Author Topic: Murder in Donegal 1800's  (Read 1883 times)

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Murder in Donegal 1800's
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 June 20 07:49 BST (UK) »
1860 James Rodden was charged with the murder of James Murray at Glenveagh.

Offline Daler68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 June 20 08:35 BST (UK) »
do you have a link for that?

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 June 20 10:21 BST (UK) »
No link
Irish Newspapers Archives (subscription)
Mainly the Belfast Newsletter and the Dundalk Democrat
All these events would be considered as part of the activities of the Ribbonmen.
In Nov 1860 James Murray, Scottish, married man, one child, land agent for JD Adair was murdered.
Among the men arrested was James Rodden, a witness (a herd) claimed Rodden's foot prints were in the mud where the murder happened.

In Feb 1861 all twelve people charged with the murder of Murray and shooting of Rev Nixon were all discharged. The informer was unable to even point out the place where Murray was murdered.

In March 1861 two people were charged with perjury. James Boyce and Deery. Deery seems to be well known for swearing against the people of the area, he pleaded guilty to the charges. In this last article Rodden's name is give as Manus. It's not clear if this is the same Rodden mentioned earlier.

As a result of Murray's murder forty five families were evicted.

There are loads of articles but I just don't have time to read them all.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 June 20 10:50 BST (UK) »

In Feb 1861 all twelve people charged with the murder of Murray and shooting of Rev Nixon were all discharged. The informer was unable to even point out the place where Murray was murdered.

Have a look at this article in Trove.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/18640302

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 June 20 11:10 BST (UK) »
Making Sense of the Molly Maguires
By Assistant Professor of History Kevin Kenny
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pm0/

KG

Added: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pm1/
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Daler68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 June 20 23:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your responses, but I think we are all looking at the wrong story.

The email to me clearly states ""attached to the Rodden home re: a border who was staying there. There was a murder in the 1800s"" .... and because I don't know where the Rodden home is/was, or what it was called, or it's location, I think they stories & information you have posted relates to some-one completely different.

But I thank you all the same - cheers Dale