe apploment books for a tax assessment 1814-1845 under Kilmacrenan, Drumoghill Mountain, Donegal.....

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 23:42 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few Rodden in Donegal in the Applotment books.
Always difficult knowing if you have found the correct person, even more difficult as not everyone is listed only those on enough land to pay tax, so you need to find where they come from on later records.

Offline Daler68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 June 20 01:56 BST (UK) »
Pretty much all the Rodden in Donegal are my relations....yes it's very complex.