Author Topic: Janet CALLUM or GRANT  (Read 657 times)

Offline Genetrix

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Janet CALLUM or GRANT
« on: Monday 22 June 20 16:12 BST (UK) »
I have a Robert Callum Smith, born 1795 in Forres.  Parents shown as Alexander Smith (1752-1837 - his father was John) and Janet Grant or Callum (c.1761-1831).

I'm trying to trace the mother's line. Scotland's People shows a Janet Grant baptised Oct. 1761 with Father Donald Grant.  There is also a Janet Callum shown as baptised Sept. 1760 with father Donald Callum.

Robert had 5 siblings - John, Alexander, James, Christian and Jessie (no Donald?). Mother used Grant on John, James and Christian's birth registration.  Used Callum for Alexander's and Grant or Callum for Jessie and Robert's.  I've verified this on Moray Libindex and Scotland's People.  Any ideas how to go further back as I'm hesitant to pursue Donald Grant or Donald Callum.  I haven't tried to track the siblings to see if they had any sons called Donald.  Any other ideas?

Help would be appreciated.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Janet CALLUM or GRANT
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 10:47 BST (UK) »
Looking at the possible records on SP for Janet, there are other options, other than Donald for the father. For instance there are three Janet Grant's father John, maybe her father was the same name as Alexanders?

Have you found the marriage record for Janet & Alexander, that might help?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Genetrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin:  No, I can't find a marriage for Alexander and Janet but that wouldn't show their parents anyway.  Usually just says "so and so contracted, etc.."

I have however, followed up on John Grant from Edinkillie as father of Janet.  SP shows a John Grant born in 1725 with parents All. Grant (Allan/Allistair?) and WAIT FOR IT - mother Janet Callum from Rafford (don't know how close that would be to Forres/Edinkillie where the later family lived).  If these are the right people, then Janet Callum would be Janet Grant/Callum's grandmother.  Looks promising but no way, of course, to prove its them.

Will pursue it further - at least it may be a step in the right direction.

Thanks for your help.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 15:40 BST (UK) »
"FORRES, a parish and royal burgh, post and market town, county Elgin, Scotland, 11 miles W. of Elgin.The parish is bounded by the river Findhorn and the parishes of Kinloss, Edenkillie, Rafford, and Dyke.

I have found on some marriage records the odd helpful addition, such as abode etc.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.