Author Topic: George DIX, born 1835 Sussex, UK,  (Read 757 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
George DIX, born 1835 Sussex, UK,
« on: Friday 19 June 20 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,

According to the passenger listing for the "Cornelius Erwin" George DIX, sometime DICKS, arrived in New York on 02/08/1856.   He was accompanied by his elder brother, 26 year old James DIX.   Their father, George, had died in December 1841 and his widow, Hannah, had re-married a James CRIPPS.   There were 3 other DIX children, Ann, Thomas and William........Ann's profession was described as an Upholsterer, the same as George!!   James was noted as a Plasterer.

I have searched for further information for George DIX (DICKS), but sadly nothing, and I wonder if someone could kindly help.

Thank you

BAC3

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George DIX, born 1835 Sussex, UK,
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 June 20 06:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

This looks like it might be him in the 1860 census in Jackson, Mississippi - seems to be a prison as in the far right somebody has noted crimes against each name! In his case, Larceny. Occupation is upholsterer.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M6GC-G1S

Later in 1860 there was an attempted prison escape in which one prison, a burglar by the name of George Dix, was shot and killed:
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84024323/1860-09-26/ed-1/seq-2/#date1=1789&sort=date&date2=1963&searchType=advanced&language=&sequence=0&index=0&words=Dix+George&proxdistance=5&state=Mississippi&rows=20&ortext=&proxtext=&phrasetext=George+Dix&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

The other information given is that he was sentenced in Vicksburg.

I don't know what records of Mississippi courts survive or if they'd give any more concrete information on this man's family.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 June 20 11:29 BST (UK) »
Good Morning jorose,

Excellent research.   Thank you.

I believe it is fairly conclusive that the "immigrant" George DIX (DICKS) is the same person portrayed in your references and I will finalise his biography on that basis.    It certainly appears that he continued his numerous criminal activities from England, which adds that little extra credence to your research.

Incidentally, the Mississippian carried an article entitled "Black Republican Bible" which I thought very apposite to 2020!!

BAC3

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 June 20 14:56 BST (UK) »
A little bit more info to help fill things out.

Vicksburg Daily Whig
Vicksburg, Mississippi
Tuesday, January 19, 1858 - Page 3

Source: https://dds.crl.edu/crldelivery/23323

===========================

Vicksburg Whig
Vicksburg, Mississippi
Wednesday, October 03, 1860 - Page 1

Source: https://dds.crl.edu/crldelivery/23459

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 June 20 16:34 BST (UK) »
RJ137,

Delighted with the "infill"........to being shot and killed jailbreaking at aged 25 in Mississippi from his humble beginnings stealing a spittoon at 9 years of age and being sentenced to 3 weeks hard labour in Brighton, is almost the stuff of fiction ::) ::)

For the moment

BAC3

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 August 23 10:02 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,

I would like to re-open this topic.

Would it be possible to discover whether or not the prison authorities would have taken a photograph of George DIX at the time?    It is an awfully long-shot but nothing ventured......!!!

Thank you,

BAC3