Author Topic: Sophia Anderson  (Read 2539 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Sophia Anderson
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 20 June 20 21:55 BST (UK) »
Sure  :) I can help and add the relevant snips here to your thread.

Do you know what children were born to George and wife Jane after their marriage in 1905 up to the 1911 census? Might help with trying to find them in 1911 with additional names.

I can see there was a Jane Rae Watson born in 1904 (before their marriage?). Also a Mary Rae Watson in Dundee in 1911 (do you know if this was before or after the 1911 census?).

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline miss s

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 20 June 20 22:00 BST (UK) »
Sure  :) I can help and add the relevant snips here to your thread.

Do you know what children were born to George and wife Jane after their marriage in 1905 up to the 1911 census? Might help with trying to find them in 1911 with additional names.

I can see there was a Jane Rae Watson born in 1904 (before their marriage?). Also a Mary Rae Watson in Dundee in 1911 (do you know if this was before or after the 1911 census?).

Monica

Yes, he married Jane Rae Watson in 1905 in Logie Pert, and they had a child called Mary Rae Watson (born 1911) , John Lawson( Watson, my husbands grandfather, (born 1924,  Jessie Watson, Jean Watson, Isabella Watson, George Watson and Elizabeth Watson.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 20 June 20 23:20 BST (UK) »
I have got the certs now. Thank you for sending  :)

So, in summary, we have the original signatures for Sophia Anderson and John Watson on their son George's 1877 birth cert. However, Sophia's marriage cert (from SP) is a copy from the original so it does not show her signature, simply states 'signed' (written by the clerk).

I thought to look at John Watson's marriage to Ann Andrew that we have been discussing. Drat! That also was a signed copy of the register so no original signature for John Watson showing there. I have also checked the birth cert for first born son to John Watson and Ann Andrew. The birth was registered by father John Watson and he has signed the birth register.

Below are the two signatures. On the left is the signature for George Watson's birth for father John Watson. On the right is the signature for William Andrew Watson's birth in 1897 for father John Watson.

Same signature/John Watson?

Offline miss s

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 20 June 20 23:24 BST (UK) »

Yes! Definitely the same signature

I have got the certs now. Thank you for sending  :)

So, in summary, we have the original signatures for Sophia Anderson and John Watson on their son George's 1877 birth cert. However, Sophia's marriage cert (from SP) is a copy from the original so it does not show her signature, simply states 'signed' (written by the clerk).

I thought look at John Watson's marriage to Ann Andrew that we have been discussing. Drat! That also was a signed copy of the register so no original signature for John Watson showing there. I have also checked the birth cert for first born son to John Watson and Ann Andrew. The birth was registered by father John Watson and he has signed the birth register.

Below are the two signatures. On the left is the signature for the birth of George Watson's birth for father John Watson. On the right is the signature for the birth of William Andrew Watson's birth in 1897 for father John Watson.

Same signature/John Watson?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 20 June 20 23:35 BST (UK) »
That is what I think too  ;) Looks to be George's Dad then....and Happy Father's Day to him tomorrow!

Below is a snip from his marriage cert that I viewed to include his parents:

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 20 June 20 23:36 BST (UK) »
Just realised...he likely called your George after his father George Watson?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 20 June 20 23:53 BST (UK) »

1861 is an odd one. Shows him as a 6yr old brother to a 34 yr old George Thompson  at Mains Of Tullo, Meldrum.

The joy of Ancestry transcripts  ::) FreeCen are showing John Watson as a boarder in the household...not brother! www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/590269a5e9379091b1d61864/john-watson-1861-aberdeenshire-old-meldrum-1855-?locale=en

I think you may need to get ready for fun and games with his ancestry and what happened to his parents....!

Monica