Author Topic: Frederick Dickens/Dickins family confusion  (Read 1957 times)

Offline louisemcm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Dickens/Dickins family confusion
« on: Wednesday 17 June 20 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hello
I'm trying to find the parents of Frederick Dickins/Dickens, born about 1836 in Quainton, Buckinghamshire, according to the 1851,1861 census.
I believe he married Ann Packman in July 1860 according to the records.
The 1851 census has his parents as Joseph and Elizabeth Dickins with him as the only child listed.
I found an 1841 census, which Ancestry lists at Dukins but Familysearch.org has as Dickins, which I believe is his family as he is the right age and the parents have the same names. The 1841 census lists a number of siblings living in Quainton.
I've not managed to find any baptism records for any of his siblings and only census records for his possible older brother George Dickins born around 1826.
The baptism records I've found all seem to have different parents listed and I'm wondering if I've mixed two different families up especially as Frederick's name appears as Friedrick, Fredrick and alternative spellings.
I think his father could be Joseph Dickins born about 1797 possibly in Cublington, Buckinghamshire married to an Elizabeth either born in 1797 or 1801
On familysearch.org I found a record for Joseph Dickins marrying Elizabeth Saunders on 16 Oct 1822 in Quainton but then I found another record for Elizabeth Saunders marrying someone else in Quainton on a later date which makes me confused as she'd have still been married to Joseph according to the children's dates of birth.
Other family trees have Joseph Dickins marrying Elizabeth Capel but I haven't found the evidence for this.
Is there a way of confirming the parents for Frederick Dickins without a baptism record?
Have I mixed up two different families as I don't understand why his siblings wouldn't be listed with him in the 1851 census.
I'd really appreciate any help or guidance.
Best wishes
Louise

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Dickens/Dickins family confusion
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 16:39 BST (UK) »
I believe he married Ann Packman in July 1860 according to the records.

You need to concentrate on what you know before trying to go further backwards.   Which of their children was your ancestor?  When and where was that child born?

Does his marriage cert confirm his father was Joseph?

1851 details for Bucks

Joseph Dickins    54 agric labourer (birthplace?? Christchurch)
Elizabeth 55  (birthplace?? Woodcott)
Frederick  14 b Quainton
Daniel Walker    64 visitor
HO107 Piece 1721 Folio 742 Page 7

1861 for Kent

Frederick Dickens 25 b Quainton
Ann Dickens    28 b St Paul's Cray Kent
RG9 Piece 464 Folio 145 Page 19

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline louisemcm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole
Louisa Dickens is my great-great-grandmother and she was born on 3 September 1875 in Orpington to Frederick Dickens and Ann Dickens nee Packman. (I ordered her birth certificate)
I've found the date of their wedding and have ordered their marriage certificate but haven't received it yet. I've been trying to do research whilst waiting for it to arrive but am lost trying to confirm the parentage of Frederick.
A family story I was told when young was that we are related to Charles Dickens somehow through Louisa Dickens' line of the family but I can't find out anything to verify if this was just a myth.
Thank you so much for looking up the record for me.
Best wishes
Louise

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 17:11 BST (UK) »
I've had no luck finding the family on the 1841 to check details.  Given that Joseph & Elizabeth were in their mid-50's in 1851 I would have expected to see older children in 1851 - but who knows??

Need that 1841 entry really
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 17:18 BST (UK) »
I think in 1841 the family is transcribed as Dukins??

Joseph 45
Elizabeth 40
George 16
Eliza 13
Esther 10
Harriet 9
Fredrick 5
Catherine 2
Living in Quainton
all b in county

the older children were possibly married or working away from home -havent checked yet
cant find Esther or Catherine in 1851 but there is a death reg in Aylesbury reg district Mar qtr 1842 for Catherine Dickens and another death reg Aylesbury Sept qtr 1848 for Harriet Dickens - this may/may not be Frederick's sisters
Will check further

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 17:31 BST (UK) »
DICKINS, CATHARINE       mmn SANDERS 
1838  Dec Quarter in AYLESBURY  Volume 06  Page 293
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 17:34 BST (UK) »
That 1841 entry is the clincher - well found Rosie ;D

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 18:25 BST (UK) »
Buckingham marriage records
16 Oct 1822
Joseph Dickens
Elizabeth Saunders
Anglican
Quainton
Page 32
after Banns
witnesses George Saunders & Esther Saunders

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline louisemcm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 20:03 BST (UK) »
DICKINS, CATHARINE       mmn SANDERS 
1838  Dec Quarter in AYLESBURY  Volume 06  Page 293

Thank you so much Suz and Rosie.
Does mmn in the entry above mean maiden name? I'm sorry, I'm very new to family history research so am not sure what some acronymns mean.

Does this mean that from the entry above, I can confirm that Joseph Dickins and Elizabeth SANDERS/SAUNDERS are the parents of the children, including Frederick,  in the 1841 census.

Should I worry that there seems to be another marriage record for Elizabeth SAUNDERS in Quainton a few years after the 1822 wedding? Is it possible there is a different Elizabeth SAUNDERS?

Do you have any ideas on how I can find the baptism records for Frederick or sometime do baptism records not exist?

Thank you so, so much for your help
Best wishes
Louise