Author Topic: Walter Smith Durban  (Read 372 times)

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter Smith Durban
« on: Tuesday 23 June 20 20:22 BST (UK) »
Trying to trace a couple who emigrated from Buckie, Scotland to Durban, South Africa. Their names are Walter McGeorge Smith (born 25 November 1894) and Williamina Thomson (born 6 October 1896). They had a daughter Mary (1919-1970) and son born in 1922, both in Scotland. A newspaper excerpt dated 1931 tells me they were in South Africa by then, so it's possible they had more children.

Ideally I'm trying to find when the couple died and if they had any more family.

I'm still relatively new to navigating South African records but I have checked the Deceased Estate Files all to no avail. I did find a baptism record for their son's daughter dated 1947, and it disclosed the name of his wife. There's also a Passenger List recording their daughter Mary who returned to Scotland from Durban in 1955. Unfortunately I don't know if they are still living or not. I haven't been able to find any more records through Ancestry.

Any help would be vastly appreciated.

Best,

Greg

Offline Louton16

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Smith Durban
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 January 23 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

We have some information relating to the family of Walter and Williamina.

Are you a family member?

Thanks
Lou

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Smith Durban
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 23 11:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a civil death Notice for him in 1957 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6ZSG-WZHC - he may not have left an estate. He was married at the time of his death.

And her civil death notice in the cape https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:DDWP-8CW2

Neither appear to have left an estate.
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual