Author Topic: Diary - Sunday 21st June  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Sunday 21st June
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 June 20 13:43 BST (UK) »
Gibel, what a GOOD job you decided to talk to us.

We ARE listening.
Hang in there, and I hope you can enjoy a little sunshine this afternoon. :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 June 20 13:57 BST (UK) »
Gibel- I agree with mowsehowse just keep coming on here and I’m sure we’ll find some ways to cheer you up and not feel so isolated.
It must be hard being in your own and listening to your own rhythms but join ours and feel the benefits!
Enjoy the sunshine and look forward to hearing from you again.

Caroline
😃
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 June 20 16:54 BST (UK) »
Gibel, I'll add my voice to those of mowsehowse and Caroline, I'm pleased you replied, it's as the others said - we have found the support of others very useful and hope you will too.
I agree that it's very daunting when you first go out and about and even when restrictions are eased you ask yourself whether you really want that. It does get easier to deal with as you go on.
The impact on your life must be very difficult, I'm only in the clinically vulnerable class so have had more freedom from the start but it's dreadfully lonely being alone and having been restricted to your own garden for so long must be even harder. I'm pleased to hear that you do have a visit from your friend, a friendly face always helps. I hope you soon get your treatment and things look up for you. Do keep us posted, we'd love to hear from you again.

Ruskie, it's good to hear about what's happening on the other side of the world, most of our lives are pretty unremarkable at the moment but the minutiae of others' lives is always more interesting. It's also good to read thoughts and observations from a different perspective. I wonder if such things as the extra cases in Victoria will be a lesson elsewhere.

Louisa Maud, good to hear that you're happy, some little things that we would never have previously thought of have the ability to change our mood in these strange times.

Caroline, I agree that we're creating a good support system, these topics are the first thing I read in the morning now, the kind words I've received have been wonderful and I've had a few laughs from some of the recent posts.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 June 20 18:40 BST (UK) »
I frequently have sleepless nights and I must admit over the years instead of being restless and disturbing the other half I would log on  to Rootschat, if I found an interesting subject to help out on I would find I had worn away 2 hours or so and would go back to bed, at times I really didn't know what I would have done without Rootschat, open 24 hours, 7 days a week, now we have the lockdown chat someone is there during that time and it is nice to read other messages, Rootschat never closes

I don't always remark on the diary but it is interesting to read what others get up to

Like most of us can't wait to be let out but I think we ought to do it day by day to avoid any rush of those who are more exuberant than me to rush to the shops

Take care, stay safe

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 June 20 18:51 BST (UK) »
Gibel, I feel for you, especially as you are waiting for treatment.

I'm not shielding but I'm not keen to go out as infection rates aren't great near me.  I've been for an occasional walk but not been in a shop for 3 months. Sometimes the most exciting thing I do all week is put the bins out. I manage to fill my days.

Rootschat keeps me sane (I think).  I don't often post on this board but enjoy reading about what other people have been getting up to.  There's plenty of support on Rootschat.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 June 20 19:31 BST (UK) »
Gibel,  I am very glad you have joined in the thread.  What a thought provoking post you have made and you are a good writer.  It certainly adds to that we are each facing this in a variety  of circumstances and that each of us have our own challenges.  I really do think your post will help others in similar circumstances.  I also think it does help to read that others feel the same as you and also have another perspective on how people have to face this all. 

I do feel for you and the many others like you in similar isolation.  I think this must be so difficult and require such mental strength to cope with it all.  Please remember though that you don't have to feel alone - people are here to listen on this thread.   Bearkat is right there is plenty of support on here.   I am very sad and moved about how upset you have been Gibel and hope that things will improve as time goes on.

I don't post all the time .. sometimes it is hard to keep up .. sometimes I feel so incredibly tired .. sometimes my life can feel too much like same old same old. 

One frustrating thing that happened recently was that a bus went by without picking me up.  The driver slowed a bit and pointed upwards.  I think there is meant to be a sign up if the number limit is onboard but this wasn't showing - only the destination was showing.  It was a single decker so I presume the number limit of 11 were aboard.  Thankfully, I wasn't headed to work at the time.  I think this was bound to happen sooner or later so perhaps I shouldn't have felt so surprised when it did. 

Caroline I do envy your skill at making delicious homemade bread.  I tried in the past but mine turned out a bit brick like.  :-X. Well, I had better sign off for now - I have to get a bus for nightshift soon and mustn't be late.  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 June 20 20:34 BST (UK) »
Many thanks everyone for your posts and your good wishes.

