Author Topic: Antonio Rossini  (Read 2273 times)

Offline AnnieB70

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Antonio Rossini
« on: Wednesday 17 June 20 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I am a descendant of Philip Rossini b 1835 who was a hairdresser in Glasgow. He died in 1913. I am really keen to trace the origins of his father Antonio. I have a copy of their intention to marry (Antonio and Martha) but no actual certificate so I have no details of his parentage. Is there anyone who could help with this?
I'd be really grateful.
Annie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Antonio Rossini
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 June 20 09:40 BST (UK) »
There is a death certificate of Antoni (minus the final 'o') Rossini in Glasgow in 1865. If this is your Antonio, the death certificate should tell you the names of his parents.

Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in a few credits, and use some of them to dowload the certificate.

Martha Rossini or Blair, aged 76, died in Glasgow in 1876. You could use some more of your credits to download her death certificate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bevo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 June 20 09:43 BST (UK) »

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 June 20 10:10 BST (UK) »
And she is a widow in 1851, so the death in 1865 can't be 'your' Antonio.

As he died before 1855, there is no death certificate.

The 1841 census looks interesting (transcription at https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl)
Philip Rosena, 45, foreign
Matthew Rosena (female), 40, Scotland not Lanarkshire
Antonie Rosena, 19, Lanarkshire
Philip Rosena, 8, Lanarkshire
The transcriber's notes suggest that the original is hard to read, so you should definitely check it for yourself at Scotland's People.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 June 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
I note there is no age shown in the death index for Antoni Rossini on scotlandspeople. I wonder if it is Philip's brother who is aged 19 in the 1841 census? None of the other 4 Antonio deaths fit in with his d.o.b. (but are surely relatives :)) )?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 June 20 22:14 BST (UK) »
Annie, if you get an Italian link the Giornale de Barga website (click for English) might come in handy for Rossini. Many Glasgow Italians have a Barga origin.

https://italychronicles.com/barga-scottish-italian/

Skoosh.

I just phoned a Scotch/Italian from the East End, he's not from Barga but further south. Says Rossini could come from anywhere but hasn't come across it here & he's been in Glasgow for more than 50 years.

That was very early for folk coming from Italy to Glasgow.

Offline Ciaran07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 October 22 12:13 BST (UK) »
The scotch Italian who lives in the east end for over 50 years but hasn’t came across the name Rossini? I find that hard to believe if I do say so considering I am a Rossini and live in the east end of Glasgow as do quite a lot of the Rossini family who were born and bred in Glasgow east end. From what I’ve been led to believe off other family members who have done the ancestry stuff, the Rossini family who came to Scotland were from Sicily, hope that helps. I must add though that the family at one point was massive and I haven’t even met most of them myself

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 October 22 04:48 BST (UK) »
AnnieB70, Is there any possibility you may have the names wrong? I ask as looking at death of Antoni Rossini in 1865 is the following:

Death:
Antoni Rossini
married to Isabella Bishop
died: 18 Oct 1865
resided 94 Gallowgate
father: Philip Rossini
mother: Martha Abercromby
cause of death: typhus fever
informant: Philip Rossini

Then looking at 1841 census:
Glasgow
Philip Rosena  age 45 foreign born
Mstthew Rosena  age 40 native (could this be Martha??)
Antoni Rosena age 19 native (the above)
Philip Rosena  age 8 native
Mary Smith  age 5 nstive

Martha is not the commonest of names and I wonder could these be Philips parents? Maybe Philip & Martha either lost/ or had difficulties having children.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 October 22 04:54 BST (UK) »
Is this your people following on from prior text??

Marriage:
Martha Abercrombie
and
Filippo Raseni
married 13 September 1819
in Canongate