Author Topic: Elihu Moss 9th Lancers  (Read 441 times)

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elihu Moss 9th Lancers
« on: Thursday 25 June 20 16:42 BST (UK) »
My 3x great grandfather, Elihu Moss, born Bristol 1795 was a soldier in the 9th Lancers from 1813 to 1841. I have a list of Barracks they stayed at during those years. My question, would anyone know if the whole regiment would move, or just fragments of it? I am trying to establish whether he was at Ballinrobe Barracks, Ireland in 1825/26. I have his record of service, it just says served at home. Back then Ireland was included in the UK. His son, Walter Moss born 1835 lists his place of birth as Newbridge, Ireland. The regiment were at Newbridge in 1835. Many thanks as always

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elihu Moss 9th Lancers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 June 20 20:45 BST (UK) »
Regiments were not always all together in the same place.  (From newspapers)

4 May 1825 "a detachment of the 9th Lancers marched from Westminster to Bristol en route to the HQ of the regiment at Ballinrobel"
 12 Sep 1825 "a detachment of (other regiments) 9th Lancers embarked on 24th ult at Dublin for England en route to the Riding Establishment at St John's Wood"
9 Mar 1826 - "3 troops of the 9th Lancers.... to Scotland..." which was the start of one year in Scotland (from the regimental history)

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 June 20 22:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks MaxD. His son Elihu was born 1827 at Fulford, York. However, his other son Calvin born abt 1825, I cannot find a baptism for. The other children’s births seem to tie in with my list of places.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 20 22:51 BST (UK) »
Irish BMD record??

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 June 20 10:01 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Irish registration didn’t start until after this period. I’ve checked parish records, but seeing as the family weren’t catholic, nothing is coming up. Out of all Elihu’s children, the only 2 Baptisms I can’t find are Walter, 1835 Newbridge and Calvin 1825. This leads me to believe that they are most likely to have been born in Ireland.