Author Topic: John James Perry - Perry Family. Lookup  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Netherlee1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John James Perry - Perry Family. Lookup
« on: Thursday 18 June 20 14:42 BST (UK) »
I wonder if you can help me or point me in the correct direction.

I am undertaking some family research.

My mother Heather June Perry was born on the Isle of Man in 1936. She was one of 7 children. I have a note of her mother and fathers names etc.

My grandfather John James Perry was born in c1895 and died on the Isle of Man in on 27 June 1960.

He married Susannah Woolnough on Isle of Man on 23 May 1920. He was resident at 6 Back Row, Ramsay at marriage. His father is listed as John Samuel Perry whose occupation was Fireman.

Susannah Perry (nee Woolnough) died on Isle of Man on 27 October 1886 when she was 87. I have traced her details back to England.

I am trying to trace John James Perry's birth and details for his father John Samuel Perry and his mother.

I have looked at the 1901 Census as a starting point. I attach a pdf. It looks like the most likely reference is for John Perry, Hannah Perry and family in Ramsay Piece 5307 Folio 139 Page 178.

What information does the census contain?

How can I obtain a copy of Page 178?

How can I obtain pages for Census records before 1901?

How can I obtain copies or consult census records after 1901?

I am based in Scotland so would prefer my research to be undertaken remotely.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John James Perry - Perry Family. Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 June 20 14:46 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Census transcriptions are available free on www.familysearch.org

If you want to see the actual census images you would need to buy a subscription to a site such as Ancestry or FindMyPast

I will see if I can find anything for you from the info you have given
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 June 20 14:59 BST (UK) »
The 1901 reference you give is transcribed on Ancestry as Revry and he was a gasworks labourer & has no son John

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X91V-66M

I cannot find a 1901 entry for John in the IoM

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 June 20 15:07 BST (UK) »
A tree on Ancestry has his birthdate as 3.2.1895 in Ramsay & his parents as John Andrew Perry & Hannah Crowe

Parental marriage was 16.1.1875 which means they were married 20yrs when John was born - not impossible but I am suspicious

The 1891 for John Andrew Perry shows him as a gas stoker but you say the 1920 marriage cert for John & Susannah shows his father as John Samuel occ fireman?

The 1901 I posted above has a son James but if this were John James he would be 6 not 7

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 June 20 15:52 BST (UK) »
1911 but he is still James - not John

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7VQ-3DV

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 June 20 16:26 BST (UK) »
Just found a baptism for him transcribed as John James Parry!!

Birth 3.2.1895  Ramsey
Parents  John Andrew Parry & Hannah Crowe Parry

BUT - that only confirms that the James shown on the 1901 & 1911 entries was actually born as John James.  It doesn't explain the difference in his fathers middle name and occupation shown on his marriage cert

Do you have a copy of that cert?

Offline Netherlee1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 June 20 17:00 BST (UK) »
Do you mean do I have the marriage certificate for John James Perry and Susannah Woolnough in  1920? Yes I do.  Married 23 May 1920 in Isle of Man. Father listed as John Samuel Pery. Fireman.Address 6 Back Lane (or Row) Ramsay.

I have an Ancestry subscription but the records for IOM are patchy and they don't have the actual images.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 August 20 16:51 BST (UK) »
a John Andrews Perry was bapt Ballaugh 18520822 son of Samuel Perry + Eliza Macdonald (they married Braddan 18510810 neither parent can be found in 1851 IoM census but in 1861 Samuel is a labourer at Ballacurn beg (a farm) in Ballaugh (in census John age 9 claims birth in Michael (the adjacent parish to south) but other children born Ballaugh - both parents claim birth in North of Ireland.
Interestingly in 1851 there is a 2 year old Sarah McDonald born Ballaugh lodging along with others at Conbury in Ballaugh - the head of household is Manx but wife Rebecca Irish as are most of the other lodgers  a hawker, tinker + shoemaker  (no other Macdonald tho)

John Andrew Perry is buried 20 Apr 1922 age 68 at Maughold (usual yard for those living in Ramsey)
Hannah buried 1 May 1906 age 50 also Maughold
A Samuel Perry buried 31 Jul 1910 age 89 at Ballaugh (giving an address Braddan); an Eliza Parry age 73 on 6 Apr 1917 at Maughold tho the Eliza Perry age 62 address Cronkould buried Ballaugh 27 Mar 1901 looks a better choice for Sam's wife + being just about 21 for her marriage

An Irish born Samuel Perry age 24 a manservant can be found at Bark (a farm in Michael) in 1841
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Alberto 64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean do I have the marriage certificate for John James Perry and Susannah Woolnough in  1920? Yes I do.  Married 23 May 1920 in Isle of Man. Father listed as John Samuel Pery. Fireman.Address 6 Back Lane (or Row) Ramsay.

I have an Ancestry subscription but the records for IOM are patchy and they don't have the actual images.