Author Topic: Charles Pearce b 1867 Albury NSW  (Read 1085 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Pearce b 1867 Albury NSW
« Reply #27 on: Friday 10 July 20 09:32 BST (UK) »

Thank you for passing on the information from the birth certificate. I cannot think of any angle to follow. By way of possibiities -

* Charles PEARCE and Mary RYAN were not married, so likely Charles was still married to someone else.

* With three sons born, and no son Charles, there is possibly already a son named Charles.

* Bonner (with variations) ...a name to look for as connection to earlier generation.

* Albury on Vic / NSW border so Charles's early life might be in either state.

* Name might have started as PEARCE or PIERCE?

* And you have no signature for Charles PEARCE?

Offline Mamac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Pearce b 1867 Albury NSW
« Reply #28 on: Friday 10 July 20 10:24 BST (UK) »
I have no signature for Charles PEARCE. I looked at marriages between 1885 and 1897 for him in NSW, Victoria, South Australia and from 1897 in Western Australia for Charles Henry and Henry Charles Pearce, Pierce, Peirce, Pearse and nothing has leapt out at me...

If he was a carpenter by trade, he MAY have been a member of the carpenters and joiners union in WA. The next time I go to the state library, I'll see if I can find him. There are records from 1897. I'm not sure what that will gain me.

I also thought he may have been an apprentice in NSW or Victoria, but cannot find any records of indentures. They at least would have given me his fathers name.

I have contacted the Scots Albury School archivist in the hope that there might be early entrance records still in existence. I am yet to hear back.