Author Topic: Help with finding out parents for ancestor  (Read 546 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finding out parents for ancestor
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 June 20 21:38 BST (UK) »
Your best bet for Leicestershire records is Find my Past, although Familysearch also has coverage and its always worth checking out FreeReg.

I would also encourage you to thoroughly research each person and those connected to them (siblings, spouses etc) before moving on to the previous generation as there are often clues that you would otherwise miss - for instance the witnesses to the various Pratt marriages was a key factor in confirming this was the correct family. 

Also where you say 'on Ancestry it says....' its not clear whether this is from another tree or a particular record.  The parish record doesn't give his age so where has 1710 come from?  Also being 'of Earl Shilton' at the time of marriage doesn't necessarily mean he was born there, just that he was living there when he married.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham. North Yorkshire.  JACKSON: East Yorks, North Yorks, Durham. TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Kate1980

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finding out parents for ancestor
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 June 20 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi jomot
Thanks for the advice I will start doing that. What I meant was I got a hint on ancestry and got the information from another tree. I did a search for him on find my past and found a baptism he was born 14th August 1709 ibstock Leicestershire. His parents where john pratt and katherine unknown maiden name.
I have also tried to find a marriage record for sarah coplins parents thomas coplin and isabel on family search and find my past but I couldn't find anything.
Thanks for all your help