Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 25th June  (Read 981 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 25th June
« on: Thursday 25 June 20 22:47 BST (UK) »
Woke up reasonably early, was thinking about getting up then all of a sudden it was an hour later. Don't know if it was the heat that sent me back to sleep, the bedroom was so clammy, had to splash cold water on my face to wake up. Took my second cup of tea outside, could have just dropped off again in the warmth!

Off for my walk, was wearing sandals so could feel that the grass on the field was moist, hadn't seen or heard any rain. Glorious sunshine, not many people about, must have all gone to the beach early.

Was having my lunch when the doorbell went ding ding ding ding ding, followed by a load of loud knocking on the door, nearly jumped out of my skin. It was a woman delivering a parcel, she said she always knocks when she can't hear the doorbell as she doesn't know if it's working. The parcel contained my parasol base, hooray! Took it into the back garden, filled it with water and had to stand it on its side to put the plug in, I thought it wasn't going to fit but it did when I gave it a good push. Initially thought the parasol wasn't going to fit either but worked out what to do despite no instructions, tightened it up and it was perfect. Really pleased as it was another scorcher but a nice breeze today.

Did very little all day, sat in the sun with my head in the shade of the parasol, reading my Kindle. Just after 4pm I went to meet my friend, she was so glad to be out after working from home all day. We had a lovely walk down to the coast road again, breezier there but much nicer than the last time. Stood aside down the lane to let a couple through, not many people on our way. She then led the way through some woodland that I didn't know existed, round by some allotments and back across the field towards home. About an hour and a quarter walk, really enjoyed it.

Been reading an article in our local paper about the amount of rubbish that had been left on our beach including dirty nappies, yuck, how disgusting. Local people had cleared it up, shouldn't have to.

Tea and telly, that's it for tonight. Hope everyone has enjoyed the sunshine, make the most of it, rain forecast to move across the country some time tomorrow.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 25th June
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 June 20 00:37 BST (UK) »
Glad you got your parasol base in time today Roobarb.... you're brave sitting out was far too hot here got up to 32C!
Nice to be near the coast where you get those sea breezes...

I got woken up at 5.30 am by not sure what... tossed about for a while and dropped off to sleep only to be woken by a very noisy motorbike that I heard for ages.... managed to get back to sleep again. Finally up at usual time... not going to say when as people might think I'm lazy.. 🙂🙂

It was very warm already, had breakfast... sat and chatted caught up with Roobarb suggestion of Vac Mat who had been on tv on Tuesday morning giving his expert thoughts on vacuum cleaners... he was very good and for a 15 yr old very knowledgeable...he'll go far that boy... still haven't made up my mind what to buy ...
Decided to do the ironing whilst it was relatively cool 🤣🤣 had the fan on as well as both windows open!
Friend dropped of some shopping I'd forgotten yesterday...
OH has spent all morning composing a letter re motorbikes to Clerk of parish council and got to 'send' and our internet dropped and he lost the letter... not once but twice... he wasn't too happy...
Sky said last Saturday when I called there was a fault outside the house so their responsibility and would be fixed within 5 days.... this is Day 4! It's been fine all week so clearly not wind and rain! Phoned them up and was told they were working on it right this minute... really!said it would definitely be fixed by end of today if not tomorrow ... great if not I'll be on the phone again!
Had some lunch...
Decided to do some washing as I knew it would dry quickly...
far too hot to go out so went to finish face coverings ... finally first 40 now done... ready to start next lot tomorrow..
Shower and up to neighbours to sit in their garden with a glass of wine... lovely and cool there...
by the time we got home just got spaghetti sauce out of the freezer...
Watched bit of tv...
Quite tired so hopefully get good nights sleep...
Can't believe all these people on the beaches today....

Hope others day wasn't too hot

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 June 20 08:48 BST (UK) »
Well done Roobarb for wrestling the sunshade into place, and then enjoying it.  Lovely you had a nice walk in company.
Caroline: I will often compose stuff in word, and then copy and paste it using internet, so I don't lose stuff that way. Fantastic sewing work continues. You are marvellous.

Up early, and another gorgeous day.Shot straight in the shower as I expected mayhem, and I knew it would only get worse, so I wanted to be dressed and ready. Just about managed to finish my breakfast when the painters arrived and the phone started ringing. 
It's my birthday, so very happy to get a call from my younger son in Oz, and the children singing happy birthday, and telling me their news.  They were very excited to know if the parcel they sent to me has arrived yet, and were only slightly mollified when I promised that I was delighted to have it to look forward to.
Loads of greetings arriving by various different media, and I like to answer every one, it is lovely to get so many good wishes.
Drove over to Cockington Village for our morning walk.  The rose garden is looking wonderful, enhanced by robins and swallows.  Such a lovely time of the year.  We walked down around the lakes, ducklings, wagtails and dragonflies, and then back through the village, where we stopped for an ice cream before returning home.
Despite the beautiful weather we can't sit on the balcony because of the painters, so after a light lunch, (saving myself for the tea party,) we walked down to the beach for a paddle.  There was a lot of people down there, but thankfully it was quite easy to avoid getting too close. 
I think people prefer to go to North Devon or Cornwall for surfing, and so far we aren't getting the influx such as at Bournemouth.
Came back and enjoyed some scones and jam, and thought of RC friends, and hoped you were all in fair spirits.
Ordered a take away from the Chinese opposite the harbour and walked down to collect it. We haven't had one since last year, and I still owed H for his birthday.
Watched a couple of episodes of the I.T. Crowd.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 June 20 10:08 BST (UK) »
Oh Mowsehowse- didn't know it was your birthday yesterday..... so

🎉🎉A VERY HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY 🎉🎉

I'm sure you had a lovely day, certainly weather wise, and hope you enjoyed your Chinese feast..

