Author Topic: My Heritage - How do I link other family members uploaded DNA to my Tree?  (Read 257 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
I'd much appreciate some assistance on how I can link 3 family members uploaded DNA (which I manage) to my tree, or understand how to build each family member their own tree with their DNA attached to it.

For instance, I have started to build a tree for my husband, but can't find a way to link his DNA, which I manage.

I can see and explore their DNA matches, but they don't have an associated public tree, which would make it difficult for their matches to see where the link is.

I have uploaded their DNA to My Heritage from Ancestry.  I don't have a GEDCOM but happy to explore this if it would be more useful.

I've looked at the 'Help' forum at My Heritage and I can't see anything helpful.  What am I doing wrong  >:(

All help gratefully received.  Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Heritage - How do I link other family members uploaded DNA to my Tree?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 June 20 16:05 BST (UK) »
Well it is possible to do it as I have mine and my father's on there on my mini tree.

If you click on the DNA tab its opens to reveal a series of options. One of the options is Upload DNA kits and I "think" that is how I did it.

You could play around with that, or if less adventurous wait until someone who has done it more recently than me turns up and explains it fully.

Good luck.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 June 20 16:11 BST (UK) »
I did it last year in the way that David describes.

Downlaod the data folder from the host site.

Top Bar - click on DNA
Scroll down to Upload DNA Data
Click on Start  and upload  the DNA folder

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 June 20 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Davidft & Gadget, thanks for your replies. 

I did as you advised and the system wants me to go to the 'external storage space' and doesn't give an option to link the DNA samples already uploaded (which would have been more helpful to me).  If no-one else knows a way of linking the DNA samples already uploaded, I might delete them and use the process you have suggested.

Cheers, Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 June 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if this might fit the bill, but you can invite 'new family members to join and contribute' to your tree in Family Tree - Manage trees - edit tree settings

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 June 20 17:28 BST (UK) »
Oh, that's good to know.  thanks Gadget

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 June 20 17:54 BST (UK) »
Well it is possible to do it as I have mine and my father's on there on my mini tree.

If you click on the DNA tab its opens to reveal a series of options. One of the options is Upload DNA kits and I "think" that is how I did it.

You could play around with that, or if less adventurous wait until someone who has done it more recently than me turns up and explains it fully.

Good luck.

I have added 9 kit to My Heritage, myself, 1 of my cousins, my wife, 3 of her sisters, two of her cousins and 1 of our grandchildren.
As far I  remember it was the way Davidft mentions, simple adding their DNA and linking to my tree.

To link to a tree you have to "Manage their DNA kit" by this I mean you have to upload the kit on their behalf.
One of my wife's sisters uploaded her DNA herself and I don't manage her DNA and cannot link it to my tree.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 June 20 17:58 BST (UK) »
Kit has already uploaded the kits, Guy.

Gadget

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 June 20 18:03 BST (UK) »
He has already uploaded the kits, Guy. Do read the full thread.

Gadget

I did read the full thread but he had not managed to link the DNA samples with the Tree
But don't worry I will ignore giving further help for him as you have obviously given him all the help he needs.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.