Author Topic: Where is this place?  (Read 553 times)

Offline erc19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is this place?
« on: Friday 19 June 20 14:07 BST (UK) »
I've been doing research into my Grover ancestors of Binsted, Hampshire, and I've only just noticed that one of them, Thomas Grover (who married Ann Barnett in Binsted in 1755) seemed to have been married before. He had a son, Thomas, bap. 9th Nov 1752 (and buried the following month) with his wife, Sarah. Sarah was buried on the same day her son was baptised.

Looking for a marriage for Thomas and Sarah, I found a possible match in the London Clandestine Marriages on the 29th April 1751, between Thos. Grover, Taylor, of Eworth, Hampshire, and Sarah Hall of St Brides, Widow.

There are a couple of places in Hampshire that are possible (such as Ibworth, Idsworth, or Emsworth), but I wonder if I'm overlooking a small hamlet or place over the border in Surrey that might be close-ish to Binsted. Any suggestions on where 'Eworth' might be?

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this place?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 June 20 14:19 BST (UK) »
Rather tangential, but have you seen the Thomas Grover tailor who in 1723 was the master in an apprentice indenture (apprentice was Warner Hayling)?  That Thomas Grover was based in Havant, which is not a million miles from Emsworth?

Offline erc19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 June 20 20:16 BST (UK) »
Rather tangential, but have you seen the Thomas Grover tailor who in 1723 was the master in an apprentice indenture (apprentice was Warner Hayling)?  That Thomas Grover was based in Havant, which is not a million miles from Emsworth?

I hadn't seen that, thanks for pointing that out! Looking up the name, I also see a Philip Grover and Co, tailor, in Havant. It's certainly something to investigate.

I'm not even sure if this marriage is the 'right' one for my Thomas Grover - it's the only one I've found that matches the Thomas and Sarah Grover of Binsted thus far, however, which is why I was hoping that 'Eworth' might be a place near Binsted. Or their marriage is yet to be found: I've written here about my futile attempts to try and find a marriage record for Thomas' son, also named Thomas, and a mystery woman named Deborah: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=832621.0 So maybe the marriage between this Thomas and Sarah belongs to a completely different couple!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 June 20 03:28 BST (UK) »
I would suggest that 'Eworth' is Emsworth and that it was meant to have been written as E'worth.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline erc19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 19:02 BST (UK) »
Agreed, upon reflection, I can't see it being anything other than Emsworth. Indeed, I wonder if this is 'my' Thomas Grover, as Emsworth is some way away from Binsted…That said, I found another apprenticeship record for the year 1747, naming Thomas, son of John Grover, being apprenticed to William Rapley of Clerkenwell, tailor. My Thomas Grover was baptised in 1728 in Binsted to John Grover.

Lots to mull over  :D

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 21:00 BST (UK) »
    There is a Binstead on the Isle of Wight.     It is at the north eastern side of the island, next to Ryde.      Emsworth is to the north east, on the mainland in Hampshire.     

Offline erc19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 09:00 BST (UK) »
Agreed, upon reflection, I can't see it being anything other than Emsworth. Indeed, I wonder if this is 'my' Thomas Grover, as Emsworth is some way away from Binsted…That said, I found another apprenticeship record for the year 1747, naming Thomas, son of John Grover, being apprenticed to William Rapley of Clerkenwell, tailor. My Thomas Grover was baptised in 1728 in Binsted to John Grover.

Lots to mull over  :D

Just realised that I needed far more coffee yesterday and that my Thomas Grover's father was William, not John! Back to the drawing board...