Author Topic: Genealogy frustrations.  (Read 8909 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogy frustrations.
« Reply #81 on: Thursday 12 November 20 16:25 GMT (UK) »
The point about being able to search via occupations is a good one. On two lines it's helped a lot to separate two families that were very hard to untangle otherwise ... and the number of Ancestry trees I've seen where the two are put together into one huge family!! In both cases, Two husbands had one name, two wives another, and lazy research has simply slapped them all together, and ended up following what I'm pretty sure is the wrong line for their research. In one case, the father was a shoemaker - and so had his father been before him, and two of his sons after him, and the other father a cabinet maker, as had his father, and three sons, so I'm really baffled that people could confuse them.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Friday 13 November 20 18:55 GMT (UK) »
At least FreeREG is searchable by marriage witness, as that can be handy. Durham records Online you can do a search by marriage witness. Sadly Ancestry you cannot search by marriage witness.

One coincidence is 2 Matthew Bradford's both same age, probably distant cousins, moved from Suffolk/Cambs to Essex, different parts, but both wed a woman called Susannah. One died 1841 and one died 1849. I am frustrated that some trees on Ancestry have them both mixed up.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Monday 16 November 20 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Why do both Ancestry and FindMyPast make it so hard to find a particular record set?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Monday 16 November 20 15:03 GMT (UK) »
... because they can....
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

guest189040

« Reply #85 on: Monday 16 November 20 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Monster headache is making sense of what Cheshire records are online, freebies are limited and Ancestry seems to have only partial records.

My problems is with births and marriages pre Registration.

Just trying to fathom out yet another DNA Conundrum and the trees that Ancestry is offering are well extremely questionable to say the least.  One family has about 18 kids, including 4 Mary’s, 3 John’s and 2 Thomas’s. 

The online records for the family are hit and miss, or it seems so at present.

Arrgh !!!

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 16 November 20 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Biggles50 - FindMyPast have Diocese of Chester Births, Marriages and Burials, and a list of the parishes covered.

Hopefully you can access this  :-\

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/cheshire-diocese-of-chester-parish-list
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

guest189040

« Reply #87 on: Monday 16 November 20 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Biggles50 - FindMyPast have Diocese of Chester Births, Marriages and Burials, and a list of the parishes covered.

Hopefully you can access this  :-\

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/cheshire-diocese-of-chester-parish-list
Many thanks, we have been thinking of rejoining FindMyPast for a while now.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Why do both Ancestry and FindMyPast make it so hard to find a particular record set?

They don't the problem is the more records they have and the more oprions available the more difficult to find the particular record set.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Sunday 22 November 20 10:45 GMT (UK) »

I very rarely use the "search everything, everywhere" that they push at you on their front pages, preferring to work on single record sets. So "Card Catalogue" on Ancestry is hit regularly, with various regular destinations pinned under "Quick Links". FindMyPast's A-Z was my normal shortcut; its replacement "All Record Sets" works in the same way.

Occasionally things do improve. FindMyPast added "Cheshire" to their "Diocese of Chester" record set names.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.