Author Topic: Michael Kenny Chelseapensioner details  (Read 611 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Michael Kenny Chelseapensioner details
« on: Sunday 21 June 20 09:38 BST (UK) »
Have had a "brickwall" in my tree for years, and have decided to have a renewed effort with it - with some success - well sort of.  I notice someone has recently advised to try National Archives link to "British army soldiers up to 1913"... I have just tried with my person in question and failed totally to find any record. (WO121 records).

I have however previously obtained records for said Michael Kenny, reg. number 3601, 59th Foot Regiment, and know a fair bit of his career.  And over the past couple of days a little more success with Anc....   Have found Application for Discharge record - 1873, with the following info.

"59th Reg Foot
3601 Kenny Michael.  Application224. Date  App 18th Dec 1873. Character Good 3m. Modified pension. Amount of service towards GC pay and pension 18yr 347days Amount of Service towards comp of limited engagement 19yrs 1 day. Documents with list to WO or Chelsea 22 Dec."

Info previously found told me that he was born in Tulla Co. Clare, attested in Limerick, and when discharged intended to live in Limerick.

My question is -  is there any way that I can actually find out exactly when and where he might ever have been paid his pension?  His later years and death info might help to answer what happened to his only child - and also could clarify if I have found the correct grandparents of said child in Co. Tyrone dying in 1885 and 1890.  Very long story, but hope I have given the relevant details.  I really just want to know where and when his pension was paid, but just seem to go around in circles with records.  Anyone with expertise on these old military records able to help?
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Kenny Chelseapensioner details
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 June 20 09:41 BST (UK) »
Sorry, should have said that I have put this question to Rootschatters years ago, and I don't wish anyone to spend a lot of precious time on doing stuff I already have... Just really want to know what is the most relevant source for actual Pension payments. (or modified pension - any difference?)  Cheers everyone
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline Ryohei56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 June 20 13:55 BST (UK) »
You might find that he passed through the Royal Kilmainham Hospital system, especially if he had Irish connections. That said, my g-g-g- grandfather is listed as an out pensioner, and his discharge documents carry the Kilmainham stamp (and he had no Irish connection). He was in the 14th Light Dragoons in 1808.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 June 20 14:22 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 June 20 03:22 BST (UK) »
Wow - thank you very much you two, for your comments.  Sorry - didn't get back to you straight away - family commitments - busy Saturday.

Shaunj - can you tell me what was the actual "category" of records you might have found Michael Kenny in on Find My past - haven't used the site in a long while - will hopefully be able to get into it.  It would be quite amazing if this is my Michael Kenny (there are quite a few of them around!) - Just in case I have trouble finding it - did it give any details - e.g. age, regiment, length of service - these would help to figure out if it is my Michael. 
Have also never used/found the Kilmainham records... not sure where they are - will google.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 June 20 03:33 BST (UK) »
Just had a basic look and the Michael Kennys listed under Armed Forces and Conflict, Regimental and Service records - appear to be either too early (1814) - or too late - closer to 1900..  Havent got a subscrip yet - might be looking in wrong spot?

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 June 20 04:24 BST (UK) »
There are pension records on FindMyPast which suggest he went from Limerick to New Zealand (Auckland, Otago, Damaru by 1875)

This is OAMARU

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 June 20 08:23 BST (UK) »
can you tell me what was the actual "category" of records you might have found Michael Kenny in on Find My past

These are records from "WO 22 - Royal Hospital Chelsea: Returns Of Payment Of Army And Other Pensions". FindMyPast includes them in  "Regimental and Service Records"

Michael Kenny, 59th Regiment, ad.30 December 1873.

This is OAMARU
Oops ! Thanks for the correction
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 June 20 02:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Shaunj - will have a check - hope to find them.  Will be amazed if it is him - and will be happy too!  Been "lost" for a long time.