Author Topic: Philadelphia House of Corrections 1947  (Read 694 times)

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Philadelphia House of Corrections 1947
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 June 20 14:27 BST (UK) »
I checked some newspapers, too.  No luck.  I don't find the name Kynakides but I do find people named Kyriakides.  Are you sure your spelling is correct?

Hi Erato
the spelling varies considerably but he wrote his name Kynakides, others used variations from Kinakedes, Kyrakides, Kynakedes.   Thanks

I checked The Philadelphia Inquirer's obit/Died section from 8 Feb - 14 Feb issue by issue instead of doing a search, his last name has several possible variations as well as  being a tough name for OCR to recognize correctly, making it easy to miss if it exists. I found nothing.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 June 20 14:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help.  Yes when he died (heart failure) his home was 211 Walnut Street, Phila and his natralization commenced 1916 and I think completed 1922,  505 South 3d Street, Phila, all of his contacts were in Phila.

The address, 211 Walnut St.,  is for the Seamen's Church Institute.

The Philadelphia Inquirer
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Friday, March 07, 1947 - 24

The bridge is an annual contribution toward the furtherance of the work and the maintenance of the Institute which has been in operation as a welfare agency for merchant seamen since 1920, with headquarters at 211 Walnut st.

The Seamen's Church Institute grew out of water front missions, of which the Floating Chapel of the Redeemer, operating on the Delaware from 1849 to 1854, was one of the original agencies. It Is open to men of all nationalities and all ratings, and all creeds enjoy the facilities of the place, which at the present writing has lodging accommodations for 228 men.

During the past year 12 rooms have been added and the place lodges on an average of 220 men a night. There are recreational facilities, a library, chapel, an opportunity for banking money when men come ashore and a restaurant for the use of those who make it their home and still others who visit there from time to time.

This Central City Auxiliary, one of 12 in Philadelphia and the vicinity, helps provide a Thanksgiving dinner every year, as well as contributing a supply of knitted good, along with special gifts at Christmas and such occasions. The Auxiliary, which sponsors 10 rooms, keeping them in good repair, has made substantial contributions to the mortgage reduction fund and in times past to the building fund. Books and magazines are needed constantly for distribution aboard ships, as well as for use there in the reading rooms at 211 Walnut st.
Among the events held at the Institute Is "coffee hour," on Friday evenings, supplementing the regular Tuesday evening entertainments, which have been traditional since the Institute started. There's a constant need of replenishing Its shop chest which furnished garments for men facing hardships of life ashore, after their funds have become exhausted between voyages.

Offline AncestryPete

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 June 20 16:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help