Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 18th June  (Read 690 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 18th June
« on: Thursday 18 June 20 22:33 BST (UK) »
An early one tonight, going to attempt to go to sleep a bit earlier tonight.

Last night after my bath I got into bed and was waiting until after midnight to see if I could get a slot with my favoured supermarket. Wasn't holding out much hope as I'd tried that before to no avail but bingo! I got a slot at a convenient time. I don't know if more people are shopping in store now or click and collect, maybe some people are getting more confident about shopping in person. It was easier putting the required amount in my trolley now that I've shopped with them a few times, they give a list of items I've bought before so I just chuck them in and will sort out nearer the time.

Was drifting off to sleep when some thoughts popped into my head and that was it, I was awake again for some time. I think it was about 2.30 when I slept, woke up pretty late and feeling groggy.

I'm not a great fan of routine in normal daily life although a couple of markers along the way are good for providing a bit of structure. Since lockdown everything has gradually gone to pot. I'm no morning person but if I sleep too late it throws me out of kilter for much of the day.

Watched a bit of This Morning, although they still interview people and do things like the fashion items it's not the same. The presenters do a good job of keeping it going.
Went for my walk before having lunch, I wasn't hungry anyway but had a bit of appetite when I got home. Yet another cloudy day, rain forecast later in the afternoon.

Felt a bit unsettled, did a bit of Rootschatting but couldn't decide what to do next. I'd been intending going to the nurseries this afternoon because rain was due and I thought it would mean that there wouldn't be many people there. Umming and aahing, I suddenly decided to go and off I went. As expected, not many there. I was looking to see if they had any evergreen clematis, a woman who was looking at some other plants kindly pointed me towards where she thought they were. She came along as I was looking at some and indicated where there were some others. Anyway, I bought one. Guess which fence it'll be going on?!! Also the lawn weed and feed that I wanted.

It was properly raining when I got home, put the plant out in the back garden, will plant it when the weather is better and hopefully NN is out of the way. Did a very small amount of my painting, couldn't settle to it today.

A friend phoned, long chat took up a lot of the rest of the afternoon. Made a chicken dish for tea, something that I've put together from my chosen bits of a recipe, in a casserole dish with chopped tomatoes, chick peas, red peppers and hot paprika. Served with jacket potato.

Watched the Sewing Bee, very sorry to see this contestant go. That's it, off for a bath now.

Hope all is well folks.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 18th June
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 June 20 23:52 BST (UK) »
It's always my intention to start early but I never seem to!

Sorry you had a restless night Roobarb it can get very frustrating but one good thing at least you got your shopping slot organised... unbelievable how something so simple can give such a good feel factor!
Good to hear you got out to the nursery too and hope you can plant your clematis whenNN is out!
Hope you have a better night tonight..

My day...

Got woken this morning by being brought a cuppa .... shock horror... OH had got up early to go to golf but as it was raining they all decided they didn't fancy getting soaked! ..... so I was the beneficiary of him getting up early... we talked for a while and decided it was time to have breakfast... had shower and hair wash first so it was quite late by the time I had my breakfast!

Needless to say my best intentions from yesterday of cleaning the house went right out the window... too late to start and weather wet and miserable... not that that's inside of course but just makes you feel unenthusiastic!
OH thought perhaps a game of scrabble would be better sadly he beat me so he's now two ahead again...☹️😢
Daughter sent us about 20 photos of what they and the boys have been up to since last w/end.. I suggested she made a photo book for all us grandparents as we've missed out seeing much or any of them... she thought it was a brilliant idea and is going to call it 'The Foord's Covid Diaries' something to look forward to for Christmas.... Hope we get to spend it with them this year..
Lunchtime now...
neighbour appeared with bits of shopping as I'm not going this week and three jigsaw for OH to choose from!
I decided I needed to just finish off scrubs trousers so went off to do that...
Dinner tonight was Salmon, new pots,broad beans, asparagus, mushrooms & peppers...
Watched some tv Das Boot.. not quite as good as first series and it's quite hard to follow a knitting pattern and subtitles at the same time!
That's about it for today... not terribly exciting!

Tomorrow to look forward to Zoom story time with the boys and a Zoom catch up with our best friends...

Hope everyone else has had a better day..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 June 20 08:01 BST (UK) »
It does seem to me as if Roobarb and Caroline both had satisfactory days but the rain made them feel less than positive about it, which is a pity, since both achieved stuff during the day. (Though I agree losing the Scrabble didn't help.  :-\ )

Slept until 07:30 which was good, but then a bit of a rush about when the cherry picker turned up outside my living room window at 08:00 again. Progress is really quick and it will all be finished quite quickly I am sure.

Other shower door seal removed, scrubbed and replaced, looking much better now. Such a small thing. I was afraid to take them off in case I couldn't get them back on. Shan't worry over it in the future.

Husband brushed around the balcony door frame, and just as well he did, as the painter was straight in with no cleaning or other  preparation, just painted and moved on.  I am really surprised that they feel it is ok to paint on top of muck or debris.  It really does not feel right, unless the paint has amazing properties.

