Author Topic: Colwell family in Dunlarg  (Read 767 times)

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Colwell family in Dunlarg
« on: Sunday 21 June 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a gentleman whose daughter, Mary Jane Caldwell, married my g. grandfather Frederick Hervey or Harvey in 1856 in Keady Armagh. He is named as George Caldwell, farmer, on their marriage certificate.
     Other records show a farmer called George Colwell living in Dunlarg, 1795-1870. I wonder if this could be the gentleman whose daughter was Mary Jane Caldwell. Is Dunlarg very near to Keady so that the couple could have met?
       Is there any way of finding out if his wife was called Sarah, as that name is mentioned on Mary Jane's death certificate, but with no surname.
 Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you, Islay

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Colwell family in Dunlarg
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 June 20 12:32 BST (UK) »
as far I can see marriage record show George as a labourer ?

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 June 20 13:04 BST (UK) »
I thought it said farmer on the marriage certificate, but I may be mistaken. Just can't seem to find a birth for Mary Jane Caldwell anywhere! Guessing she married about the age of 20 she would have been born around 1836, or just earlier. Father George Caldwell, and mother possibly Sarah Jane. Place of birth unknown but again guessing near keady Armagh because of limited travel distance in those days. Really struggling here, Mary Jane cannot just have appeared from nowhere to marry in 1856 in keady! I'd love to know where she came from and who her parents were.
      Maybe she is destined to be a mystery lady on my tree!
       Thank you for your time and interest. Best wishes, Islay

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 June 20 13:05 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 June 20 13:11 BST (UK) »
I agree that George Caldwell is shown as a labourer.

No sign of any Caldwell property in Granemore in Griffiths Valuation 1864. So either Mary Jane lodged there (perhaps working as a servant) or the family home was of too poor a value to be included in Griffiths or her father had moved between 1856 and 1864. (Labourers often moved around to follow the available work, and can be difficult to trace).

The George in Dunlarg looks to have been a cottier (small farmer). Family still there in 1901.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Crossmore/Dunlargue/1013528/

John Caldwell married Martha Fleming in 1878. Father George was described as a farmer, not a labourer. So a different family to Mary Jane’s , I think.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1876/11181/8096998.pdf

The Dunlarg Caldwells were Church of Ireland (as was Mary Jane going by her marriage certificate), so you could check the Keady baptism records to see if you can locate Mary Jane and her family. They start in 1780.  Copy in PRONI in Belfast. They are not on-line anywhere so far as I am aware, So personal visit to PRONI required to view them.
Elwyn

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 June 20 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Lots of leads for me to follow.
      Just a quick question, where do you see the information that George was a labourer from? And also Frederick Harvey - which he was, all his life. Thank you very much, Islay

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 June 20 13:42 BST (UK) »
Sorry, my mistake, I see exactly where you got the information from about George being a labourer. It was exciting to see the marriage certificate. Thank you for the links too, very helpful. I am most grateful. Islay

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 June 20 16:15 BST (UK) »
The Tithe Applotment Books show no George Caldwell (or surname spelling variants) in the wider area of County Armagh.