As I sort of expected shielding has been extended till the end of July. 6 weeks today I can do whatever I want it’ll be very strange. I should be in Switzerland then in my second week of holiday but I shan’t be because I cancelled it. I’ll miss my dose of mountains.

I haven’t been out at all today I was tired, fed upand in a lot of pain.

If I feel better tomorrow I might go out for a walk and I might do some family history. I have been chasing my maternal grandmother’s family for years. Her maiden name was Jones and she was born in Liverpool and very unhelpfully she got married just after the 1901 census. To cut a long story short her father was established and his father my g g grandfather. That took about 11 years to sort out.  Then after 7 years of marriage he went and confessed to the vicar ( it’s written in the parish register) that his real surname was Brierley and showed his baptism certificate in 1806 from Bunbury Cheshire. After tracking most of the Brierleys in Cheshire I think I’ve established his line, fortunately his father was Isaac which helped. I need to start writing it all up.

I do enjoy trying to help people on Rootschat. These last few days I’ve been helping someone on here whose family comes from places I remember as a child in Kent well some of it now a London Borough. My roots are all Lancastrian except for the Brierley mentioned above. I had no idea till I started researching. I now live 100 metres from the church where the first baby to be christened was my great grandfather in 1857.

Enough rambling, thank you for listening I’m making a coffee and retiring to bed with a jigsaw on the iPad or it might be a book.

My next challenge is working out how to get some money out of the bank to pay friend’s for my shopping. Am I allowed to go to a cash point or even should I ?

Tomorrow is another day as they say, 40 days to freedom and I’ve done 91 days already!

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 June 20 20:51 BST (UK) »
Gibel - reading your post and what you've had to endure over these past months I now feel awful for complaint of at times feeling stress, being miserable and anything inbetween... my life in comparison is good and I will think of you and others like you every time I have a bit of a wobble....
On the money from with your friend... if you're not sure about going to a cash machine could you not, if you've got online banking, pay it direct into her account?
Keep posting here and we will try to keep you company and give you the odd laugh here and there!
You seem to have made good inroads on your family history.... I've not looked at it at all over this time!

RTL - sadly I'm not the bread maker.... just the eater... my OH is the baker and he does a brilliant job and I've not bought any bread for weeks! Your stirling work is an inspiration to us all alone with PharmaT... Mazzie who is coping with children in schools...
Some are living on their own and have many obstacles to cope with...
It's all a diverse collection of people and interesting to hear everyone's experiences and help where we can.

Take care everyone

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 June 20 21:43 BST (UK) »
My day far from exciting but I'm used to living alone which doesn't bother me generally.   As one having to shield it's only when you are told that you can't go out that living alone seems to become an issue.   Some of my family have visited at times (when weather permitted) and we've sat socially distanced outside.   

Since the day of lockdown I have left my home twice.    First was around 3 weeks ago when it was suggested to me that as my car had gone nowhere either that I ought to give it a run.   At the time I desperately needed some cash so my first stop was at a supermarket on outskirts of town.   Parked right outside the ATM and there was no-one there.   Donned gloves and withdrew my money and came into contact with no-one.   Then drove onto a bypass for a few miles and came back into town from a different direction.    The second time was a week ago when I drove to my nephew's where he was waiting to open the back gate.    Sat in the garden, socially distanced, but it was so good to Simon, wife Amy and their 4 girls.   The girls were brilliant and understood socially distancing, even the youngest Ivy-Rose 5.   

After breakfast decided to take down my net curtains and clean the windows.   Living in a flat where kitchen and bathroom are in the middle of the property I only have 4 windows - 2 in lounge, 1 in bedbroom and the other in my study (cum junk room).  The sun came out while I was cleaning them and they sure did sparkle when I finished.   As to washing curtains, that can wait until tomorrow (manana, my favourite word since I retired).

Spent time on Rootschat helping where I could - when I sit down to relax it's usually a mixture of TV, Sudoku (subscribe to Grand Masters Sudoku and receive a copy each month, as I only like to do ones that are difficult) and jigsaws.   Read each day but only when I go to bed.   Consequently, I have a pile of jigsaws done, books read, all ready to take to the local hospice centre once they re-open and I'm allowed out of course.

Now, will I do the washing tomorrow - or not??

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk