Author Topic: The end of hibernation  (Read 5401 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The end of hibernation
« Reply #90 on: Saturday 27 June 20 09:30 BST (UK) »
The Welsh First Minister is spot-on, a second wave will result in further lock-down as has happened elsewhere in the world, however regretful a minority behaves, the only weapon he has this side of a vaccine.
 Hissy fits & tantrums are not helpful, try common sense!

Skoosh.

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 27 June 20 09:39 BST (UK) »
Pheno, I broadly agree with your analysis except for the fact that as one of the "older generation" I am very much in favour of restoring full freedom now. This would not prevent those who regard themselves as vulnerable continuing to take whatever precautions they consider appropriate; the rest of us can get on with our lives.

The science has progressed and changed greatly since the start of the three week lockdown yet we still have UK governments trying to control much of our day to day lives and in particular in a most cruel and heartless way micromanaging our social interactions with friends and family. If I give my daughter a hug I am a criminal! What an appalling abuse of power to criminalise normal family life.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Saturday 27 June 20 09:53 BST (UK) »
Yes sonofthom, i fall into the older/underlying health category, but am all in favour of restoring full freedom.  Yes agree that those who wish to take precautions could continue to do so in whatever manner they are able to - but without upsetting the restoration of normal life for the rest of us, which actually seems to be contrary to what they are aiming for.  So as not to upset the cart for themselves they seem to feel the need for everybody else to be restricted too.

I just don't understand how some people feel they are going to survive once shops start allowing less restrictive practices and public transport becomes more full as workers begin to return.  The world can't just stop turning!

Plenty more I could say but won't. 

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 27 June 20 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hissy fits & tantrums are not helpful, try common sense!

So true Skoosh.  Hissy fits and tantrums about people going to the beach in hot weather won't stop people going to the beach.  Especially as in England this time next week they will be allowed to do so virtually restriction free.

Common sense says the council should bring in some skips for the rubbish* and some portable toilets# to help ease the pressure on the limited facilities that are open.

-------------------------------------------
The Dorset Chamber of Commerce chief executive said "It would have been common sense to ask people to remain in their home counties while we recover from the crisis and to give places like Dorset time to prepare to welcome visitors back."

BCP Council leader, Vikki Slade, said the council had been "incredibly well-prepared" for the influx of beach-goers.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53190553
-------------------------------------------

Which of the above was it then?

The BCP council leader also said they have been having problems since May - so how much more time did they need to prepare for an influx of visitors in hot weather at the end of 'lockdown'?

For months people have been talking about huge growth in holidays and day trips in the UK due to flight restrictions and people now being more reluctant to fly.  Summer 2020 has the potential to be a bumper season for UK beach resorts, in part making up some of the losses from earlier in the year.

The response from BCP and Dorset Chamber of Commerce to this golden opportunity?
DON'T COME HERE
::)
Common sense indeed.

*You won't entirely stop litter louts from dropping their rubbish wherever they are, but 'common sense' says providing bins or skips closer to where people are congregating at least encourages the semi-responsible to use them.

#With festivals and outdoor events cancelled the portable toilet hire companies must be desperate for work. With toilets in pubs and restaurants unavailable, and social distancing reducing the capacity of the facilities that do exist, then 'common sense' says councils should hire in additional facilities that are currently sitting in depots doing nothing.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Saturday 27 June 20 12:18 BST (UK) »
So infections and deaths are still fairly high, yet now the Government is relaxing quarantine rules when returning from some countries and  lifting blanket restrictions on non-essential travel from 6th July.

My sister and family were due to go to Minorca at the end of July but a couple of weeks ago were able to swap it for Gran Canaria next July. She said she's glad they did that, otherwise if bans have been lifted, they would have had to have gone this year or lost their money! She said she wouldn't feel safe and I expect a lot will feel the same, but I doubt if insurance will pay out now if flights are allowed.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk