Author Topic: Are you awaiting the 1921 Census release?  (Read 5055 times)

Offline Brickwall Demolisher

• RootsChat Member
  • Becoming possibly more extinct each day.?
    • View Profile
Are you awaiting the 1921 Census release?
« on: Tuesday 23 June 20 11:03 BST (UK) »
I'm probably like so many of us awaiting for the release of the 1921 Census.?

To me this census should hold or may hold, fill in some of my gaps that are missing of information?, hopefully it will have the answers ? ( or will it just add more confusion?) The findings that I have on my predecessor's - I have collated together from 1905? Information that I have gathered. The 1921 Census will be / is the last one that I will be able to research? I'm in my mid 70's I cannot see me being around for any further Censuses, the next one to be released from the 1921 Census will be the 1951 Census. ?
The 1931 Census was totally destroyed by fire.
Census for 1941 did not happen because of the War, but thankfully we had a pre second world war 1939 Census taken.
I have my research from the approx. time / year of 1918 and following on from has brought me sort of up to date. I have mainly found the information through the Electoral Roll Registers as my Family had luckily stayed in the same area/s for approximately 50/60 years then upto the 1970's

I have to wait patiently for the release of the 1921 Census, which is due in 2022.
All research then I take it, we will have to rely on just Church records - if they have managed to survive through the war years?

Stay safe - Best Regards, JUST J
Maycock LAMBETH 1700-1960's
Burcham NORFOLK ??/LAMBETH 1700 - 1960's
Wentzell CRIPPLEGATE/SOUTHWARK 1700-1960's
Sadler CAMBERWELL / LEWISHAM 1700 - 1960's
Elliott WALWORTH / 1700 -1960's
Lepine FRANCE/KENT/WALWORTH/1550's-1950's
Barnes DORSET / WALWORTH
Roberts GLAMORGAN,WALES

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Are you awaiting the 1921 Census release?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 16:36 BST (UK) »
Me too. The Scottish Census will hopefully be released sometime in 2021 if things go according to plan.
The 1931 Scottish Census is safe and sound having been stored in Edinburgh and not in London so will hopefully be released around 2031.
As I am in the same age group as you Brickwall Demolisher I am now asking myself 3 questions -

1.  Will I still be around in 2031 -    That's in the lap of the Gods
2.  Will I still be of sound mind  -     Hopefully but who says I am now?
3.  Will I still be interested        -     Most definitely.

My late parents will be listed on a census for the first time. Mum was born in 1918 and brought up by foster parents. Never legally adopted as that did not come in until the late 1920's. How will she be described on the census? Can't wait to see.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 June 20 13:23 BST (UK) »
I'm looking forward to the 1921 but even more so the 1931 as I'd like to see my Dad on the Census.  Lucky like Dorrie my family were in Scotland at the time.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 20 14:25 BST (UK) »
My mother and father will both appear for the first time on the 1921 census, I know where my father was (in childrens home) , my mother will be with her parents but I`ve a choice of 2 homes as they lived with her grandparents when she was young and I don`t know when they moved.

I`m expecting Mum`s grandparents  to have various other members of the family, my 2x gt grandfather, various uncles and aunts.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 October 20 12:38 BST (UK) »
I'm looking forward to the 1921 but even more so the 1931 as I'd like to see my Dad on the Census.  Lucky like Dorrie my family were in Scotland at the time.

Yes, I'm looking forward to the 1921 England Census, to see who was in the Households with my kin.

Two of my Gt Grandfather's Sisters ended up moving back to a place in Yorkshire and I want to try and discover if there was a motive for doing so.

Might be a coincidence, but one never knows!
 ----------
The 1931 Census returns, including schedules, enumeration books and plans, were completely destroyed in a fire in Hayes, Middlesex, where the census was being stored.

As they were stored in England, I presume this will be the 1931 England & Wales Census.
 ----------
Not heard much about the England 1921 Census.

If I remember correctly the 1911 Census was released a little before 100 years at TNA, but Covid is wrecking lots of plans currently?

Mark

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 October 20 12:50 BST (UK) »

Not heard much about the England 1921 Census.

If I remember correctly the 1911 Census was released a little before 100 years at TNA, but Covid is wrecking lots of plans currently?

Mark

FindMyPast have the contract and anticipate releasing it in January 2022

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1921-census
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 October 20 13:27 BST (UK) »
I understand that the 1921 Census was the first where a legal 100 year rule was in place.

Before then there was a "gentleman's agreement", but when the period is specified in the Act of Parliament it becomes difficult to sneak round.

Different rules applied in other places. The 1921 Census of Canada has been online for quite a few years now, and the USA are currently showing up to 1940. The USA has a 72-year rule, so it's April 2022 for their 1950.

Busy year approaching!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 October 20 13:36 BST (UK) »

I’m hoping that the 1921 Census for Wales will turn something new up on my elusive paternal grandfather William James Wilson (1860 - 1937).

Am I right in thinking that the 1921 required ages to be given in years and months?

If so, it might help me to pin his DOB down somewhat...

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 October 20 13:41 BST (UK) »
The link I gave earlier has
age - this was now required as years and completed months, rather than just years as in previous censuses
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1921-census
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk