Author Topic: Waterloo Medal to Moses PARK  (Read 326 times)

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
  • John PARK and Louisa Jane PARK (nee STOREY) 1889
    • View Profile
Waterloo Medal to Moses PARK
« on: Sunday 21 June 20 02:29 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone might be able to expand on the information below pertaining to the issue of the Waterloo Medal to the following gentleman;

Moses Park
Regiment:   1st Battalion 71st Regiment of Light Infantry
Sub Unit:   Captain D. Campbell's Company

The information above is recorded on Ancestry however my limited subscription doesn't allow me to delve further. I am hoping there are other sources of information that may link Moses PARK to my Moses PARK of the Barony area of Glasgow, Scotland. It is an unusual name however there were about 5 Moses PARK in the family and further information may help ID one of them as being this man.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

MILLER family London (Bethnal Green, Mile End Old Town) & Auckland, NZ

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo Medal to Moses PARK
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 June 20 09:27 BST (UK) »
From Govan, attested for 2nd Battalion 71st Foot in Glasgow on 20 December 1814 aged 22. Transferred to 1st Battalion on 7 April 1815. The 2nd Battalion record is noted that he was substitute for Campbell Boyd, 1st Battalion. Served at Waterloo. Later in camp on Champs Elysees in Paris. Discharged at Chatham 2 January 1822. Character Good.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 June 20 10:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shaun. That is very helpful and narrows it down nicely.

If it is not too much trouble could I get you to have a look at John PARK - I initially discounted him but noted there may be a typo. The entry for John PARK was as followings

John Park
Regiment:   1st Battalion 91st Regiment of Light Infantry
Sub Unit:   Captain D. Campbell's Company

Looking closer it listed the same Captain D CAMPBELL as his company commander, which was the same as Moses PARK of the 71st Regt (not 91st). Just wandering if they could be brothers in the same Regt and a type re the 91st Regt for John PARK. If that is possible that would be greatly appreciated and thanks again for narrowing done Moses PARKS particulars.

STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 June 20 11:07 BST (UK) »
The 91st had Captain Dugald Campbell. The 71st had Captain Donald Campbell.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 June 20 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Wishful thinking on my behalf

PARK family Glasgow