Author Topic: Gedmatch good etiquette  (Read 797 times)

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gedmatch good etiquette
« on: Monday 22 June 20 10:50 BST (UK) »
I have uploaded some DNA kits to gedmatch.
My Grandad has matches to two kits associated with the same email address, one at 281 and one at 174. After each other he is their highest match as well. My instinct is to email this person, the rest of his matches are under 40 apart from two matches that I am already in contact with.
But in the guidelines it talks about etiquette and particularly about reviewing matches in some detail before sending out emails. I’m not really sure how to do this and to what benefit it would be before emailing this person. It also mentions about low overlap which both of these kits have. I don’t really understand low overlap, is this match perhaps less close than it initially appears because of the low overlap?

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gedmatch good etiquette
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 20 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hello

I think matches of 281 and 174 cM are good and worth pursuing as you are looking at 2C or 3C, or similar, level.

You lost me on the low overlap, unless of course you mean person 281 does not have much overlap with person 174. If that is the case I would not worry about that at all, it could be you end up finding two distinct ancestors!

Do either of these matches have trees or any names of potential ancestors and if so are there surnames you recognise.

Have you used the one to many DNA comparison result and the one to one autosomal DNA comparison and if so did they throw up anything useful?

When you have done all the above it is worth contacting the matches in my opinion and asking if they would like to try and sort out the connection as it appears to be quite close. You could add a list of surnames to see if they mean anything to the matches, but be careful with what you reveal as if you say too much there may not be any real incentive to contact you back.

Good luck with your search
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 June 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Probably easier to show you a screen shot, the text above mentions the low overlap. They are the first two matches. The third and fourth matches are confirmed second cousin/second cousin once removed.

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 June 20 15:22 BST (UK) »
No I have not used the tools to compare the matches, I will look at that. Im not quite sure how useful it will be when I am in the dark and have nothing to start with at this point.
I have not seen a tree, as far as I am aware there are no trees uploaded on gedmatch? I do not find the site easy and may have missed them somehow. That is why I’m confused as to how using the tools can help.

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 June 20 15:23 BST (UK) »
Oh and I should say thanks for your help  ;D