Author Topic: Diary - Sunday 21st June  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Sunday 21st June
« on: Monday 22 June 20 00:27 BST (UK) »
Well it was the longest day today so we're halfway through the year... what can we say about it...
 this has probably been the most memorable year for the majority of the population since WWII ..... for those not born then this will be the time that's remembered...
it will be interesting to see what's written about the pandemic and remembered in say 50 years time....
 I won't be alive then nor probably will my children but hopefully my grandchildren will be... at 4 and 7 I wonder what or if they will remember this year...
no school except home schooling, being at home with Mum & Dad, not seeing their friends except via Zoom or when out social distancing... will this become the new norm... biking everywhere, not seeing us or their other grandparents as frequently as they used to, we've been lucky as they came to visit but they've not seen their other grandparents as their homes and gardens aren't suitable for social distancing..
Today as it was Fathers Day I've thought about it a great deal as we usually meet up at our daughters along with SiL's father and all go out for lunch... today was a Zoom ... not the same..
I feel quite bothered by all this and it's reflected my mood today which has been some what subdued.

Today's diary

Woke to a dull start but not cold and the sun soon shone  through....
Daughters card for F Day was very amusing...
Usual Sunday of reading the papers most of which to be honest these days I just skim read unless anything takes my interest but there isn't much that does...
Dreadful stabbings, usual covid articles to make one feel like topping oneself ..apparently we're now fatter than pigs according to a The Sunday Times..
What's up .... bike sales, jigsaws, games, flour, Netflix, yoga, online shopping etc etc... oh and Philip Green looking to buy yet another yacht for £25m whilst taking government money to furlough his staff...
Gave up reading in the end.. went upstairs to cut out some more face coverings...
Lunch then two games of scrabble, won one lost one... now three behind!
Up to do some sewing..
Had Zoom with daughter but our internet kept dropping out... total frustration... hope they can sort it soon!
Dinner, chicken, new pots & veg
Watched Antuques Roadshow and new programme set in NZ in 1800's called The Luminaries based on a book by Eleanor Catton which was shortlisted amd eon the 2013 Booker Prize... well all I can say, based on having watched the first episode the book must be completely different then because we thought the tv adaptation was a complete load of unbelievable rubbish... I will give it a second chance but I'm not holding out much hope!
On that note I came to bed to catch up...
Despite trying to keep cheerful for Father's Day felt completely miserable today....
Hope others had a better one!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Sunday 21st June
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 20 08:06 BST (UK) »
Oh Caroline, so sorry you had a miserable day yesterday, and hope you have a better day today. :-*

I would agree with you on every point you raised, especially the Luminaries which I have read.
Of course if you throw all the pages of a very long and convoluted novel in the air, and then make a TV series in the order you pick them off the floor, it may not work quite as well, in my opinion.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 June 20 09:39 BST (UK) »
Had quite a disturbed night, woke several times for some reason, so it was nearly 08:00 before I got up. A reasonably clear morning and the sea is quiet.
Tried to call my grandchildren  in Oz, but apparently they were busy watching Mary Poppins so did not want to talk to me, and cut me off!! 

Edited the photos from yesterday's meet up, and loaded them to the facebook page.

The Coast Guard helicopter flew over our roof and across Goodrington bay, low and slow, then along the coast line to Berry Head.  No idea if they were searching or doing an exercise.

Drove over to Teignmouth to walk, because H had decided we should.  Of course it was cold and windy, and we had to take shelter from a sudden squall.  Then got mobbed by seagulls when we tried to picnic.  Lots of people out trying to have fun, the crazy golf was jammed.

News reports of stabbings and shootings in UK this weekend absolutely shocking!

Copied the pattern for a shaped face covering from the internet to graph paper, and discussed with H at great length. Finally he opted for the rectangular pattern with an opening to insert one layer of kitchen roll. 

Evening walk along Goodrington beach very quiet.  Nothing much of interest happening.  The enormous cruise ships are still at anchor on the horizon, and we have read reports the the skeleton crew on board are stranded and unpaid.  Spent several minutes trying to get a decent photo of a pied wagtail, but the little chap was darting around catching insects, and was way too quick for me.

Made monthly renewal of medications prescription for the 4th time since official Covid crisis restrictions put in place by government.... at the start we still had daffodils around, now the hydrangeas and dahlias are in bloom.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 June 20 09:54 BST (UK) »
Caroline, very sorry to hear that your day wasn't a good one. I agree that the thought of such an uncertain future is depressing, reading about plans that are being put in place for businesses like pubs and restaurants actually just makes me feel worse - is this all we have to look forward to?

I woke up feeling very depressed, no idea why as I was quite upbeat yesterday. A warm and sunny day but there was a heavy rain shower around the time I was intending going for my walk. It soon cleared, I tied a light jacket round my waist when I went out in case it returned. Same walk as usual, nothing to report.

Was feeling agitated and couldn't settle to anything. Did a bit of sorting out in the garage then my friend phoned to say she was on her way with my shopping. Had a doorstep chat with her, felt a bit better. Did some gardening.

Message from another friend inviting me to have a socially distanced get together in her garden on Monday afternoon, something to look forward to.

Interesting to read of your exploits mowsehowse, getting out and about must be helping you. Pesky seagulls!

This diary seems to have dwindled to just a few of us lately, looking back to when Trystan first started it there were quite a few contributors. I wonder if people are just getting jaded with it.

Hope you're having a better day today Caroline.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 June 20 10:09 BST (UK) »
Mowsehowse, my brother lives in Teignmouth, it is a lovely area, he, quite by accident moved there from Stockport a few years ago, his wife managed to get a sideways move to Exeter hospital,  he had recently been made redundant and found a job in Tesco's in newton Abbott, so whereas he had said for years he would come to live nearer to me to look after each other he has gone further away but he is nearer his son,  he rang me yesterday and it enjoying his life in that area, his flat overlooks the prom at Teignmouth and can see out to sea from the lounge window in the complex, no need to go out on a blustery day,  I must try to get to see him this year, he can't put us up but if the guest room is free we might opt for that, not seen him for 2 years.

Our daughter came here yesterday, fathers day, she had made her father a lovely lemon drizzle cake amongst other things, although working from home she is getting plenty of baking time

22nd, today looks like being a really nice day, washing out and I am a happy bunny

I am hoping things will look up soon and we will have more freedom, I sometimes wake up feeling down but we are luckier than some people, we have to count our blessings whilst we can, us over 70's might be let out soon, yippee can't wait !!

Have a nice day folks

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 June 20 10:18 BST (UK) »
I generally read the entries roobarb.  :) I don’t contribute because I don’t do anything interesting and I am 9 hours ahead of the UK. It is currently Monday evening here.

Sunday I did nothing much - had a visit from daughter and her boyfriend. I made Bahn mi, which were quite authentic I think. Not too hungry because we had left over pizza for breakfast. Sent boyfriend up on the roof to clear the leaves out of the gutters due to rain forecast.

Got a few mils of rain in the evening which is always welcome.

Things almost back to normal here. A few restrictions remain with lower numbers allowed in restaurants etc. I’m not a million miles from Caroline’s son.  ;) Several more cases in Victoria apparently mostly due to large families meeting up and continuing to go to work despite being ill. Idiots. Planned reductions of restrictions in that State have now been postponed. I think people are doing whatever they want to. I try to avoid crowds at the best of times and haven’t been aware of attempts at social distancing for many weeks. People are either stupid or don’t care.

Took dog for her usual walk around the local streets which is always boring but generally eventful - she is getting a bit of a reputation for her zooming around in circles antics.

Watched a bit of rubbish TV in the evening.

Did nothing else of any interest whatsoever.  ;D

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 June 20 12:36 BST (UK) »
Ah, there you are Roobarb, a couple of writers responding to your call.  :D

Ruskie I usually don't post until the next day, about 8 to 10 hours later, so I doubt the time difference matters much.  Worried to see your comments about virus escalation in Victoria as my son and his family are there!

From behaviour observed in the UK it does seem that the less vulnerable age groups do not care, or are indeed stupid.

Louisa Maud I can imagine you were disappointed that your brother moved so far away, but there will be chances to visit I'm sure.  It is lovely there, but far too blustery yesterday for me to enjoy it much.  On a good day, without the need for distancing, it is marvellous to walk along the promenade towards Dawlish.  Goodness knows when I will feel comfortable about doing that again. 

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 June 20 13:28 BST (UK) »
Ruskie - I don't think it matters that you are ahead of us, it's nice to read how others are coping wherever in the world you are....
we only have the media, generally, to advise us of how the situations are elsewhere. It's bad enough sifting through media reports here to know what's correct or not!
Teingnmouth is a lovely area and I do look forward to being able to visit all these petty places... maybe not this year though ☹️. Hopefully Louisa Maud you'll get to see your brother in the near future if you can stay with him...

Roobarb - I get the feeling that those of us who are posting daily its creating a good support system and I personally enjoy my daily read...
Sorry that you had a poor day too ....
Hope you have a lovely meet with your friend and I'm sure it'll lift your spirits...
Mowsehowse- when we visited Salcombe a couple of years ago I couldn't believe the size of the seagulls and we watched two fighting over and ice cream cone filled with ice cream thta some poor soul had probably dropped for fear of being mobbed by these big birds...
When we were in NZ on one of our visits there we sat outside a little restaurant to have a drink and there was a notice on the table warning punters to be aware of seagulls taking food of your plates... in particular chips! We witnessed this and it scared a child to screaming point!

On thta cheery note I'm off to eat home baked bread! 😁😁
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 June 20 13:32 BST (UK) »
I’ve lurked for a while but didn’t join in because it seemed to be very much just something between a few people but I will answer the plea.

I’m one of the “shielded” and I live alone and have been stuck in the flat and our garden since 23rd March. Originally it was 12 weeks and then another 2 weeks were added and now well who knows!
My life now is very lonely, boring and quiet and I’m very envious of people who can now meet others, go shopping, go out in a car etc.

So back to Sunday well I had breakfast, decided I’d go for a walk ( this is now allowed for the shielded but it has taken me awhile to get used to going out, it was frightening to start with and I’m still not keen) I put on my mask and off I went unfortunately I hadn’t gone far when the heavens opened and back I came. I changed, looked at stuff on the iPad, did puzzles on the iPad thought about some family history I should do, had lunch, tidied up, and got ready for the highlight of my week a friend comes for an hour for a coffee we sit outside 3m apart. She brought me some home made scones. My oven died 3 weeks after my isolation began and hasn’t yet been sorted.

Sunday has become my treat night since isolation began, I have a M & S  meal, it was an Italian one. I only have them on a Sunday so that they last a while till a friend can replenish my stock. Had one of the scones my friend brought me. Washed up and later watched “allo allo”. Went to bed, coughed madly for a bit, couldn’t get to sleep worrying about the letter the shielded are getting this week, also my next hospital appointment with the oncologist  on Wednesday which is on the telephone and whether I will soon get the treatment that was postponed for 3 months at the end of March.  I’ve had 3 different Hospital appointments on the telephone and 2 of them were useless. Got very upset and eventually went to sleep.

So you see my days are very long, boring and lonely at the moment, until next Sunday I will see 2 people briefly, the gardener on Monday and my friend who brings my shopping on Thursday. I will speak to people on the telephone and that’s it.