Author Topic: Arrivals James Hatch  (Read 857 times)

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arrivals
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 23:28 BST (UK) »

Several years ago I researched James Hatch, I have now decided to have another go ....
So I have a 7 year gap.
I am trying to find when he left England & arrived in NZ what ship etc. I've spent hours going through ships lists ....

Hi missmuddle

Just to advise that it is not always possible to find records (especially shipping/immigration) - and particularly for the time frame you seek.   

But because James HATCH settled at Charleston (West Coast, South Island), history suggests it is likely that he was "enticed" there when gold was discovered in 1867.    And like many other men, it may be that he first travelled to the gold mining centres of Australia - before coming on to New Zealand for the Otago gold rush in 1861 ??

The following seems to be your James J. HATCH mentioned in this 1865 list of unclaimed letters from the Otago Province.  [ I didn't actually find this myself - it appears in one of the online Trees for J J HATCH.    But it is nevertheless helpful. ]
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/ODT18650612.2.23.3

~  Lu

Edited to add :  ...   because it isn't highlighted in newspaper article  -  look under "Weatherston" (this place was also known as "Weatherstones")

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 23:41 BST (UK) »
.. a possibility ??

From Melbourne, Australia to Otago, NZ - March 1863 - per "Aldinga II"

Passenger :
    Mr J. HATCH

As was often the case, sketchy details - no age or occupation given in the shipping record (but HATCH is not a common name ? )
Will see if there's anything further to be had for this voyage.

~  Lu

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 June 20 00:29 BST (UK) »

.... John was a Master Baker, I am unable to decipher Jessie's occupation on the marriage cert, and have no other information on her before the marriage.

Am assuming "John"  you mention above, is "James John HATCH"  ?

A little more for Jessie >

I found the following "In Memoriam" notices which had been placed by Jessie's son in a Wellington newspaper.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19130530.2.4

...  Jessie lived 46 years on the West Coast so that puts her arrival time (at that location) somewhere around 1865.
[Okarita (sic) usually known as "Okarito" - where William THOMPSON her late husband had been, is also part of the West Coast. ]

...   [NOTE:   Cemetery record (Nile Cemetery, Charleston), shows Jessie MOUAT died 29 May, 1911 - aged 72 years.    The memorial notice shows date of death as 30 May and aged 74 years ?     ]

...   Jessie's son is commemorated as "William David Lawrence THOMPSON - d. 5 May 1927 aged 60 years. R.I.P."  on headstone at Karori Cemetery, Wellington, for his wife Alice Amy, who died 30 May 1912.

...  ??   Jessie has acquired another forename (Muir) ?    And (curiously) ... no mention of her having previously been "Mrs HATCH"  ???

~  Lu

Offline missmuddle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 June 20 11:51 BST (UK) »
Lucy,
Thank you I didn't have the licence details. This give more info on Jessie.
Also from Australia is interesting, family story is that he went to OZ first, there is a 'Hatches' creek near Alice springs (it's still on the map) but I could find no other info.

Offline missmuddle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 June 20 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucy,
Again thank you, you ask the same as me, 'why no mention of Hatch' when she keeps the Thompson bit.
In 1873 I have a child called Jessie Muir Thompson Hatch.

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arrivals James Hatch
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 June 20 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

Some info for "Hatches Creek", Northern Territory, AUS.   
https://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/placenames/view.jsp?id=13468

Said to probably have been named for "Joshua HATCH, a stockman (1866-1930)".

~  Lu

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 June 20 23:15 BST (UK) »
Can you please list all the details on these two records -

NZ BDM marriage
1868/8378   HATCH  James    marr.    THOMPSON  Jesse   

NZ BDM death
1887/1156   HATCH   James John   54Y      

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 June 20 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi again missmuddle

Really have to say that a lot of the work on researching the HATCH family of James John, has already been done.    :)

There are a number of seemingly well-researched trees (@ancestry site), supported by documents and photos.    It may be to your advantage to perhaps get in touch with some of the tree owners ?

I'll continue to look for NZ-related info for you though.

~  Lu

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 June 20 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi missmuddle

Another researcher of the HATCH family, gives information of the marriage in Australia -1 November 1857 at Carisbrooke, Victoria,  - of James' sister, Caroline HATCH (to Baron RUFUS - "Baron" is a christian name in this case, and not a title.)   Marriage certificate shows a "James HATCH" as a witness (very probably then this is Caroline's brother ?)

There is also a record of a voyage from Melbourne to Otago, NZ, in December of 1862, of a Mr and Mrs RUFUS and child, per ship "Dublin".    [This is just 3 months earlier than the "Mr J. HATCH" is found travelling same route in March 1863. See my earlier post. ]

[ A child "Rose Driscoll RUFUS" is born in NZ, 16 January 1866 - her birth registered at one of the gold-diggings towns in Otago.  Her father's occupation at his marriage was "miner".   By March the RUFUS family are back in Melbourne where sadly, this little girl dies - death cert says she had lived in Victoria for just 8 weeks. ]

Yet to find the HATCH siblings entry into Australia.

~   Lu