Author Topic: Adoption records - Ireland  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption records - Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 June 20 11:10 BST (UK) »
Just checked the birth record for Hannah Rodden 1865 reg district Milford and her parents are DANIEL RODDEN and CATHERINE O'DONELL

can't find a reg for Elizabeth 1866

Elizabeth registered 4th Jan. 1867 in Dunfanaghy Superintendent Registrar's District. Born Clunmore 30th Dec. 1866. Parents James & Catherine (formerly O'Donnell). James' occupation was farmer.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 June 20 11:37 BST (UK) »

His mother is 'apparently' Anne Reilly, and his father is just simply unknown.....But I have just come across a record of a Mary Anne O'Reilly, 'having a son' that matches my Gx2 grandfather's name, year of birth, and country of birth but .....

There might have been any number of women named Anne/Mary Anne Reilly/O'Reilly/Riley having children in Donegal around the same time, most of them undocumented.
For example, one of my Irish ancestors was Annie. She has been incorrectly identified in online trees  with the result that she has multiple online identities and several sets of parents. One tree owner conflated 2 women with the same name and allocated her 15 children, born over a 30 year period in different parts of a county (2 named James btw). The truth is that her "official" name wasn't Anne, it was Honor, a very popular name in her part of Ireland at the time. An Irish Ann in another line may have been Hannah or Hanora - she couldn't read or write. No baptism record for that Ann. 
Cowban

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 June 20 14:31 BST (UK) »
If the family had always lived in Clonmore/Cloonmore and used the church at Clondahorkey (where Charles' siblings were married) then there are no known church records before 1877.

https://www.johngrenham.com/records/rc_church.php?churchid=1010&parish=Clondahorkey

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/1010

https://www.townlands.ie/donegal/kilmacrenan/clondahorky/ards/clonmore/

http://donegalgenealogy.com/Clondahorkyproj.htm

Debra  :)

Offline Daler68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 June 20 01:10 BST (UK) »
Hi all, wow, just a bit of information you have all thrown up...

Right this minute - the ONLY concrete evidence I have in my possession here at home are the death certificates of Charles, James & Catherine.

The death certificates states;-
Charles Rodan, died 13th Dec 1934, 81yrs, Melville Hotel, Yalgoo, Western Australia, Australia
(Charles married Mary Anne Emily Cresswell Eaton, 20th Dec 1894, Dongara, Western Australia, Australia - father listed as James Rodan, farmer

James Rodden, died 10th June 1883, 67yrs, Dunfanaghy, Donegal - Informant Brian Rodden, son, Cloonmore. (on attached photo of headstone, James is listed as James Rodan, with date of death 20th June 1883 - this headstone is apparently in Doe Cemetary, and again, I can not get anyone to verify this)

Catherine Rodan, died 03rd June, 1904, 87yrs, Dunfanaghy, Donegal - Informant Brian Rodan, son, Cloonmore.

All the information I have relating to the marriage of James & Catherine - in Cloonmore in 1845 ... is pure conjecture, and family legend - no one has seen or found any actual records relating to this.
The same applies to his 'mother' Anne Reilly and also applies to the births of James & Catherine - James born 1816 Faugher, Donegal, Ireland / Catherine born 1817 Mayo, Ireland.

Especially on ancestry.doc there are a multitude of tree's that states Anne Reilly is James' mother, with several others stating mother Anne Reilly and stating that Owen Rodden (b 1789, Mecklenburg, North Carolina, United States) is his father.

I have made contact with most of the owners of the family tree's on ancesty.com, and again no-one actually has any documents regarding the births & marriage of James & Catherine.....

thanks everyone

cheers Dale

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 June 20 02:03 BST (UK) »

Catherine Rodan, died 03rd June, 1904, 87yrs, Dunfanaghy, Donegal - Informant Brian Rodan, son, Cloonmore.

All the information I have relating to the marriage of James & Catherine - in Cloonmore in 1845 ... is pure conjecture, and family legend - no one has seen or found any actual records relating to this.
The same applies to his 'mother' Anne Reilly and also applies to the births of James & Catherine - James born 1816 Faugher, Donegal, Ireland / Catherine born 1817 Mayo, Ireland.

Catherine Roddan was in son Bryan's household at 1901 census. House 4 in Clonmore (Ards, Donegal) www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Ards/Clonmore/1172605
According to the census Catherine was 82, born Donegal, was married and could read and write.
Bryan was 59, born Donegal, married, could read & write.
Also in household were Bryan's wife + children - Mary, Bernard, Michael, Grace, James, Charles and Daniel.
The form was filled in by the census enumerator and Bryan didn't sign it. Information may not be  accurate - e.g. Catherine down as married. Ages of many old people on 1901 census were incorrect. The language column is blank.
It was the only family spelled Roddan. Most common spelling in Donegal was Rodden on 1891 census.
Only 5 households in Clonmore. One was Edward O'Reilly & family; children Catherine, John, Bernard and Maggie.
Was Bernard a popular name in Donegal? 
Cowban

Offline Daler68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 June 20 04:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Maiden,

Not sure if Bernard was a popular name or not - some docs refer to Bernard as Brian (or Bryan) and the spelling varies from Roddan, Rodden, Roden, Rodan etc......I know, for me, it is sure as hell confusing when a Brian has a son called James, who has a son called James, and Brian, and they in turn have a Charles who has a son called James :-P)

cheers Dale

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 June 20 06:20 BST (UK) »
Something you might want to explore further, sometimes it pays to go sideways

Griffiths valuation for Clonmore 1856 (you probably already have this)
Bryan Roddin renting from Alex J R Stewart

then in conjunction with the petty sessions of 1855
Alex J R Stewart took the following men to court for coming and violently assaulting....
Paddy Roddin
Hugh Roddin
James Rodden (Carren)
Francis Roddin
Neddy Roddin
they were all fined
were they all brothers?  no Bryan listed though
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 June 20 06:28 BST (UK) »
James and Catherine also had a daughter called Margaret who married James Harkin on 10 Feb 1872 at Clondahorky, address given Clonmore, father James Rodden, farmer.

Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 June 20 06:30 BST (UK) »
Again, I think you have this from earlier threads - Tithe Applotments 1834 Cloonmore - Bryan Roden
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004587419/004587419_00439.pdf

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk