Author Topic: THOMAS DAKIN married Jane Dagley 1750  (Read 720 times)

Offline margaretmarion

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
THOMAS DAKIN married Jane Dagley 1750
« on: Wednesday 17 June 20 22:06 BST (UK) »
 ;) ;) ;)
PLEASE
I am looking for the father of THOMAS DAKIN who married Jane Dagley, 16 June 1763, All Saints, Alrewas, Staffordshire.
I do not have Thomas' baptism or date of birth - there are so many Thomas Dakins in Staffordshire.
Many thanks - margaretmarion

:'( :'(
Henley/Hindley (Ldn/Lancs/St. Helena)), Cozens, Griffiths (Welsh border Counties) Horwood, Pardon, Allen, Dyson (Yks),  Barron (Yks), Saunders (Yks/Nfk), Stubbings (Nfk), Silverwood, Hardy, Dakin, Granger, Bonsor (Lnd/Wrks), Tedder, Thirkhill-ell (Yorkshire), Dakin, Barron, Renton (Island of St. Helena, Norfolk), Bonsor (Bethnal Green & Warcks), William Clough (soldier died 1796)., Wrentham (Suffolk)

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: THOMAS DAKIN married Jane Dagley 1750
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret!

Can I ask where you got the 1763 date from? I took a look on FindMyPast but couldn't find it in the parish records for Alrewas.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 22:42 BST (UK) »
4 Nov 1750 ??   

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 22:43 BST (UK) »
Yeah, that's the one that I came across Mckha, was wondering if it was the same couple as the date seems so far off.

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 22:46 BST (UK) »
Duplicate post here where OP says he was married 4 Nov 1750.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=832947.0;topicseen
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 22:50 BST (UK) »
The couple married 4/11/1750 Alrewas  (he listed as Thomas Deakin) - Jane was baptised in 1723 Alrewas but no Deakin's there at all so not his birthplace.

Alrewas was in the Lichfield district and a Thomas Deakin bp.5/3/1722 Lichfield, son of Thomas, who'd be of similar age to Jane.

At the end of the day, he was not a native of Alrewas and could literally have come from anywhere and we have no way of knowing where that was.

The example I've given above is the closest of similar age to Jane and in the general area but there is no way I, or indeed anyone else, can say that this was definitely him.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 23:49 BST (UK) »
Another avenue when stumped is to look for wills. They can be a mine of information.
Have you been down this route?
I see there are several for 'Dagley' in Alrewas in the 1700s. Possibly a bit earlier than your Jane, but quite possibly the same family. It's an uncommon name in a small place.
You never know, there might be some mention of a Dakin/Deakin family in them. We live in hope!
They do not seem to be on findmypast, where Lichfield wills are - these normally cover Staffordshire. But you can find them listed here:
https://www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk/default.aspx?Index=C&LastName=dagley&Part=0&YearFrom=1700&YearTo=1780&Place=&County=1&Gender=0&Occupation=
I always revert to this original site at Staffs RO, as there were other courts all over England besides the main Lichfield one that's on FindMyPast.
You can see these ones at Alrewas were proved in the 'Prebend of Alrewas' - they must have had their own court which could prove wills.
This index only goes up to 1780, which might be a bit early if you're looking for the death of Jane and Thomas's fathers.
All I can suggest if you want any more information, to get copies of the wills on the website, or to see if they can look for any other wills proved at Alrewas, is to email or ring Stafford Record Office.
I don't know if they are open yet or when they might open again.

You could have a search around on findmypast Lichfield wills, and the Staffordshire Record Office site above, to see if you can find any likely wills for your Dakin/Deakin family. This would be one of the avenues still open to you to see if you can find them.

Good luck!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline margaretmarion

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 June 20 15:18 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D
Thank you very much, Goldie, for the index link.

??? ??? ???  My Apologies:
Thomas D(e)akin married Jane Dagley 04 NOV 1750.   (I was given Dakin by a.n.other)
Jane Dagley was bapt. 15 June 1723, All Saints, Alrewas, Staffs (parent:  Edward Dagley & Mary Yates). - Parish Records.

Thank you, Annette for the date of a possible Thomas Deakin bp.5/3/1722 Lichfield, son of Thomas.
Another possibility to investigate!

Thank you all.   I am SO grateful for such a quick response.

margaretmarion     ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Henley/Hindley (Ldn/Lancs/St. Helena)), Cozens, Griffiths (Welsh border Counties) Horwood, Pardon, Allen, Dyson (Yks),  Barron (Yks), Saunders (Yks/Nfk), Stubbings (Nfk), Silverwood, Hardy, Dakin, Granger, Bonsor (Lnd/Wrks), Tedder, Thirkhill-ell (Yorkshire), Dakin, Barron, Renton (Island of St. Helena, Norfolk), Bonsor (Bethnal Green & Warcks), William Clough (soldier died 1796)., Wrentham (Suffolk)

Offline margaretmarion

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 July 20 16:33 BST (UK) »
I hang my head in SHAME!     ::) ::) ::)
Thomas Dakin married Jane Dagley, All Saints, Alrewas, Staffordshire, 4 NOVEMBER 1750!
SO sorry. 
margaretmarion