Author Topic: William Beggs Barrow in Furness to Natal  (Read 700 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Beggs Barrow in Furness to Natal
« on: Thursday 25 June 20 15:32 BST (UK) »
hello
William Beggs was born 1878 in Barrow in Furness to parents George and Mary Beggs. He is on the 1881 and 1891 census with the family. In 1901 there is a William Beggs a boarder who is a ships engineer.
We have a silver t set which says WM Beggs, Natal Staff ,The Union Castle Mail Steamship Co 20/9/1906.
Initially we thought a retirement gift but now think more likely a wedding gift--but all guesstimates. No one to ask. Unfortunately know  nothing about him .

So this next  record may not be him .Record on ancestry of a William Beggs and wife Ethel leaving Durban and sailing on kenilworth Castle arriving Southampton 30/3/1925. Ship belongs to union  Castle line. Address gong to 1 French Street Vickerstown ,Barrow in Furness . Does he stay ? have not been able to find another shipping record. But nor can I find a death for him.

On another ancestry shipping record for 1933 there is a Richard Beggs 60 of 1 french Street going to New Zealand . However he does return at some point as he dies 13/4/1940 Barrow. I am sure this is Williams brother as shown on the census returns .

Against Williams  name in the ship From Durban  it just says Client rather than give a occupation as the other passengers have done. So you can understand why I am wondering if this man and the t set are connected.

Would greatly appreciate any information .
Thank you

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: William Beggs Barrow in Furness to Natal
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 June 20 15:36 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at 1 French Street in 1939.  Occupants match two of those on 1891 for your William
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 June 20 15:45 BST (UK) »

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 20 16:19 BST (UK) »
Ah Thank you found their marriage . William married Ethel Anning Voysey in Durban 26/9/1906.
 Yes i see now Richard , his sister and her husband ( whitmore)  living at  the same address .
There is a William Beggs in 1939 in Bootle b 18/7/1878 but is listed as single . A Brass finisher and ship Repair man --so not sure .

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 June 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
Kenilworth Castle in 1915 going to SA lists him as a Clerk - Mr W Beggs and Mrs Beggs.

ALSO
14 Oct 1921 Mr & Mrs W Beggs - 54 Nelson Street, Barrow in Furness occ Clerk- Llanstephan Castle
They were travelling 1st Class

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 June 20 16:38 BST (UK) »

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 June 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
gosh Rosie this is fantastic.  Nearly too hot to be indoors on the computer --but hotter outside at present so on the case.
 I have found Ethel Beggs in 1950 coming back from Durban via Mombasa to her sister in laws home at 86 Central Drive Barrow-she is sailing alone but -listed as a house wife.  Margaret  Whitmore nee Beggs husband had died 13 July 1950.
So very much looking like William and his wife die in South Africa. Not sure how we ended up with the tset.
Thank you so much

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 June 20 17:15 BST (UK) »
31 degrees here,  I have stayed in all day with the fans going  ;D.   At least the dog did not want to go for his afternoon walk.  I hope we get some rain later.

They certainly got around.  I wonder who Richard was visiting in NZ.

Really good that you ended up with the teaset.

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 June 20 17:31 BST (UK) »
Will have to ask around about Richard. I was going to say his niece but looking at dates they didn't go to NZ to some time after his death. Have failed to find William and Ethel death records on family search but no matter. Taking Ethels mothers probate Ethel was a widow before 1943 . And Ethel sometime after 1950. Now I know this it may jog a few memories. Once again very many thanks.