Author Topic: Adoption records - Ireland  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Daler68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Adoption records - Ireland
« on: Thursday 25 June 20 03:00 BST (UK) »
Bit of a long shot, but the more I think on this, the more I think my great great grandfather may have been adopted, and I am wondering is there a record of adoptions in the 1800's in Ireland?

The reason I ask, is that my Gx2 grandfather was 'allegedly' born in Donegal, Ireland in 1816 - but no records exist of birth/baptism (that I can find) although he is splatted throughout the 1901 census records, and all those records match together with the rest of the family history...

His mother is 'apparently' Anne Reilly, and his father is just simply unknown.....But I have just come across a record of a Mary Anne O'Reilly, 'having a son' that matches my Gx2 grandfather's name, year of birth, and country of birth but ..... she is married to a man with a completely different surname to my Gx2 grandfather, and all there other 10 children are listed as "his" surname.....and I just wonder, if / possibly my Gx2 grandfather was adopted into that family?? It won't answer how/why different surname's but...

Out of all the birth/baptism records I have looked at, the above is the absolute closest (full name, year and country of birth) that I have come to matching my family together.....

Any information would be greatly appreciated.....thanks Dale

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption records - Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 June 20 05:02 BST (UK) »
I have no idea what 'splatted' means.  Formal adoption did not exist in the 1800s so you won't find any records.  Church records in Ireland are not complete, more so if the family weren't Catholic and even then some parishes don't have surviving records going back as far as 1816 (if that is the correct year of birth).

You would be easier helped if you can give his name and anything you already know about him.

Debra  :)

Offline Daler68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 June 20 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra,

"splatted" - Australian slang for 'spread across' - sorry :-P)

The family were Roman Catholic, and I can find records for his child (Charles Rodan), and so on down the line, but I have no birth/baptism records or details of James Rodden, born 1816 in Donegal Ireland (so no idea whom his father was/is) James' mother is 'apparently' Anne Reilly (again, no records to confirm this)..James apparently married a Catherine O'Donnell in Carlow, Ireland 1845 approx - (again no records to confirm that either) I do have the death certificates both both James & Catherine.

I am only after his birth/baptism details - not census, not court records, not dog licence records etc - I have all of those already.

James & Catherine are my missing link's....

Thanks Dale

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 20 07:00 BST (UK) »
You need to be specific about the source of your information.

"..my Gx2 grandfather was 'allegedly' born in Donegal, Ireland in 1816"

What is your source for the location and year? Is it a marriage certificate....death certificate?

"..His mother is 'apparently' Anne Reilly, and his father is just simply unknown"

What is your source for mother's name? Is it a marriage certificate....death certificate?

If you are researching the origins of Charles RODAN it would be useful to know what information you have about the birth, marriage and death of Charles RODAN.

What documentation do you have for the BDM events for Charles RODAN.

"..I do have the death certificates both both James & Catherine."

Can you please list all the information on the death certificate for James.

Can you please list all the information on the death certificate for Catherine.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 June 20 10:10 BST (UK) »
Daler this is for other researchers, I know you probably have all this info

Some of the information comes from Charles Rodan's obituary  in The Murchison Times, WA 22 Dec 1834 giving an age of 81 born in Donegal. no mention of his parents or other relatives back in Ireland.
this gives him a birth c1853

There are numerous trees on Ancestry with the names James and Catherine being his parents
siblings on the trees
Brian 1842
Michael 1857
Grace 1860
Bridget 1863
Hannah 1865
Elizabeth 1866
James died (according to the trees) 1883 and Catherine in 1904

Alternative spelling Rodden used

Daler68
There are gaps in the early births, there is no indication that they have the same mother.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 June 20 10:22 BST (UK) »
Just checked the birth record for Hannah Rodden 1865 reg district Milford and her parents are DANIEL RODDEN and CATHERINE O'DONELL

can't find a reg for Elizabeth 1866
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 June 20 10:36 BST (UK) »
James Rodan married in 1876 aged 31, bachelor, living at Cloonmore and gives James Rodan (farmer) as his father
a witness was an Edward O'Donnell

reg district Dunfanaghy co Donegal

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 June 20 10:47 BST (UK) »
sister Mary married Francis McCarry in 1869 as a minor, she also gives James Roddan as her father. Address Cloonmore

Charles names one of his Children Brian Bernard.. same name as his brother and nephew, so the odds are they are the correct family.  Not sure about Hannah being correct though

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 June 20 11:00 BST (UK) »
jc26red reply #4. Typo in Charles Rodan's death year - wrong century.
Cowban