Author Topic: Covid resolutions  (Read 1175 times)

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Covid resolutions
« on: Thursday 25 June 20 10:57 BST (UK) »
Did you make any resolutions to tackle a particular job during lockdown?  I resolved to bring my family history paperwork into some kind of order. file it, write an index naming all the people in my tree with brief notes, so that any family member can make sense of my tree when I am gone.  Filing was roughly achieved, index still stuck around 1800.  It turned out to be more complicated than I had envisaged. ::) Still plodding on after 3 months......

.....but I'm not alone - yesterday I heard Judi Dench confessing that she had resolved to learn all 154 Shakespeare sonnets by heart.  So far, she confessed, she had learned just 9!

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Covid resolutions
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 June 20 11:49 BST (UK) »
I started off really well, windows, curtains and moving beds around, spring clean I suppose you could call it, my husband actually got the paintbrush out, then he was ill, we don't know if he had the virus but was diagnosed with pneumonia, so that put a stop to a lot of good intentions, I wanted to have a good clear out of kitchen utensils, never used , plus under cupboards, we don't do as much entertaining as we used to and I know having thought about a new work top and new doors and drawers I would need to de-clutter, well I didn't do anymore, so if it cools down that will be my next job, the charity shops will be full to over flowing if everyone takes their unwanted things at the same time, so that is my excuse, stagger taking things to the charity shop and dump

I have done a lot of shredding and sorting out my FT papers but I really ought to buy some really nice books to store my certificates in, I have written my life to date, my granddaughter asked for it, I had intended to leave it to her along with a "grandma "book  that I have filled in, she is reading my life at the moment and will ask me questions, hope I can remember it all by the time she gets round to it.

In some ways I feel I have wasted a lot of time over the past weeks

Take care

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 June 20 12:04 BST (UK) »

In some ways I feel I have wasted a lot of time over the past weeks

Take care

Louisa Maud

Me too!

I was going to go through all old paperwork, sort out photo albums, completely de-clutter the house...

3 months later how much of that have I done? - none. I've spent nearly all my time either phoning or messaging friends, family & neighbours, & later seeing them in the garden, a bit of painting (not as much as I wanted - too busy!) practised ukulele - helped by my group meeting twice a week on Zoom, re-discovered my garden.... In other words I've mostly done exactly as I pleased - but feel I've frittered away the time  >:(

I have made some new friends - several slightly more distant neighbours I'd never met before so that is a real bonus.

So for me - although I'm desperate to actually hug my children & grandchildren - there have been some good things to come out of this (although I lost a good friend to the virus) & it's certainly made me re-evaluate my life & how I spend my time. And I'm so grateful to all the younger people who've been contributing to my well-being in so many different ways.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 20 12:15 BST (UK) »
I to lost a cousin early in Apri to the virus, quite out of the blue, I have no idea if he had any underlying problems, he was a teacher, only aged 68, yes, it certainly makes one think of things in a different way, whilst the lock down was on we were sitting on garden chairs waiting for our  suite to be returned having been re-upholstered, they offered to recover the dining chairs, my husband thought the cost was a bit high, I said " no pockets in shrouds and you can't take it with you", done, we now have our suite and chairs returned all recovered, so whilst we don't have mega bucks to spend I am looking at what I spend and what we need to make ourselves more comfortable

I have also realised who my true friends actually are, some more treasured than others for various reasons

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 June 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
I've decided I've done wonderfully with my lock-down intentions.

It's only me judging  ;) ;) ;)
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 June 20 12:39 BST (UK) »
Actually I think this strange time has had some benefits and has made us look at and maybe re-evaluate our way of life.  (I was hoping that Boris felt the same after his dreadful experience, but no such luck - back to the old bluster. ::))  It's certainly made me think about what is important in life, anyway.

One thing I did resolve to do was to lose weight after my GP muttered something about "possible pre-diabetes condition".  So far, so good.  The scales tell me that the pounds are coming off in a satisfactory way, though there's a long way to go yet till I reach my target weight. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 June 20 17:25 BST (UK) »
My Covid resolution was not to catch Covid. So far so good.
Other vital gaol was to reach the end of treatment without it being cancelled by the hospital or interrupted by me becoming ill or suspected of being ill. A massive tick for that, although most of the effort required wasn't mine.
Healthy eating intentions went awry through circumstances beyond my control in March and April.
A "could do better" on exercise front in spite of starting off well. (Pep talk from nurse a fortnight ago.)

Report card: 2 A stars and 2 C's in core subjects. I'm awarding myself B+ for unplanned health education on 2 topics and D for statistical interpretation. 
Everything else can wait.

Currently listening to "BBC Inside Science" about 20th anniversary of the human genome project. Includes an interview with a genomics expert. I've benefitted this year from advances in genomics.
Cowban

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 June 20 22:18 BST (UK) »
  I keep trying to sort out my family and local history papers, but I have to keep going back to the computer to check things. Then I go off on tangents and that is as far as it goes.
   With no library, I am reading my own books, and having read rather too many Georgette Heyers last week (an omnibus volume!) I am now on Pilgrim's Progress. It has been on the shelf for years, never read.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 June 20 11:52 BST (UK) »

With no library, I am reading my own books, and having read rather too many Georgette Heyers last week (an omnibus volume!) I am now on Pilgrim's Progress. It has been on the shelf for years, never read.

I should think the contrast of the two writers and subject matter will be refreshing  ::) ::) ;D :o ;)  :D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex