Author Topic: Diary - Monday 22nd June  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary - Monday 22nd June
« on: Monday 22 June 20 22:07 BST (UK) »
Thought I'd start off today although the day not yet over!

After breakfast dabbled in Rootschat for a while - was amazed to receive a PM from someone I'd helped years ago - 2013 to be precise.    No progress had been made from what I had submitted then and it's really not that difficult.   Will probably reply to that later.

I had ordered some plants from a local nursery (5 geraniums) and they were delivered today by a very happy chappy of Hermes - advised delivery would be between 12 and 4 and they arrrived at 1pm.   My cousin Ann and her husband live in Dorset and I was supposed to have visited them in April - they both had birthdays in March and I would have given them presents when I visited.   However, we all know what happened next!    They love doing jigsaws and my cousin in particular likes the ones produced by Falcon.   That gave me an idea so I looked for Falcon jigsaws and found a pack of 2 on Amazon - I duly ordered on 19th June and had a phone call this afternoon to say they were delivered this morning.  She was delighted.

After this mornings Rootschat session I did the washing - net curtains, my bedding and a large bath towel.   Put up my rotary line, pegged it all out, and it was dry in no time.   Only problem now is I'll have to iron it.    Probably tomorrow, or the day after.......... manana, manana!

Has been a glorious day and forecast shows we've 4 more to come.   Yippee!

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Monday 22nd June
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 20 22:31 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you Annette.  :)  It's amazing what we can order for delivery these days, I hope your geraniums thrive. Before I managed to go and buy some new ones I 'recycled' some from last year. They're supposedly not hardy but mine had survived the winter in pots, my garden is south facing and sheltered. I had cut them right back and when I put them in a bigger pot with extra compost they soon flourished, I was pleasantly surprised. Great idea for the jigsaws too.

My diary:

Woke reasonably early. Mowsehowse, your late is my early! Did a bit of reading and caught up with Rootschat, added my Sunday diary.

Watched a bit of This Morning, they were discussing the possible changes to social distancing and how over 70s could wear a badge to indicate their age and ask people to maintain a greater distance.  I don't fit into that category and I certainly wouldn't want to wear a badge if I did. The general opinion was that those people who don't show enough respect to distance anyway wouldn't start to do so because of a badge.

Out for walk, sunny spells, a fresh breeze. I sound like a Met Office presenter! Usual walk across field, annoyed to see litter in the woods, plastic bottles and cans.

Had lunch, couldn't decide what to wear to sit in my friend's garden - jeans or cropped trousers, sleeve length for top. Opted for cropped and short sleeves but took a light casual jacket. First run out on main road since March, traffic quite busy. When I arrived my friend asked if I'd brought a coat, said it was freezing in the garden. She's feeling the cold more at the moment. Went around the side of the house into the garden, it wasn't freezing but I did put my jacket on. The sun had gone behind a big cloud and it was definitely cool. Nevertheless, it was lovely to have a chat in person. Wiped my car door handle before getting back in, the car was in her drive but it's on a main road and someone could have tried the handle. Am I being paranoid? Maybe but I'm okay with that.

Not long after I got home the sun came out, wouldn't you know it. Caught up with Rootschat again then had tea. A friend phoned after, she lives in the Midlands and said it had been wall to wall blue skies. The forecast here is lots of sunshine midweek, hope it doesn't change.

Hope everyone had a decent day, look forward to hearing from regulars and other Rootschatters who have recently joined in. It's good to hear about everyone's day, it's surprising how different they all are even though our lives are currently the same in a lot of ways.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 June 20 23:37 BST (UK) »
It's great to have others putting their daily thoughts and what their up to on here.... well done Roobarb for suggesting it!
What a great idea Annette to order some jigsaws... think they're a bit like gold dust these days. I was going to order one for my grandsons 7th birthday next Wednesday only to now find they're out of stock and only place I could find it was a site I didn't know and it wouldn't arrive until two weeks after the event and was coming from NZ!
We're a family of jigsawers giving hours of enjoyment!
My OH bought some bright pink geraniums about 4 years ago five plants for .99p he put them in a big pot out the front of the house and they've been in there ever since, not lifted them or anything and they've come up every year and look a real treat... I think he's got good value from them!

Good to hear you had a nice visit to your friends Roobarb, even if not too sunny.... been blue skies all day today! Hope yours will be too over next few days.

My day...

I woke quite early too and like you my early is Mowsehowse's late!
Breakfast in the sunshine then bit of housework whilst O.H set to with his bread making... usual two loaves this time he used a loaf tin for one for a change...
Sat at the computer to amend my c&c shopping on Wednesday making sure I'd added all I need and unticked replacement box on all items.
Quick FT with daughter so she could measure the boys up for face coverings I'm going to make for them....
Thought I'd better make birthday card for eldest as it's next Wednesday... usually I'm full of inspiration and make cards that 'do something' pull out tabs, led lights on their Xmas cards etc... felt the pressure after making little Ines card last year two owls in a tree when he said to me ' what does it do grandma.... 😱😱uhhh nothing! Should have put one owl on a pull up tab in the tree.....
Well this card doesn't do anything.... he's going to be 7 so something bit more grown up! He's into skateboarding ( well his dad likes to still do it although in his mid 40's) got all the gear and daughter sent some pics so printed them off created skateboard park as background put pictures of him made big '7' and made a skateboard, hot glued 4 glitzy large beads for wheels and stuck on the front of the card.... had to put bubble wrap over it and need to find something suitable to post it in so doesn't get squashed... quite pleased with it... hope he likes it!
Lunchtime by now.... late one as usual on bread making day... but delicious with cheese, pickle and apple.. sat outside to eat it.... too hot to be out for too long...
Spent the rest of the afternoon making face coverings... cut out 40 from pack I was given so made from xsmall kids - XL adults....
They've got some fabric for scrubs tops specially printed with rainbow emblem looks amazing can't wait to get some to make...
Late dinner had BBQ sat outside for while.
Watched some tv...
Better day today... felt quite productive ....
Be interesting to see if distancing will be altered tomorrow so more pubs etc can open....not that we'll be going out to any!
What about schools though the children need to go back... eldest now missed virtually a whole term and while daughter and husband doing great job they need proper teachers!
Disappointed to hear his teacher hasn't contacted them once in this whole time to see how he's getting on... checks his work online and makes comments but need actual contact at least once in all this time!

Well let's see what happens tomorrow...
Great to read others diaries as always...

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 06:38 BST (UK) »
Monday (my yesterday - as I write this it is Tuesday afternoon here) ...

A fairly quiet day, mostly spent dog sitting my daughter’s dog. Dog can’t be left alone all day as she is very destructive. She has a preference for hard plastics and has destroyed many things such as various remote controls, game controllers x 2, plugs for Dyson air purifiers x 2, toilet brushes x 2, power boards, google home, plastic lids from containers, several pairs of flip flops, several shoes, Gerni (high pressure cleaner), prescription glasses x 2 pairs, ray ban sunglasses, buckets x 2 ..... etc.  ::) Lucky she is cute.

I fill in my time there by tidying up and washing. Not much fun but fills in the day doing something constructive.

Took my own dog for a walk when I got home. Watched some rubbish on TV and that’s about it.  :)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 08:17 BST (UK) »
Gosh Ruskie, that dog would have to be super-cute to avoid my wrath!!

Glad you were so productive Annette.  Did I read that correct?  Someone has done nothing on their own line in 7 years, and now wants you to pick it up for them again?  Maybe I shall give you my distant ancestry to sort out for me, but I would be glad if you didn't take 7 years over it!! :P

As to you "late" risers, I have never been a good sleeper. As soon as I stir my brain goes into overdrive and sleep is out of the window.  When the boys were younger I used to go for an 8 mile bike ride most mornings before their father got up for his early shifts.

It IS funny that we DO write like Met Office presenters quite often.  :)

Caroline, prepped for 40 face coverings....you are amazing!!

Another disturbed night, woke several times for some reason.  Got up about 07:30. A sunny clear morning with strong offshore winds though the sea remains fairly quiet.

Walk to town to post a card for grandaughter about to be 8 in Oz.  The queue at the main post office was so long I would have been there till Wednesday, so we walked around in a large circle to a sub post office where there was no queue.

Interesting news article about the discovery of post shafts near Stonehenge. A circle 1.2 miles across and thought to be 4,500 years old. Wow, the implications of the size of the shafts.... how the heck?

Had an interesting on-line chat with a cousin in NZ.  After zero covid cases there for 2 weeks, various travellers were allowed home, and have brought it back with them!  NZ numbers are fabulously low in comparison to UK figures, but the people do right to make their voices heard where they perceive mis-management.  It keeps their government culpable.

Set off to drive most of the journey I covered on Saturday for a meet up, but was bullied severely en route, and then found my road closed.  Went round the roundabout, and back to where I could turn to try again, and then realised that the diversion was immense and would cause such a delay I would be horribly late, which "put the tin lid on it", so I went round the roundabout again and returned to Paignton. I hate driving and didn't really want to go in the first place.  Evidently the 5 who made it did have a lovely time, which is good.

Took a longer evening walk around the outskirts of town in order to post a birthday card I made for one of the group.  But really tame by Caroline's standards, although years ago I would make a pop up xmas card for every child in the boy's classes, but those days are gone.
Sat through the 2nd part of "Luminaries" .... how many in the series.... I doubt my stamina is that good!

Have a good day all. :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 08:36 BST (UK) »
My goodness Ruskie you and your daughter must have the patience of saints to cope with that dog however cute it is!

Mowsehowse- I too read about the new circle they've found round Stonehenge, quite fantastic that people from 4,500 years ago could manage to dig something that deep and wide.... whatever tools could they have used I wonder.... were there animals of some sort they used to transport stones... so many questions...it's such an atmospheric place and I remember visiting it as a youngster when you could walk around and inbetween the stones not like today where you're a million miles away from it! Everytime we visit friends down that way we drive past and I'm still in awe of it...
Sorry you had such a thwarted journey, so frustrating Road works that take you mikes away from where you want to be...
Have a lovely day looking at your beautiful sea scape... are you not enthused to paint ....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 10:37 BST (UK) »
Yes, that HENGE is astonishing.  I saw a diagram showing the largest of the stones arches inside a shaft, possibly 2/3 within the hole's depth, and masses of space all around it.  I believe Living Archaeologists think that for digging purposes usually flint or antler horns was used. My mind boggles, I doubt I could manage it using a mechanical excavator, but more to the point, whatever did they put inside those massive holes?  I'm doubting the giant redwood is big enough, and they don't even grow here. How about..... massive trunks were felled and used first for moving the Stonehenge rocks, and then to fill the purpose created shafts.   

Link to article if anyone wants to see:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jun/22/vast-neolithic-circle-of-deep-shafts-found-near-stonehenge?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I too can remember visiting Stonehenge in the days when public were allowed up close, which you do need to be, in order to comprehend the scale of it.  Seeing it from afar is not the same at all.  I did note that Obama was allowed quite close, during his Presidential visit, but then again, he IS special.

I definitely do wish I could paint, but I would need to attend classes to learn techniques for confidence, otherwise it would just be a waste of materials I fear, and I would never do justice to the gorgeous view.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 10:56 BST (UK) »
Decided not to take my pain killers last night, horrible side effects,  couldn't sleep so up again at 12.30, checked into Sainsburys to see if I could get a shopping slot,  jeronimo,  got a slot for Friday, only second one I have managed to get during lockdown, so not sleeping did me a favour, to be honest I can see a lot of shoppers will continue shopping online after the present situation calms down, delivery £1.50, hardly worth getting the car out but I prefer actual shopping with my neighbour,  not had a chat to her for weeks so will be good to catch up when allowed, but we will just have to wait till we are allowed to have passengers

Lack of sleep has made me feel downright lazy but I must get my front  large net curtain and window cleaned today, that should wake me up

Enjoy your day folks

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 11:03 BST (UK) »
Devil or deep blue sea job Louisa Maud. 
How horrible for you.  :-*
But at least you got a delivery slot, thank goodness.

I have given up curtains, much easier than trying to get them washed and dried in such a small space!

Hope you have a reasonable day.