Author Topic: Shipping: when did Cannon family leave Tasmania? Was their daughter christened?  (Read 1017 times)

Offline abstraction

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I need some help with shipping - the departure from Tasmania - Launceston most likely - for the following people after 5 July 1863 (married in Launceston) and before 20 May 1865 (daughter born in Dunedin.) I can't find anything.

George Cannon, b.c.1811 Great Berkhamstead, Hertfordshire, England. I believe he was running a barge in or near Launceston early 1860s. He may have travelled separately.
Catherine Cannon, nee Jordan, b. 1837 White Hills Tasmania.
married 5 Jul 1863. Launceston Tasmania.
Maud Marie Cannon, b.c.1861-1863 Tasmania no birth record found. She was illegitimate, but is there a christening record?

They were in Dunedin by 1865 - birth of Gertrude Lillie Cannon 20 May 1865, Dunedin.
I believe Catherine Cannon had at least one brother (Jordans - James, Robert, Thomas or Richard) in Dunedin with them at some point.

There's a lot riding on this. My grandmother has a story of him being wounded in the Maori wars, and she knew his wife and his daughter (her own mother and grandmother) and has been correct on almost everything. I need the shipping to eliminate or confirm him in the militia. But it's complicated. You don't have to read all this:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=732324.new;topicseen#new

Appreciate any help with the shipping or christening records.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Maud Marie Cannon, b.c.1861-1863 Tasmania no birth record found. She was illegitimate, but is there a christening record?

Will try to have a look this week.

What ship did George Cannon arrive on as a convict?

M

Offline abstraction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you, that's very kind. His year of birth shifts with every document he connects with, but his arrival date is firm.

He arrived on the Mangles, departed 24 April arrived 1 Aug 1835.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping: when did Cannon family leave Tasmania? Was their daughter christened?
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 00:42 BST (UK) »

Unfortunately no success (yet) finding this in the Church of England records. Do note that while Catherine Jordan was baptised in a Church of England ceremony, (as were her parents married - unusually for those times - after the children were born!), George Cannon and Catherine Jordan were married in a Baptist chapel.
https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD37-1-22p252j2k
http://monissa.com/ccphotos/former-baptist-chapel-launceston/

There are no Baptist records to cover the period, and Maud may not have been an infant when baptised, anyway.

M

Offline abstraction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping: when did Cannon family leave Tasmania? Was their daughter christened?
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 02:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for doing this and the helpful links!

Certainly in her later years the family leant towards evangelical churches - my grandmother recalls Catherine as being Plymouth Brethren in later years. Maud became a missionary to China and wrote a book to help combat the enslaving of girls in Yunnan. She describes how a child slave could be beaten to death on the street and no-one would interfere.
Catherine, George and Gertrude returned to Tasmania in 1890s where George passed away 1 Aug 1895 in the 'benevolent institution' in Launceston. Gertrude was a governess for JP Kenworthy in LaTrobe, I believe, until 1896 or thereabouts when she and her mother went to Melbourne. I'm not worried about that travel.

The key piece for me is the shipping to NZ to confirm whether a key piece fits: I believe George reverted to his birthname Charles to join the Waikato Militia (which lines up with the story of him being wounded in the Maori wars) - but to do that he had to travel to Sandhurst, Vic in 1863 (he had travelled there at least twice previously) between his wedding on 5 July 1863 and when the regiment with Charles Cannon departed Melbourne on the Caduceus on Sep 10th 1863. If so, is there a record of him travelling to Melbourne (as George or Charles)? And when did Catherine and Maud travel to NZ to join him?
If this Charles Cannon in the militia wasn't him, when did George travel to NZ? if George Cannon travelled separately to NZ, I can eliminate Charles Cannon.

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 06:19 BST (UK) »
The Outwards Shipping Lists at Public Record Office of Victoria have a ? complete list of the voluntary militia settlers on the Caduceus Sept 1863 to Auckland but I can't find any CANNON.
https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/passenger-records-and-immigration/outwards-passenger-lists

Also the Tas archives Name Index
https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/
 has George Cannon ship Mangles with permission to marry 1845 Mary Ann Dean.. perhaps she died?

and on Ancestry.com.au the New Zealand Birth Index has "Maria Cannon born NZ 1865" no further detail, so can't check who her parents were.

Sandridge is of course Bendigo so why did he visit several times.. what was his trade?

shume  australia

HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline abstraction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 07:00 BST (UK) »
I'm very humbled by people who reach out to help here.

Mary Ann Dean was his first wife, and they had four children. He did a little of everything, but he went to Sandhurst - my grandmother thought twice - during the gold rush. The last time he came back his wife had run off with a soldier.

I think the Maria Cannon was unlikely to be them because their daughter Gertrude was born in Dunedin on 20 May 1865. I have pretty good records of the births after that.

I have other military records that state he joined Sandhurst, commenced 3.9.63, arrived on the Caduceus 63, part of the 1st Waikato Regiment, and later the 3rd Waikato Regiment (accessed from Auckland libraries online Militia, Volunteers and Armed Constabulary of NZ 1863-1871). So one or other of these records is incorrect. Constant puzzle!

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 09:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, entirely possible that the passenger list from Victoria could be incorrect or wrongly transcribed..it does happen!
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 14:24 BST (UK) »
Page 3 of the Outward Shipping list posted by Shume has Geo Connor on the Caduceus, age 21, dep Sep 1863.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.