Author Topic: Genealogy frustrations.  (Read 8903 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogy frustrations.
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 13 September 20 14:14 BST (UK) »
Record offices where the microfilm has not been rewound, or is upside down, or the microfilm machine is virtually kanckered and it is the only one available as others are in use. I guess we all have come across these types of machines before. Hence why when waiting for a free decent machine you look through the printed transcripts on the shelves of the county parish registers.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 13 September 20 18:24 BST (UK) »
Mr Ashby 's lad was probably known as Nebby-never-late-for-a-date.

JM

Just as well he wasn't a young blood in the 19th century though ... by the time he'd finished writing his name on a young lady's dance card, he'd probably have missed the dance!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 19:00 BST (UK) »
Common names are a pain but actually the spelling can be much more straightforward than rarer surnames which can have many variants. Smurthwaite, Bracegirdle etc.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 09:53 BST (UK) »
I have found what is possibly the baptism record of one of the people i am researching.  It is just a lost of the names of the people baptised and their dates of baptism.  No parents, not even the father, no indication of where they lived in the parish nothing, no clues. Argh!
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 12 November 20 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Common names are a pain but actually the spelling can be much more straightforward than rarer surnames which can have many variants. Smurthwaite, Bracegirdle etc.
Totally agree. And with rarer surnames not only do you have to contend with the spellings in the records, but also transcriber interpretations on Ancestry and FindMyPast. While I understand that transcribers should write they see, it does not explain some of the interpretations!  ::)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 12 November 20 05:50 GMT (UK) »
My genealogy frustrations are in the main limited to modern records and the concept of “privacy” of public records. Records which by Act of Parliament are accessible to the public but due to office policy are not accessible because you needs to know the very details you are trying to discover to access the records.
I also get frustrated when trying to access records such as the 1921 census because MPs were lied to when deciding to instil a 100 year closure period and why on earth was the 1921 census included in such a closure when the public were given the option of a separate private enumeration?

I am just glad most of my research is in the 15th, 16th & 17th centuries.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 12 November 20 09:47 GMT (UK) »
One that's happened to me before but cropped up again this week: ordering a will in the hope that it will give you some good information and then finding it's just "I leave everything to wife. The End."

Four wills from the same branch of my family, all arrived at once, and all of them as dull as a dull thing.
Houghton - Lancashire, inc. Manchester
Robertson - Angus
Collinge - Yorkshire, Lancashire, USA
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 12 November 20 10:20 GMT (UK) »
SP's inability to acknowledge that there are a few of us who search regularly for occupations. We don't know the names to search for until we've found them ::)  I can't browse the 1911 census, or the parish records, using their pay-per-view system. I'm not asking for a full subscription, just the limited type (day/week/month) as used by Essex RO.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 12 November 20 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes, wills that are very short and sweet, and only mention wife and children and not nephews, nieces or cousins, or parents or aunts/uncles. Or people who seemed to have property and money yet you cannot find any trace of a will. Maybe they did come to some private arrangement or they left a will but it was never proved.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix