Author Topic: Jasper Brim/Brin. 1758 - 1843. Where was he born, and where did he die?  (Read 410 times)

Offline TadlowNewell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jasper Brim/Brin. 1758 - 1843. Where was he born, and where did he die?
« on: Wednesday 17 June 20 16:00 BST (UK) »
I know for sure that Jasper Brim/Brin married Elizabeth Clarke on 17 May 1779 in East Hatley, though I have not seen the actual marriage register entry. Then between 1780 and 1798 they produced nine children. All were born in Tadlow, Cambs. Elizabeth was buried in Tadlow 14 April 1827.

What I would like to find out is when/where Jasper was born, and where/when he died.

There are about two dozen Ancestry Public Trees that include Jasper and his family, almost all pretty much identical, so I guess most have been copied from one 'original' source. One example is at
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/38273921/person/290001393900/facts

They claim:
a) That Jasper was born 1758 in "England". There is never any source referenced for this date, but I am guessing it is a calculation from an age recorded on the 1779 marriage certificate.

b) That Jasper died in "Norfolk County, Ontario, Canada". Again there is never any source referenced.   

My searches have found a GRO Entry for one Jasper Brimm (GRO Reference: 1843  J Quarter in CAXTON & ARRINGTON UNION  Volume 14. Age 86). It is in the 'right' Registration District, and the age at death of 86 is consistent with the 1758 date of birth. I suspect therefore that this is 'our' Jasper, and the Canada connection is completely false. The Jasper Brin/Brim who died in Canada is from a different family. If I can confirm this somehow, then I can tell all 24 Ancestry Public tree Owners that they are wrong.

One anomaly I have found is that if Jasper died in Caxton reg. District in 1843 one would expect to find him in the 1841 census, but I cannot find him. Maybe someone else has better luck. Another issue is that Jasper's youngest son, Jesse, is reputed, but the 24 Ancestry Public Trees, to have died 15 Jun 1852 in Binbrook, Ontario, Canada. I think this is plausible, but proving this is 'our' Jesse would require, in my book, stronger proof.

Any assistance in finding Jasper's details greatly appreciated.

Colin

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jasper Brim/Brin. 1758 - 1843. Where was he born, and where did he die?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 17:52 BST (UK) »
Have a look at the 1841 entry here - transcribed on Ancestry as Jesse Brim aged 80.  Not born in county but was living in the Caxton RD in 1841.  Don't forget that ages in 1841 were rounded down to the nearest 5yrs

HO107 Piece 68 Book 12 Folio 4 Page 3

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)