Walked to town for bread and a new kettle... but the local independent electric shop didn't have the one I wanted.  Dilemma now, compromise on coveted design, (which I would accept as a birthday gift,) or buy from a multi-national..... ?  Also bought some elastic to goad me into making some face masks.

News flash on my mobile told me Dame Vera has passed on.  A woman our age walking in the opposite direction commented on hearing me reading it out, so we stopped for a brief chat, and she pointed out that it was nice for Dame Vera to have been alive for the VE day celebrations, which is true, so I shall do a Pollyanna glad game for that. 

When I was a Butlin's Redcoat in 1970 we used to finish up the ballroom dancing every Friday night singing "We'll meet again".... had to link arms and do a stepping thing while we sang to the guests.  I never hear it without thinking of that.

The friend I couldn't meet yesterday called up to ask if I would go for a stroll with her, despite showers of rain.  Very grey here today, with Westerly (off shore) breezes, and light showers, but not cold.  We inspected the ducklings and cygnets in the park, and then went over to the lakes where the heron flew up out of the reeds almost in touching distance, and a pair of swans were blocking the middle path with their brood of small cygnets.  Several swallows were circling for insects low down to the grass in the adjacent playing field on our return.

After lunch I phoned to chat with one of the Morris group who has been unwell, and then drove over to Cur*y's kettle shopping, but by then it had been raining hard for more than an hour, and there was such a long queue we just circled the car park and left again.

No queue at the supermarket when we arrived to do the weekly shop, we were able to get what we needed, and straight through for a till.

Caught up with The Sewing Bee, a pity to see Liz go, but sadly she did have a rather bad day. Nothing else worth watching really, so struggled with a few high level Sudoku.

Still raining.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 June 20 22:08 BST (UK) »
Caroline, how nice to be woken with a cuppa! Just don't let it divert you from the task of beating him at scrabble! Perhaps we should all post an obscure word a day for you to memorise and thrash him with at the next game.  :D

Mowsehowse, would your local electrical shop be able to order the kettle in for you? Fancy you being a Redcoat, lots of famous people progressed from that (as I'm sure you know). Perhaps you're one of them.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 June 20 23:12 BST (UK) »
No star quality Roobarb, just extrovert, which was good enough.  ;)

I will ask the electrical shop if they can order one for me. Good plan, thank you.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 June 20 23:32 BST (UK) »
Roobarb - thanks for the assistance regarding giving me obscure words.... sadly it has all turned to custard as you'll see in today's post!😭😭!

Mowsehowse- how amazing to be a Redcoat, where about were you?
Oh dear you didn't get much warning with the cherry picker then! Fancy trying to paint over an unprepared surface... you can't get the staff these days!
Your shower seal cleaning sounds very satisfying... I've just been persuaded by three friends to buy an all singing and dancing cleaning product called Koh... they all swear blind by it... does everything but make the tea and it's brilliant for getting red wine stains when thrown all over cream upholstery apparently.... we shall see.
You're very good about going out in all weathers.... I'm a sunshine girl... dull, rain, wet and drizzle don't suit me at all... too much time doesn't in warm countries I feel!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 June 20 08:44 BST (UK) »
Roobarb - thanks for the assistance regarding giving me obscure words.... sadly it has all turned to custard as you'll see in today's post!😭😭!
I have had to smile.. I never see ROOBARB but I think CUSTARD!!  ;)   (Sorry)

Mowsehowse- how amazing to be a Redcoat, where about were you?
CLACTON - 1970 I think.
Oh dear you didn't get much warning with the cherry picker then! Fancy trying to paint over an unprepared surface... you can't get the staff these days!  Yes, very worrying and they will be paid loads of money. Hoping it is magic paint!
Your shower seal cleaning sounds very satisfying... I've just been persuaded by three friends to buy an all singing and dancing cleaning product called Koh... they all swear blind by it... does everything but make the tea and it's brilliant for getting red wine stains when thrown all over cream upholstery apparently.... we shall see. Have seen the adverts for that stuff. Dying to know if it is as good as the claims. Shall buy some if you can endorse it.  :-\ 
You're very good about going out in all weathers.... I'm a sunshine girl... dull, rain, wet and drizzle don't suit me at all... too much time doesn't in warm countries I feel! I will go out in most weathers if I have a goal, but have to be bullied a bit when it is simply for exercise. H is a sly fellow who can usually find a way to persuade me it is worth it, despite I know perfectly well he speaks with forked tongue!! :D

Caroline/ Judy

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 June 20 09:22 BST (UK) »
Thursday was the day that pubs were allowed to open, on Isle of Man ;D
Restaurants and cafes, too.

Went out with a friend; had a restaurant meal (I had rib-eye steak); visited 9 different pubs.

We're no longer social distancing, and have gone 30 days without any positive Covid test results.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 June 20 09:24 BST (UK) »
Thursday was the day that pubs were allowed to open, on Isle of Man ;D
Restaurants and cafes, too.

Went out with a friend; had a restaurant meal (I had rib-eye steak); visited 9 different pubs.

We're no longer social distancing, and have gone 30 days without any positive Covid test results.

Long may it continue!