Author Topic: BT email - anyone had to update settings?  (Read 886 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
BT email - anyone had to update settings?
« on: Wednesday 17 June 20 17:32 BST (UK) »
I've had BT email for many years, it originally used Yahoo then BT Yahoo. I've been receiving emails that said I would have to change my settings or I wouldn't be able to continue receiving emails. I didn't trust these so didn't follow the link provided but had a look separately. I didn't take any action because I was continuing to receive emails and am still doing so on my primary account but not on my secondary account. The info from BT provides 'simple' details as to how to make the necessary changes but I haven't a clue what it's on about (changing incoming and outgoing server details) and I can't find out by looking at the settings as it tells me to because the only settings within my email are for themes and other things related to the appearance of the page.

Does anyone have any experience of this before I have to resort to ringing BT?
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BT email - anyone had to update settings?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 18:00 BST (UK) »
I see they are busy advertising all singing all dancing auto connection between your pc, laptop, tablet, phablet and mobile phone for txting, email, phone calls, video calls and social media.  That's a major change of operation so I presume they need to dump their previous contractors.  Glad I left them yonks ago, good luck though, cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster. Proctor & Threlfall of Westmoreland and Lancs, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands. Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 18:09 BST (UK) »
I've jus logged in to my hardly used account and there were no messages about updating settings. Also, OH uses them occasionally and he's not said anything and I'm sure that he would.

I think it could be dodgy, Roobarb.  Take care.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 19:01 BST (UK) »
I'm with BT email - for yonks and haven't had to do anything yet. It's been a bit unreliable accessing it on the laptop logging in, but I also get them sent to my old iPad and that's been fine so far.
North East of England

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 19:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget, I've had a good trawl around BT's own website, I don't think it's dodgy and the emails on my secondary account are not updating, just as they said.  :(

From what I've read they're rolling it out so eventually I won't be able to get emails on my primary account. I've used a different app on my phone since I got the phone, on my tablet I'm still using the old app, downloaded the new one tried signing in on that for my primary account but it said I couldn't use it yet. That would fit in with what they said about the rollout.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 20:45 BST (UK) »
It sounds like a scam email to me, does it ask you to click a link it, if so hover over that link and my guess would be if you look at the address it wouldn't go to a BT website but somewhere else.
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 21:52 BST (UK) »
Yes it does but as I've said, I haven't clicked on it but looked separately at BT's website that gives details. There are also a number of emails on BT's forum asking if this is spam, there are plenty of replies to convince me it's not. And if it is spam, why then have I stopped receiving emails? I'm very careful and am pretty sure it's not spam, I was just looking for some help in finding the server settings.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 21:53 BST (UK) »
BT have taken their email service back from Yahoo, this is the help page link they sent in their advice email to me: www.bt.com/emailchanges

Michael.

Added, if you are uneasy at clicking links you can type the address instead.

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 22:09 BST (UK) »
BT server details