Author Topic: Adoption records - Ireland  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Daler68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption records - Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 June 20 06:52 BST (UK) »
Hi JC,

James was indeed a naughty boy, there are numerous court records both as witness & participant. I don't believe any of those listed are related to my James...

Now this I did not know -> James and Catherine also had a daughter called Margaret who married James Harkin on 10 Feb 1872 at Clondahorky, address given Clonmore, father James Rodden, farmer - at all..........do you have a link for that at all??

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 June 20 06:54 BST (UK) »

Griffiths valuation for Clonmore 1856 (you probably already have this)
Bryan Roddin renting from Alex J R Stewart

then in conjunction with the petty sessions of 1855
Alex J R Stewart took the following men to court for coming and violently assaulting....
Paddy Roddin
Hugh Roddin
James Rodden (Carren)
Francis Roddin
Neddy Roddin
they were all fined
were they all brothers?  no Bryan listed though

Some weddings.
1877 Dunfanaghty Superintendent Registrar's District Anthony Rodden, son of Edward.
These at Milford S.R. District:
1891 William, son of Edward
1891 Julia, daughter of Francis. Julia's address was Scotland.
1891 Catherine, daughter of Hugh
All 3 marriages were on same page in the register.
1895 Hannah Rodden, daughter of Edward
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 June 20 07:30 BST (UK) »

Now this I did not know -> James and Catherine also had a daughter called Margaret who married James Harkin on 10 Feb 1872 at Clondahorky, address given Clonmore, father James Rodden, farmer - at all..........do you have a link for that at all??

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en
It's the free government site. You have to register.
Select Civil Records, enter surname Rodden and Dunfanaghty district, tick marriages to find Margaret's marriage and those of Grace (1882), Catherine (1883) and Lizzie (1890).
There was another Grace, whose father was also James, married in Milford District 1877.
Cowban

Offline Daler68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 June 20 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Maiden,

The thing that confuses me, is if you cross check with births for Margaret Rodden, the 2 records I can see, has Margaret being the daughter of Bryan Rodden and Mary Anne McGee, and the 2nd being the daughter of John Rodden and Catherine (formally Doog??? can't read the rest of it) - neither of those are James Rodden & Catherine O'Donnell

Yes the marriage cert for Margaret Rodden & James Harkin, states her father as James Rodden, I can't find birth/baptism for Margaret....

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 June 20 11:11 BST (UK) »
If the family had always lived in Clonmore/Cloonmore and used the church at Clondahorkey (where Charles' siblings were married) then there are no known church records before 1877.

https://www.johngrenham.com/records/rc_church.php?churchid=1010&parish=Clondahorkey

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/1010

https://www.townlands.ie/donegal/kilmacrenan/clondahorky/ards/clonmore/

http://donegalgenealogy.com/Clondahorkyproj.htm

Debra  :)

Daler68 see the above...  registers before 1877 are missing
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 June 20 18:54 BST (UK) »

The thing that confuses me, is if you cross check with births for Margaret Rodden, the 2 records I can see, has Margaret being the daughter of Bryan Rodden and Mary Anne McGee, and the 2nd being the daughter of John Rodden and Catherine (formally Doog??? can't read the rest of it) - neither of those are James Rodden & Catherine O'Donnell

Yes the marriage cert for Margaret Rodden & James Harkin, states her father as James Rodden, I can't find birth/baptism for Margaret....

Margaret was "full age" when she married in February 1872. That means she was 21 or older. Therefore she was born 1851 or earlier. Civil registration of births began 1864. So you won't find a birth registration for Mary.
Elizabeth's birth was registered (born Dec. 1866, registered 1867). Hannah's birth (1865) might have been registered. Bridget (1863) would have been born just too early for registration. Not all births were registered during early years of registration. (e.g. birth of my "Annie" was registered but the birth of one of her younger sisters wasn't.)
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 26 June 20 23:37 BST (UK) »

Some of the information comes from Charles Rodan's obituary  in The Murchison Times, WA 22 Dec 1834 giving an age of 81 born in Donegal. no mention of his parents or other relatives back in Ireland.
this gives him a birth c1853

There are numerous trees on Ancestry with the names James and Catherine being his parents
siblings on the trees
Brian 1842
Michael 1857
Grace 1860
Bridget 1863
Hannah 1865
Elizabeth 1866

There are gaps in the early births, there is no indication that they have the same mother.

2 more possible early siblings to add from information on their marriage registrations:
Margaret married 1872, stated to have been "full age". so she would have been born 1851 or earlier.
Catherine married 1883, stated age 30, giving her an approximate year of birth 1853, if she gave correct age at marriage.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 26 June 20 23:59 BST (UK) »
Just checked the birth record for Hannah Rodden 1865 reg district Milford and her parents are DANIEL RODDEN and CATHERINE O'DONELL

can't find a reg for Elizabeth 1866

I couldn't find a birth registered for Hannah with parents James & Catherine. I tried variants of Hannah, extended search years and districts. She may not have been registered.
The only birth registration I found for a child of James & Catherine (formerly O'Donnell) was Elizabeth.
Daniel & Catherine Rodden (O'Donnell) also had Daniel 1868 and Catherine 1869 (+ likely older children born pre civil registration).
Cowban

Offline Daler68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 27 June 20 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Maiden,

James Rodden, died 10th June 1883 at 67yrs, so his birth year 1816
Catherine Rodan, died 03rd June, 1904, 87yrs, so her birth year 1817
Charles Rodan, died 13th Dec, 1934, 81yrs, so his birth year 1853

Am only trying to find details of James & Catherine.

My eldest brother has all the details of the rest of the family...

thanks