Author Topic: BT email - anyone had to update settings?  (Read 2416 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BT email - anyone had to update settings?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 20 June 20 16:08 BST (UK) »
We were migrated a few weeks ago. The email address was shared by OH and me, and used primarily for emails to and from a society we are both on committee of. OH had it set up to forward a copy of all messages to his personal non BT email address. It now seems impossible to set it up to autoforward any more - but I suppose that's progress.

Auto forwarding is still supported.

1) Open auto-forward settings (Settings* > Mail > Auto-forward)
2) Enable auto-forward and enter forwarding email address(es) in the destination box
3) Click Save

* The main Settings option is on the menu by your email address, top right.

Thank you very much. I would never have realised that unobtrusive little arrow meant settings. How clever of BT to use their own symbol and not the little cog wheel type thing that most other websites use.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 20 June 20 16:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clarification cuffie81. I use the BT website on my laptop so am relieved to hear I don't have to mess about with the POP3 etc.
I still haven't managed to sign in to the secondary email, have tried several passwords that I thought might be the right ones but unfortunately none of them were. There is a Forgotten your login details? option but I have to access that via the MY BT section which is accessed via the primary account. I'm cautious about doing anything with that in case it mucks up my primary email.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 20 June 20 17:18 BST (UK) »
Roobarb,

If you log in to My BT and go to Your Products > Email > Manage you'll see a list of your email accounts. Against each email address there should be a marker indicating whether it's Active, Suspended or some other status. There should also be options per email address. With a bit luck you'll have the option of resetting the password or re-activating it the account (if BT has suspended it).

I think this is the route I had to take recently to help my Mum re-activate one of her sub accounts. BT had suspended it for some unspecified 'security' reason.

The following links may be of some help.

BT Help: Need help logging in to your BT Email?
https://www.bt.com/help/email/fix-a-problem/log-in-issues/i-can-t-log-in-to-my-email/need-help-logging-in-to-your-bt-email-

BT Help: Why has my email address been suspended or deleted?
https://www.bt.com/help/email/why-has-my-bt-email-address-been-suspended-or-deleted-
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 June 20 18:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you again cuffie81. I got to the email addresses (a very convoluted route they send you on!) and it showed the one in question as being locked due to incorrect sign in attempts, or words to that effect. I was able to unlock it and was then given the option of changing my password but when I clicked on it it said it wasn't recognised! Aaarghh, I hate BT!!!

There was something about a 'favourite' account which I assume is the primary email but when I clicked on the help question of What is a favourite account? it just took me to the help page heading and when I entered that it the search box it didn't find anything! I've looked at the help pages you kindly supplied but haven't been able so far to find what I want.

I'm going to go and do something else now and hopefully calm down enough to look at it logically. Many thanks for your help.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 09 July 20 09:32 BST (UK) »
Has anyone had problems with distribution lists since the migration?

OH is a secretary of a local club and sends out newsletters to members from time to time. He has a group distribution list set up. BT has managed to delete a couple of members from the distribution list but not from his list of contacts fortunately, so he can restore them easily. Annoyingly anyone with AOL email address has their name replaced by "AOL", so if their actual email address does not contain their name, he cannot easily check it is going to the correct person.
But, more worryingly it has added one person to the distribution list whose email he did not recognise and is certainly not / never has been a club member. He googled this email address and found it belonged to a commercial organisation, which he may have had some kind of advertising email from in the past but certainly has never done business with. He always sends out the newsletters as blind copies for privacy and comply with GDPR, but is there a way someone can get around this and reveal all the recipient email addresses?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 09 July 20 15:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks, cuffie81 for reply #29.
Cowban