Author Topic: Caroline CROSS  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Caroline CROSS
« on: Thursday 25 June 20 15:15 BST (UK) »
Caroline was born in Walworth in 1828. Assuming I have the right baptism, her parents were William CROSSE, a fishmonger, and Mary Ann.

In 1841 she was working as a servant in Bedford Street, Newington. And in 1851 in Great Dover Street, Newington. In 1851, she was working alongside Anne DANIELS, who was later to be her sister-in-law.

Her first child, Charles John CROSS was born in June 1853 in North Row, Tottenham. On the birth certificate, the father is named as William CROSS (her father?), a miller, and the mother as Caroline CROSS, formerly WEBB. I have no idea where WEBB comes from.

At the subsequent private baptism held in Tottenham, the parents are again named as William and Caroline CROSS. The father is a miller. The residence is given as Cambridge, which I suppose could be a reference to either the city itself to the Great Cambridge Road, which passes through Tottenham.

Her second child, was Thomas George CROSS, who was born in 1858. According to the GRO index, he was born in Dorchester, and the mother's maiden name was DANIEL. At the subsequent baptism in Islington in 1862 of Thomas George DANIELS, the father is named as Thomas DANIELS, a labourer, and Caroline DANIELS. Their residence is given as Brunswick Road.

The third child was Anne DANIELS, who was born in 1860. She was baptised alongside Thomas George in 1862. The 1861 census finds the family living in Fulham: Thomas (29), brick-maker, Caroline (28), Charles (8), Thomas (3) and Anne (7m). Clearly, the couple were now considered themselves married and subsequent children were named as you would expect.

Assuming that they got married, it was probably between 1858 and 1862. But it continues to elude my efforts.

I would really like to clear up the circumstances surround the birth of Charles John and locate the subsequent marriage. Any help would be gratefully received.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline CROSS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 June 20 15:21 BST (UK) »
As you say maybe they never married and the first child's birth certificate was a cover up of an unmarried mother.

I have a similar birth certificate where mum claims to be married, names a "husband" but never actually married till much later (and to someone else)

Does the first child marry and name a father?  Was Caroline's mothers maiden name Webb?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 June 20 15:40 BST (UK) »
1881 census has a lady called Jemima Burnett who links back to the name Webb so it seems that name is a clue somewhere.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 20 15:41 BST (UK) »
Charles John married Isabella ELLINGHAM in 1882 in Tottenham, naming his father as Thomas DANIELS.

I have yet to locate a marriage for Caroline's father, William Cross. All I know about him was that his wife was Mary Ann and he was a fishmonger. I know that Caroline had a twin sister, Elizabeth. In 1841, Caroline, aged 11, had already left home and was working as a servant in Bedford Street, Newington.

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 June 20 15:42 BST (UK) »
Millipede - could you elaborate on 1881C.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 June 20 15:50 BST (UK) »

Thomas Daniels 52
Caroline 51
Annie 20
Ellen 16
William 10
Alfred 8
Albert 4
Jerrimina Burnett 51 boarder

hints lead to a Jemima Webb marriage in 1874 to John Burnett but she dies later in 1881

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 June 20 16:17 BST (UK) »
Very interesting, I had always ignored the boarder. I wonder who she is? Given her age, it would seem likely that the 1874 marriage would have been a second one.

I presume she must be related in some way. As far as I know the connection is not through Thomas, as I jhave never seen a Jemima associated with any Daniels. So I guess it must be through Caroline - a married sister?

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 June 20 16:25 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth CROSS (Caroline's twin) married Thomas UPTON on 01 Aug 1858 in Lambeth. Her father is William CROSS, a boot maker (!). Samuel Cross is a witness.

In 1881C, Jemima CROSS (32) and Henry CROSS (25) are living with the married couple. She is a sister-in-law and he a brother-in-law.

Are Elizabeth, Samuel, Jemima and Henry all related to Caroline? Finding the CROSS family in 1841 or 1851 might help.

Add: Having looked at 1841C and 1851C, I think this Jemima CROSS belongs ro a different family living in Lambeth.

More hopeful, though not necessarily leading anywhere, there is a servant in the 1871C working in Tottenham named Jemima WEBB who comes from Cambridgeshire.

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 June 20 17:29 BST (UK) »
It would appear that Jemima WEBB was born in 1830 in Croxton, Cambs. Her father was John WEBB and her mother Esther CROSS. She had 6 brothers and 3 sisters, including a Charles John who was born in 1834 and emigrated to USA in 1856. They were a family of Millers, living in the 1841C at Croston Mill, Croxton, Cambs.

So clearly the Webbs and Crosses are related. The Cambs and miller bits now first. No definite proof on the father, but several candidates.

But what about Caroline's marriage?