Author Topic: Family connection  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Family connection
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 June 20 12:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your interest and replies. WW was born in St Kitts and that story is fairly deeply researched. I am interested in him in the census as a steward and cook and on the ship White Star. Some have the opinion that this was a naval ship but I have doubts because if it was everyone should have had their ratings marked on the form and where are the rest of the crew. There was a sister ship to the Titanic called White Star, and it sank off Ireland. Certainly would have had more crew than this small number. I look forward to any suggestions.

Titanic had two sister ships (Olympic and Britannic), and neither of them sank off Ireland.
Britannic sank in the Mediterranean in 1916 after striking a mine.
All three ships belonged to the White Star Line, but this is some 50 years after your period of interest.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 June 20 21:54 BST (UK) »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Star_Line#History

The first White Star Line company owned the ship White Star as per the newspaper ad.  The later company took over the name in 1868.

So not a sister ship but possibly a great-grand-aunt.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 June 20 15:21 BST (UK) »
There were at least three Merchant vessels with the name WHITE STAR around in 1861.
This seems the most likly one.
WHITE STAR Official Number 1141, Built St John New Brunswick in 1854,  2339 toms, owned in 1861 by Wilson and Co. Liverpool. (Partner in the first White Star Line) Port of Registry Liverpool. Wrecked 24/12/1883.
Her 1861 Logbooks and Crew Agreements, which will tell you if your man was on board and should
give you details to where he signed on and was discharged.
These documents are stored in The National Maritime Museum, Greenwich.  It seems they are closed at the moment due to Covid 19.
You should be able to obtain copies via this form whenever they reopen.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/national-maritime-museum/caird-library/crew-lists-agreements-official-logs-request-form

Be sure to ask for the Crew Agreement and Logbook covering the date 07/April 1861.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline LinnettW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 01:22 BST (UK) »
To everyone who replied to my query about The White Star ship and W W Julius. I have appreciated your help and advice and I hopefully soon be one step further along the journey that W. W made from St Kitts to Australia.