Author Topic: Michael Kenny Chelseapensioner details  (Read 610 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Kenny Chelseapensioner details
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 June 20 03:34 BST (UK) »
Found it Shaunj - and though it doesn't give much detail, it looks like him - as though there were lots of Michael Kennys, I only ever found one in the 59th Foot regiment - and on this record the regiment is correct.  Never imagined  him going to New Zealand - now for more searching...
Brilliant - Thanks to you and to Rootschatters - Over the years, this site has been an amazing resource!!!  Couldn't have done without.
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 June 20 06:21 BST (UK) »
Must say my knowledge of NZ records is not good - searching for a death for Michael Kenny - and have found a vague possible for 1880 - have sent away to NZ BMD for printout - hoping for the best.  Should maybe be off to the New Zealand  forum and educate myself.
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 June 20 06:32 BST (UK) »
Inquest case files
If you post a separate query on the NZ board someone May be able to go and photograph that for you.

https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=23817802

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 June 20 06:34 BST (UK) »
If you enter search terms Chelsea Pensioner into Paperspast, it seems they were actively recruited to come here. 

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 June 20 08:36 BST (UK) »
There is no British Army pension record for a Michael Kenny of the 65th Regiment; the only army pensioner named Michael Kenny in Oamaru in the published records (which go up to circa 1878) is the one from the 59th regiment.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 June 20 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again Everyone,

I will need some time to sort out the wealth of information you have all given me.... amazingly helpful.  I am a bit confused, cos I thought I was "talking" to you on the New Zealand page - as KHP had moved my original post.... looks like my man will be the poor old 75 year old who died in 1890....   And I suppose the best way to confirm it would be to have someone photograph info in NZ archives for me... Also interesting that Chelsea pensioners were actively recruited.  I was wondering why my Michael would have chosen to go to NZ - sad if he then ended up alone.  Will have to sort out all of this to really wrap my brain around it.  Then when/if I sort it all - and this is where he truly ended up - another event will be if I ever find his daughter Mary Kenny - could be anywhere.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 June 20 10:20 BST (UK) »

I am a bit confused, cos I thought I was "talking" to you on the New Zealand page - as KHP had moved my original post....

I just copied this page link, to add to the NZ Board, not moved it.  :D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk