Author Topic: Parish records George brocklehurst - Cheshire  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Willow11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish records George brocklehurst - Cheshire
« on: Tuesday 23 June 20 00:46 BST (UK) »
I don't know where to go next.  I have managed to trace back my ancestors to 1761.  However l cannot trace any further back as l cannot locate any records.  I know George brocklehurst was born 1761 and married Anne but there us no surname for Anne and there is no birth record for George.  Is there anywhere l can turn to or is this as far back as l will be able to go.  I'm new to all this so any advice would be welcome.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish records George brocklehurst
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Willow11, and welcome to RootsChat.

There are lots of people here who'd be willing to help, but you're going to have to give us some more information. For example:
  • How do you know George Brocklehurst was born in 1761 - and can you tell us where?
  • How do you know he was married to Anne?
  • Can you tell us the names and dates and places of birth of their children?
  • Do you have any census information for George, Anne or any of the children?
  • Do you have any death or burial details for George or Anne?
All this helps to build up a picture of the family and helps enormously in tailoring our advice to whichever part of the country they were in.

Hopefully with that extra information someone will be along soon to help - it might not be me as there are a few other things calling for my attention.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 18:52 BST (UK) »
Are you absolutely certain the wife was Anne? There is a George Brocklehurst who married a Hannah (Anna?) in Derbyshire in 1780 (he'd only have been 19, if you are certain of his birth date, but still), with three baptisms in 1792, 1794, and 1800 recorded at Charlesworth, Derbyshire to a George and Hannah (a long time between the marriage and first child baptised....). Could these be yours? Only looked at what's on FreeReg.
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Offline Willow11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 21:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your feedback.

As you all know I'm looking for help in knowing where to look to obtain further information on George and Anne Brocklehurst born around 1761.  Then had three children and Anne's name on the system shows as either Anne or Ann.  I don't know if they were actually married.  The lived in the Lower Whitley or Great Budworth area of Cheshire. The children details are as follows

Anne born around 1785
Peggy born around 1787
Martha born around 1788
Samuel born 1791 died 1854

I have tried to attach some info but it keeps saying file too large and unfortunately l dont know how to screen print using my tablet.  lf you do need to see the info l have found up to now please let me know and I'll try and get hold of a laptop as mine is broken at the moment and l will do this for you all.   

I hope you will be able to point me in the right direction so that l can continue with my family tree.  I am new to this and am finding it very addictive.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 July 20 14:13 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit surprised that no-one has come back on this yet, but I've just had a little look and am wondering if you need to consider surname variants.

All the above baptisms (the first in Little Leigh, the others in Lower Whitley) give the residence as Dutton, which is in the parish of Great Budworth. Looking for marriages there I've found one in 1781 between George Brockilow and Ann Fryar, both widowed. (There was also one for a Thomas Brockilow on the same day.)

Looking in the registers (they're at FindMyPast) there are a lot of entries for Brockilow/Brockelow in Great Budworth - it may be that with the baptisms in other parishes the minister wasn't familiar with the name and wrote what he thought it was. Among others in Great Budworth I noticed burials of the wife of a George in 1780, George in 1775, and George aged 78 in 1814, all from Dutton.

You didn't explain how you arrived at George's birth in about 1761. Sometimes you come across estimated birth dates based on a supposed average age at marriage, but this can be very hit and miss and shouldn't be relied on.

Hope this helps.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline Willow11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 July 20 14:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you Arthuruk.  I managed to get a birth date of 1761 for George Brocklehurst as l located a death record for George he died 6 Jan 1830 in Great Budworth and it quoted his date of birth as 1761.  I will definitely look into what you have found with the name variations.  Thank you for giving me some more leads 

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 July 20 15:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, I can see that burial now. If Brockilow/Brockelow is a variant of Brocklehurst, then given the number there are in that area, I think you may have some untangling to do...

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish records George brocklehurst - Cheshire
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 July 20 06:53 BST (UK) »
in 1841 census - Samuel Brocklehurst states born 1791 -  was born in COGSHALL, Budworth ,Cheshire
Cogshall
population 103 - 18 houses
https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3019

ADDED Cogshall to Dutton is 4 miles - I have passed through Dutton many times - but have never heard of Cogshall - so I am just presuming as Dutton is fairly well known - Dutton was given as hometown - but they were actually living in Cogshall - what do you think ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford