Author Topic: Nora and Eleanor Scanlon of Yonkers, New York  (Read 409 times)

Offline Mary G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Nora and Eleanor Scanlon of Yonkers, New York
« on: Friday 19 June 20 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have recently found out that my granduncle Jeremiah (Jerry) Scanlon, who immigrated to Yonkers in 1907, married Margaret Roche (from Mallow area) in 1911.

They had two daughters, Nonie b. 1914 and Eleanor b. 1915.
Jeremiah died in 1944 and Margaret in 1955.

However, I have no information on Nonie or Eleanor past the 1940 Census, in which they were living with their parents in Yonkers.

Any help in tracing what happened to them, if they married etc.....any help would be greatly appreciated.   If they have family, would love to connect with them.

Thank you.

Regards,

Mary (Scanlon)
Scanlon/Glavin/Murphy.
Lehane/Duggan/Leary

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nora and Eleanor Scanlon of Yonkers, New York
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 June 20 16:07 BST (UK) »
There is an obituary for Margaret at www.fultonhistory.com that lists her daughters as Mrs. Francis (Nona Elizabeth) McIver, with whom she lived at 110 Morris St., and Mrs. Michael (Eleanor Marie) Galvin of Yonkers. Also survived by 3 grandchildren.

Social Security death index has a Nona McIvor born 9 Oct 1914, died May 1980, last residence Shrub Oak, Westchester Co., NY.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 June 20 16:12 BST (UK) »
Eleanor Scanlon & Michael J. Galvin had a marriage license dated 3 Jul. 1940 from Manhattan (New York City.)  The marriage would have been some time after that.

There is a Social Security application for a Margaret Mary Galvin b. 18 Aug. 1941 in Yonkers to Michael J. Galvin & Eleanor M. Scanlon and died 15 Jul. 1994.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 June 20 16:24 BST (UK) »
On the NY state birth index, there is an Eleanor Scanlon born in Yonkers on 15 March 1918.  The Social Security death index has an Eleanor Galvin born 15 Mar 1918 and died Feb. 1974.  Her Social Security number was issued in NY.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 June 20 16:29 BST (UK) »
I found an obituary for Eleanor who died 9 Feb. 1974, and she is the right one.  She was survived by 3 daughters, one of which was the Margaret mentioned above, her sister, and 4 grandchildren.  You should be able to see the obituary at fultonhistory.com here:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pm5/

Offline Mary G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 June 20 16:32 BST (UK) »
There is an obituary for Margaret at www.fultonhistory.com that lists her daughters as Mrs. Francis (Nona Elizabeth) McIver, with whom she lived at 110 Morris St., and Mrs. Michael (Eleanor Marie) Galvin of Yonkers. Also survived by 3 grandchildren.

Social Security death index has a Nona McIvor born 9 Oct 1914, died May 1980, last residence Shrub Oak, Westchester Co., NY.

That is amazing.....3 grandchildren.....WOW.

My mistake earlier...Eleanor was born 15th March 1918
Scanlon/Glavin/Murphy.
Lehane/Duggan/Leary

Offline Mary G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 June 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
I found an obituary for Eleanor who died 9 Feb. 1974, and she is the right one.  She was survived by 3 daughters, one of which was the Margaret mentioned above, her sister, and 4 grandchildren.  You should be able to see the obituary at fultonhistory.com here:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pm5/

Blimey...that's amazing....I can't thank you enough.....really....THANK YOU SO MUCH.
Scanlon/Glavin/Murphy.
Lehane/Duggan/Leary

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 June 20 17:02 BST (UK) »
Nona's obit in 1980. She listed under Obituaries and Death Notices (far right column). Both have some different information.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pm6/

Offline Mary G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 June 20 17:12 BST (UK) »
Nona's obit in 1980. She listed under Obituaries and Death Notices (far right column). Both have some different information.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pm6/

Thank you so much...That gives the names of Eleanor's daughters and their children.  Amazing.
You have been so helpful.  Thank you.
Scanlon/Glavin/Murphy.
Lehane/Duggan/Leary