I do love to hear all about the wildlife you encounter on your walks too..

Enjoy today and hope it's not to peppered with complaints about the decorators...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 June 20 12:40 BST (UK) »
Yes and from me.
I have to log in every time, then again if I look  at say my PMs.
Don’t know why, seemingly my name Viktoria does not exist,I thought I had it sorted but no ,off again.
Number one son will come today with some shopping ,if he feels it is OK to come in he will sort it for me but quite few RootsChatters have very kindly offered help.
Well my neighbour not up at 10 -30 ,worried I phoned and then again at 11.
She answered, had only just woken up.
I was worried on two counts, her age etc but also  I made her an “ Afternoon tea for One “ box, salmon sandwiches, scone ,Almond shortbread and chocolate cake.
I thought  Blimey ,I have poisoned her!
Liked the shortbreads so will take some round in a while.
What lovely walks you have been taking ,I must get out a bit more .
I want the little dog, Griffon Bruxellois ,but I truly am worried there will be another peak in all this  given the idiotic behaviour we have seen and heard about.
What selfish morons!
If there is another peak, well , it will be difficult to get to Vet’s etc .
Hope everyone has as nice a weekend as possible ,given the many and various difficulties you have .
Cheerio.Everyone look after yourselves and it goes without saying you look after your families as much and as well as possible in these trying times.
Viktoria

I am not fit to be let loose with anything technical!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 June 20 14:17 BST (UK) »
Was sweltering so during the day did very little I'm afraid - did wash my hair and plucked up the courage to trim my fringe a little.   Thankfully it looks okay.

Since lockdown my sister, myself and 2 friends (who usually meet up 2 weekly) have been doing weekly quizzes via Whatsapp video.  Nice to see each other too.   However, we decided last night (as the weather still fine) to meet up at friend Mary's and sit (socially distanced of course) in her garden and had the quiz there (only my 3rd trip out since lockdown).   Enjoyed it so much.   Mary has a beautiful garden and has a birthday coming up in July - we'd asked her if there was anything specific she would like and she suggested a bird bath with us all clubbing together.   Friend Julie is now on the case as she has a day off (today Friday) and going out with her daughter.   Wanted to be able to view rather than order something online and 'googling' found some nice ones at The Range.   Can only hope our local branch has some. 

Flat didn't seem so hot when I got home and rest of evening passed smoothly - started a new jigsaw (well the edges).  However, when I went to bed it seemed to 'hot-up' - read for a while and took me ages to get to sleep.   Just lay on top of the bed with no covering.  Must have been 3 or 4am before I eventually dropped off.

Hopefully your night was better than mine!   Phew!

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 June 20 15:32 BST (UK) »
Thursday,

Cool here - minimum about 8 degrees but got up to a warm sunny 22 during the day.

Headed off early to my daughter's to dog sit her naughty dog. Got her washing off the line, tidied up a bit, then headed off to see my father with dog in tow.

Stopped at a pet shop on the way to buy her a huge goat horn to put aside to occupy her at a later date.

At my fathers the dog constantly had nose her to the ground, lots of exciting sniffs, barked at the alpacas and horses who live next door, and had great fun sniffing out the wallaby and (I think) bandicoot poo. I don't recall ever seeing so much of it.

We then went to my house so the dogs could play, took both dogs for a long walk. Daughter's dog was extremely tired by the time I took her home.

When I got back home my dog was asking for another walk as I predicted she might (body clock set to 4.30 sharp). Getting dark so just had to be a quick one.

Cooked a quick pork stir fry for dinner - fairly average.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 June 20 19:44 BST (UK) »
Caroline, whatever time it is you get up I certainly won't think you're lazy! When I was pushed into an unwanted redundancy I couldn't find much to be pleased about but the one thing I liked immediately was not being a slave to the alarm clock. :) I get up when I wake up, whatever time that happens to be (unless I have to get up for something particular).

Mowsehoowse - happy belated birthday! Lovely to have so many greetings, especially your family in Oz.

Viktoria - good that your neighbour was okay, I did laugh at your comment that you thought you'd poisoned her!

Annette, your garden quiz sounds lovely. Hope you got the bird bath you wanted. I have one that my stepfather made me years ago, I really enjoy watching the birds splashing around and the little ones on the edge having a drink.

Ruskie - naughty dog sounds less naughty today! Interesting to hear of all the different animals in the area, quite a change from our dogs and cats. (Not forgetting ducklings and cygnets!)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 June 20 20:10 BST (UK) »
Happy birthday MowseHowse, hope you had a nice day

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London